The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #19,623 of 24,807
Experts,

What's an "OK" price for, stax sigma, sigma pro and sigma modded with 404 drivers ?

Also, can I get new 404 drivers from somewhere ? Or will I have to get old pair of 404s to get hold of the drivers.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #19,624 of 24,807
I am no expert but I just bought a pair of Sigma pro's that are absolutely mint except for the foam that deteriorates. It came with a T1 amp for $1100 that is in the best possible condition that 1 could be in but I have yet to try it out.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #19,626 of 24,807
I bought the set of Ebay but it was in the same city I have a place. Seems like they were nicely put away and not used very much. They also came with some brochures I have never seen before. The blue one has pretty much all Stax products from that time.

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #19,627 of 24,807
Dear all,

Wonder if anybody could help to guide a newbie here. I feel that an upgrade is probably in order for my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus, but what to, is a big question. There is a nice local shop with a good selection of equipment nearby, and it would be great to know which particular items from their offering are worth paying attention to.

If somebody would care enough to have a look at what they have on offer and single out a few models worth trying out, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/DACs-1

The prospective DAC would be fed either via USB (preferred) or optical from a MacBook Pro; output - unbalanced into a High-Amp Transistoramp V4, powering an SR007A.

Thank you!

-- Dmitri

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #19,628 of 24,807
  1. Audiolab M-DAC
  2. Audio-gd Reference 5.2
  3. Fostex HP-A8C
  4. Woo Audio WDS-1
  5. Schiit Gungnir
  6. Violectric V800

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #19,630 of 24,807
Oct 2, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #19,633 of 24,807
Quote:
Dear all,

Wonder if anybody could help to guide a newbie here. I feel that an upgrade is probably in order for my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus, but what to, is a big question. There is a nice local shop with a good selection of equipment nearby, and it would be great to know which particular items from their offering are worth paying attention to.

If somebody would care enough to have a look at what they have on offer and single out a few models worth trying out, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/DACs-1

The prospective DAC would be fed either via USB (preferred) or optical from a MacBook Pro; output - unbalanced into a High-Amp Transistoramp V4, powering an SR007A.

Thank you!

-- Dmitri

Had a look at the web site and nothing 'jumped out' at me. Have a look here

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18278&highlight=bushmaster

On page 63, a guy in Melbourne likes it ( you could e-mail him), also see page 79. The Bushmaster maker states that there are many happy Australian owners and you can e-mail the maker direct. And there are dealers in Aussie too (apparently).

This Dac with the Mark Grant PSU is considered to be the gorillas b***ocks of Dac's, unless you want to take out a second mortgage on something much more expensive. Anyway, read through for yourself. Service from both companies is excellent, and I think there's a 30day trial/refund system (definitely is with Mark Grant). I would DEFINITELY try one at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back