The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #19,596 of 24,807
So the same 12 people are taking the orders, designing product, doing shipping and receiving, doing repairs, assembling all the products in house and God knows what else? One can only pray that their new owner provides resources to take this operation out of the garage. The products are far too good to be subjected to this limitation. 

Sometimes, small teams are much more effecient than larger corporations. As of now, there has been no complain of Stax lagging too much behind to fullfill the orders. The SR009 is built on demand (by batches though of course), and you don't have to wait 6 months upon placing the order. The sales volume of Stax is still very small I think and I don't see a reason why they should turn into a 200 head corporation with a heavier top and less funding available for R&D for example.

For marketing, as you can see, Stax isn't spending huge amounts of money to make stupid videos illustrating the sound waves moving over the driver and this is almost always false information anyway. They make a brochure, give a couple of interviews and let the word of mouth propagate. I feel it is so refreshingly honest!

Sales network relies on distributors outside and sales agents in Japan. This is where Stax is hurting the most and some speculated that edifier could help with this. Doesn't seem to have moved much so far.

Only thing one might regret in the present state is that afaik there's a single engineer doing all the r&d. Stax develops pretty much only 1 product at a time so line refresh / new products don't turn out every 6 months. But I also appreciate this in some way. I don't want to see revisions of the 009 show up every xmas season that claim to destroy whatever product was sold before. Not that I don't appreciate innovation but simply that if you're refreshing a product every year, it probably means you should have avoided to release something half baked...

My 2cts anyway

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #19,597 of 24,807
Quote:
 Saw it on CL . My bad its an SRM-1 Mk2 . the guy also has the Stax- ED-1 .

Someone get this combination - it's very very good!

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #19,598 of 24,807
Quote:
Someone get this combination - it's very very good!

Indeed !!!
Quote:
How much is the ED-1? Are you going to get it?

$450 , Yes I am 
normal_smile .gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #19,599 of 24,807
I bet Stax operation is similar to Koetsu cartridges.

Quote:
Sometimes, small teams are much more effecient than larger corporations. As of now, there has been no complain of Stax lagging too much behind to fullfill the orders. The SR009 is built on demand (by batches though of course), and you don't have to wait 6 months upon placing the order. The sales volume of Stax is still very small I think and I don't see a reason why they should turn into a 200 head corporation with a heavier top and less funding available for R&D for example.
For marketing, as you can see, Stax isn't spending huge amounts of money to make stupid videos illustrating the sound waves moving over the driver and this is almost always false information anyway. They make a brochure, give a couple of interviews and let the word of mouth propagate. I feel it is so refreshingly honest!
Sales network relies on distributors outside and sales agents in Japan. This is where Stax is hurting the most and some speculated that edifier could help with this. Doesn't seem to have moved much so far.
Only thing one might regret in the present state is that afaik there's a single engineer doing all the r&d. Stax develops pretty much only 1 product at a time so line refresh / new products don't turn out every 6 months. But I also appreciate this in some way. I don't want to see revisions of the 009 show up every xmas season that claim to destroy whatever product was sold before. Not that I don't appreciate innovation but simply that if you're refreshing a product every year, it probably means you should have avoided to release something half baked...
My 2cts anyway

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #19,600 of 24,807
Quote:
I bet Stax operation is similar to Koetsu cartridges.

I bet they are not designing and building their own amplifiers (maybe they do final assembly). Nothing wrong with that it kind of explains a lot of things including the very long cycle between model changes. Until I saw the details of their sale I had no idea they were such a tiny company. Incredible international brand identity for such a small enterprise.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #19,601 of 24,807
Quote:
I bet they are not designing and building their own amplifiers (maybe they do final assembly). Nothing wrong with that it kind of explains a lot of things including the very long cycle between model changes. Until I saw the details of their sale I had no idea they were such a tiny company. Incredible international brand identity for such a small enterprise.

Koetsu only makes moving coil cartridges, some models are lot more expensive than the most expensive stat headphones.

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=530

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #19,602 of 24,807
Wow. .2mv. That's crazy.

Never thought I'd find something as simple as a cart sexy though. Wow.

Quote:

Koetsu only makes moving coil cartridges, some models are lot more expensive than the most expensive stat headphones.

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=530

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #19,603 of 24,807
009 related question. Has anyone found the best Pelican case for these yet? The fancy wood box isn't exactly the best for transport.

Preferably water tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back