The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #3,106 of 9,165
True. That is why I'm a bit disappointed with the amp section of the AK100. Even with the RWA mod I still find it lacking in dynamics.

Still 690 for a transport to do 24/192 files on the go is silly considering how most portable DAC can only handle 24/96 flac. More importantly the entire point of an audiphile advertised DAP is that it is an all in one unit, meaning there should be no need for an external DAC and AMP, it kind of does not make sense to me on why spend so much money on a gear that you will pair with an amp and a dac for on the go purposes. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #3,110 of 9,165
Quote:
Adding 250 to fix what seems to be a faulty devices is an expensive fix. I think at this stage iriver should look at revising this unit in a near future. Wouldnt that just make sense?

I think the price is very reasonable for the risk required to perform such a mod and its not like the mod procedures are a secret. The fix wouldn't be as audible to those using higher impedance headphones or using the player with external amps.

Quote: iRiver's response to the RWAK100 from Mike's AK100 Review @ headfonia.com
“Dear All,
I think you guys already known about “RWAK100”
Well, here are our mentions for this issue, please refer to it.
If you change AK100’s output impedance into 0 ohm (by taking off resistance)
PROS :
1. Sound become powerful.
2. enrich sound of high impedance
3. better balance for Armature unit drive earphone.
CONS :
1. Each headset has limitation of maximum output. By reducing impedance of AK100, there could be deterioration of headset and it cause short of circuit. In this case, it consume over 2W electric power and make damage of AK100 circuit.
2. When there is Static Electricity, it can easily damage of AK100. In this case, even it plays but there is no sound.
3. VOC and PL regulation issue will be happed by causing hypacusis and deafness.
4. Even it improves the sound power, it reduces smooth and delicate sound detail of AK100.
With these reasons, we do not recommend reducing impedance or any modification by users.
To prevent such unauthorized modification by end user, we use special screw driver for AK100. But if they carry out any kind of changes or modification by themselves and it cause any problem or issue, we are not obliged to provide C/S or A/S.”

Given the above could all be just iRiver covering the ass of the designing team, it is still factors to considering over getting it modded or not. I must admit the AK100's marketing budget must've been quite large, based on the number of famous Korean artists that were paid to promote the product. I might be nick-picking a bit, but some of the 'technical features' they were advertising during the premotional video was very contradictory.

Quote:
+1 on this question. AK100 as pure transport with the international or intruder, will it sound better than a DX100 ?

With higher end audio, its more or less a matter of preference. Although there are many factors affecting sound quality, the most important factor (imo) when it comes to portable audio is the DAC chip and its implementation. I don't feel there is enough power and current swing (batteries) to create quality portable amps whilst meeting portability/sustainability requirements. AK100 uses Wolfson 8740 (DAC magic), DX100 uses the ES9018 sabre chip (Anedio D1) and the new HM-901 using dual ES9018 sabre chips.

I feel the AK100 wasn't designed  for pure transport/line out as its battery life becomes very limited in those roles but those are just extra, extremely useful features. What I do like is its amp/output stage, I believe the digital volume just sets the line output level rather than applying any sort of gain (like a passive preamp) which allows you to use it as a line out at full volume.

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #3,111 of 9,165
The problem with that though is having an amp with enough headroom on its volume control to accommodate for that. The RWA AK100 gets really loud even before full volume. Add in sensitive IEMs and its not easy to achieve at all. Something more along the lines of the UHA4, Pico Slim would be suited for that type of situation.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #3,112 of 9,165
That iRiver response is silly. One, there is no special screw, there are torx and Phillips screws. A delicate sound is lost? There is none, IMO, with the stock version but there is on the modified. I found an improvement with all the headphones, regardless of impedance. I have never seen a responsible amp section designed to have 22ohm resistance.

Optical out of the DX100 produces to my ear, better sound than the optical out of the AK100 but the AK100 is still very good used as a transport.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #3,113 of 9,165
Quote:
When I first dropped my music on the AK 100 nearly all my covers where gone. I found, that it makes no difference if the resolution of the covers are 400x400 or 600x600 unless they are smaller than 100 kb.

Harald from Germany

That's amazing.....there is something the AK100 shares with the Sansa Clip Zip after all! Album art has to be under 100kb to display on the Clip Zip too.
Of course, many of us Rockbox to get around that limitation....lol

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #3,114 of 9,165
Quote:
Hmm, it looks like the iriver ecommerce shop is now selling the official leather case for the AK100. Looks a lot like the cases shown in the thread previously, minus the neck strap (without having to order from outside the US). Snazzy looking packaging and not a terrible price either at $50 + S&H. 

Check it out here: http://shop.iriverinc.com/index.php/accessories/cases/leather-case-for-astell-kern-ak100.html

Quote:

That looks just like the Dignis case but just with A&K embossed and no strap loop at the back. Even the box that the case comes in looks the same. At least it's cheaper.

Also on Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Astell%26Kern+AK100+Genuine+100%25+Leather+Case

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #3,115 of 9,165
Quote:
Still 690 for a transport to do 24/192 files on the go is silly considering how most portable DAC can only handle 24/96 flac. More importantly the entire point of an audiphile advertised DAP is that it is an all in one unit, meaning there should be no need for an external DAC and AMP, it kind of does not make sense to me on why spend so much money on a gear that you will pair with an amp and a dac for on the go purposes. 

Lets just agree to disagree.. I'm in the camp that is hunting for a pure transport device only and Id say based on the amount of headfiers (Rudi comes to mind) with multiple portable amps and portable dacs there is a huge market waiting to be tapped who want the same. There is a market who, like opamp swapping, swap devices to match their cans/IEMs. I for one, hate starting the chain locked to stupid iTunes

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #3,116 of 9,165
Quote:

Lets just agree to disagree.. I'm in the camp that is hunting for a pure transport device only and Id say based on the amount of headfiers (Rudi comes to mind) with multiple portable amps and portable dacs there is a huge market waiting to be tapped who want the same. There is a market who, like opamp swapping, swap devices to match their cans/IEMs. I for one, hate starting the chain locked to stupid iTunes

iTunes are smart nowadays
wink.gif

The Fiio X3 might deliver just that though it is not scheduled for release yet. Was looking high and low for a pure portable transport too but nobody wants to make it. There is demand for it, just that the demand is too low to induce any manufacturer to come in.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #3,117 of 9,165
Quote:

iTunes are smart nowadays
wink.gif

tongue.gif
 Not!

Dream Transport DAP can still have a basic amp/dac. I just want something that has a kobiconn balanced out, not locked down to Apple, non-clunky interface, 256 gig SSD, doesnt play Angry Birds and can play quality like the DX100 (24/192). 

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #3,119 of 9,165
sorry

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3,120 of 9,165
Quote:
funny, people complain that audiophile equipment does not play angry birds LOL

as a matter of fact i have Mac Mini dedicated exclusively for playback with all other features deactivated and all non-essential programs deleted. no updates of software, airport switched off, ports disabled, Audirvana Plus pure without integer mode and all USB ports and else disabled in playback mode. i would kill anyone who would want to play games on my Music server...

for this reason i could not be more happier to hear that AK100 is dedicated sole for music playback purpose, no stupid video, games and etc garbage which i would not tolerate on my hifi device :)

tell me what AK100 cannot do and the more faults you find the more appealing this will be for me, because the only thing which counts is playback of music, rest is not important. i can stand even mediocre UI if that will improve sound quality.

and have suffered with using iTunes to activate another iPhone 5 for my girls so i confess i never want to have this smartphone garbage. i use old simple phone for calling and iPad mini for internet. why would i want silly iPhone to do everything? and again iTunes is worst thing i ever experienced in Apple. wish Apple stops using iTunes for updates so i can delete it from all Macs in my house.

viva all players which are dedicated to sole quality sound playback :)))

Yeah, I agree.  If I want to play angry birds, I can play on my phone.  Lately, I have been leaving even that behind and just listening to music on my AK.   Think about it!  Would you rather listen to music that you really love or talk to people about their stupid problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back