The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 10, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #3,137 of 9,165
Quote:
If iriver did not advertised the AK100 as a high fidelity DAP than i would not be a harsh judge on it and I would understand why people are pairing it with external DAC and amp but considering the amount of people who have purchased this and paired with external amp that tells me that there might be something serious wrong with it. 

There are people that use the DX 100 with portable amps, there are people that use portable amps with Cowon J3 (me).  I do so for that extra added pinch of good sound, but I don't think there is anything wrong with my Cowon J3, other than due to its size limitations, design goals etc, it can not provide what my amp can. My amp is over twice the size of the J3 and carries a battery almost half the size of the J3.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #3,139 of 9,165
Quote:

There are people that use the DX 100 with portable amps, there are people that use portable amps with Cowon J3 (me).  I do so for that extra added pinch of good sound, but I don't think there is anything wrong with my Cowon J3, other than due to its size limitations, design goals etc, it can not provide what my amp can. My amp is over twice the size of the J3 and carries a battery almost half the size of the J3.

My ideal audiophile DAP is a unit which has a decent enough amp section that will turn of alot of folks from pairing it with one. I think iriver planned for such a unit. I was planning to purchase a new IEM but I have decided to purchase the AK100 just so I can produce more educated comment. Worst case worst I pair it with Tzar 350. Any chance you can comment on the pairing of the Tzar 350 with AK100?

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #3,140 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
While on the move outdoors, the AK100 sounds just fine stock.
I guess our senses are just spread out while moving about, the little niggles go unnoticed.

However, having spent a good 7 months on the DX100 with my JH13pro (old version), could catch the subtle lack of dynamics when switching to the AK100. The AK100 is good on its own, just found lacking in presentation when matched up to the DX100.

However, as a standalone player, in terms of portability, memory expansion, design and capabilities, it's truly a great device on its own.

If iRiver were to release a successor to the AK100, with a better in-built amp, sabre ess9018 dac and a dedicated line out (just for the heck of using it as a transport), it would probably be the dream portable player for many including myself.
smile.gif

Is it true that this year, River is going to release the replacement model for AK100 with better performance and features but at less than half of its current price?
biggrin.gif

Heh, given my luck over the years in terms of buying hardware/gear, it'll likely happen next week!!

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #3,141 of 9,165
Maybe it has been mentioned in this thread, but I found out how to delete tracks from AK100.
On the screen with an open folder, just draw your finger from the right to the left on the track you want to delete. The confirmation dialog will appear with + and -. If you press "-", the track will be deleted.
Hope this helps somebody. I'm surprised nothing has been said in the manual about that.

How long does your battery last if connected to an external amp at full AK volume, playing hi-res (24/96-192)?

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #3,142 of 9,165
My ideal audiophile DAP is a unit which has a decent enough amp section that will turn of alot of folks from pairing it with one. I think iriver planned for such a unit. I was planning to purchase a new IEM but I have decided to purchase the AK100 just so I can produce more educated comment. Worst case worst I pair it with Tzar 350. Any chance you can comment on the pairing of the Tzar 350 with AK100?

I quote my friend,

"Hot. Very hot."

Me: "Ouch (sibilant)"

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #3,143 of 9,165
Quote:
Maybe it has been mention in this thread, but I found out how to delete tracks from AK100.
On the screen with an open folder, just draw your finger from the right to the left on the track you want to delete. The confirmation dialog will appear with + and -. If you press "-", the track will be deleted.
Hope this helps somebody. I'm surprised nothing has been said in the manual about that.

How long does your battery last if connected to an external amp at full AK volume, playing hi-res (24/96-192)?

cool find...thx for post...!

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #3,144 of 9,165
Quote:

cool find...thx for post...!

I wonder how many thing like that - not described in the manual AK100 has...
BTW, the iRiver+ program doesn't see my AK100 on none of my computers (32 and 64bit Windows 7 professional). I can live with that, I don't need this software,
but why iriver is developing it?:)

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #3,145 of 9,165
Quote:
Anybody know if the back surface of the AK100 is glass (what type?) or plastic? It seems to come covered with a nice plastic protective sheet.

Not glass!  It is brushed aluminum like rest of the body.   It might look like glass or plastic because of the plastic protective sheets that you mention that can be applied to the back (and the screen).  In general, the build is pretty sturdy.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3,146 of 9,165
Quote:

I'm sure there are a few, but I don't think there are too many people who will feel the need to use a portable amp with the DX100.  The DX100's amp is pretty impressive on its own.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #3,147 of 9,165
Quote:

I'm sure there are a few, but I don't think there are too many people who will feel the need to use a portable amp with the DX100.  The DX100's amp is pretty impressive on its own.

Like I said in the DX100 thread, I tried a few, and it is true that very few are worth the price / weight in my opinion. But it is nice to play around with amps and the DX100 to change the sound signature. Tralucent T1 and Triad L3 work pretty well.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #3,148 of 9,165
Quote:
Not glass!  It is brushed aluminum like rest of the body.   It might look like glass or plastic because of the plastic protective sheets that you mention that can be applied to the back (and the screen).  In general, the build is pretty sturdy.

The back of my AK100 is definitely not brushed in any way. It's very smooth and shiny, even under the thin plastic protector. Anybody else?

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #3,149 of 9,165
The back of my AK100 is definitely not brushed in any way. It's very smooth and shiny, even under the thin plastic protector. Anybody else?
I actually had to replace the back protector once. I managed to dent the back protector but nothing happened to the back cover itself.

I actually inclined to think its Perspex.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #3,150 of 9,165
Quote:

Actually, i think i might have misremembered what was under the protective plastic sheet.  I seem to be remembering now that it is some glossy plastic.  Ooops.  

PS I don't want to peel off the plastic protector to confirm either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back