The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #3,077 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
Just need to figure out how to get the internal drive of the player to show up as a drive on my Macbook Pro so I can put music on it as well

Connect the AK with the micro usb cable, hit "Connect as removable disk" on the AK interface, and it should show up as a mounted drive on your desktop.

Yep, I got that screen to show when I initially plugged-in & turned on the RWAK100 to my rMBP.  But then I unmounted the "AK100" drive, and I couldn't get that screen to show again (I kept the unit plugged into my USB port so it could keep charging).  I finally just did a reset & that screen showed again, so I'm now copying over music right now...s l o w l y.  Guessing/hoping I won't need to do a re-set going forward; that the screen to Connect as removable disk will always appear when first plugging in via USB.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #3,078 of 9,165
I bypassed the resistor using my own ultra high purity solid silver I have used for audio for years. I would say, that which has been written on the improvements to the sound are pretty much right on. A fuller sound and much more life to it and not as brittle or plastic sounding. The wire I use doesn't require much burn in. The general fullness now to the mids is a good/very good, improvement. Voice is much more pleasing now and realistic. Yes, I did notice the volume increase. :^)

iRiver is dumb for having done this. It is like, well we got it pretty right, now lets screw it up. Well at least Vinnie can straighten in out.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #3,079 of 9,165
Quote:
Yep, I got that screen to show when I initially plugged-in & turned on the RWAK100 to my rMBP.  But then I unmounted the "AK100" drive, and I couldn't get that screen to show again (I kept the unit plugged into my USB port so it could keep charging).  I finally just did a reset & that screen showed again, so I'm now copying over music right now...s l o w l y.  Guessing/hoping I won't need to do a re-set going forward; that the screen to Connect as removable disk will always appear when first plugging in via USB.

If the device is off or asleep, you need to turn it on before connecting the USB cable. If the USB cable is already connected when waking up, you won't get the prompt screen. At least, that's how mine works on Windows 7 x64.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #3,080 of 9,165
Funny discussion... to say the least. I mean WindowsX guy. I wonder what all this has to do with enjoying DAP and music. If AK100 sounds great WHO cares about oscilations and dumbinations of a person who most likely does not have it? I would not care ... I also find this nonsense poluting the board and find little relevance for end users to go into tech discussions. In the end you always see some people like WindowsX who got much time at hand to waste with little if any useful output.

As regards AK vs RWAK can anyone tell if going Rwak makes sense when I plan to use this with T1 amp? I still have to find good offer for this player may be used in mint condition. So using IEMs like RDB+ and T1 amp do you think I may still need moded version? Thanks

Byw, if anyone willing to sell his AK please PM me :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #3,081 of 9,165
if the manufacture put 22ohm resistor that means they did it for some purpose and I wouldn't remove it before getting thru the whole schematics being at least an expert in audio electronics.  Whatever Vinnie does it's totally up to him to "explore" some "improvements" but common sense advises against it.
If you want to "bypass" that 22ohm resistor - just use an external amp and be happy.
I used to be an electronic engineer and have build a lot of custom made  amps back in Russia (solid state & tube) . I don't trust this "magic" modification "reducing" output down to <1ohm. It's total bull$hit.  Sorry for my "french" but it simply does not make any sense to me.
My advice is - if you really want to power your AK100 just  save your  $250 , add some money and get yourself a decent amp.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #3,082 of 9,165
Quote:
Anybody having trouble with some tag in their songs? I have 56 songs that can't be read by the AK100. Foobar, iTunes, read the tag perfectly. I even deleted any tagging and re-tag them with Foobar but the AK100 still read them as unknown artist/album.

Try this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/2340#post_9122641

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #3,083 of 9,165
Does anyone know if iPhone-style inline remotes work with the AK100? I'm thinking of getting this cable for my UE PRMs that were just delivered! 

http://social.logitechue.com/promos/inline-remote-and-microphone-cable-for-custom-in-ear-monitors/

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #3,084 of 9,165
Quote:
if the manufacture put 22ohm resistor that means they did it for some purpose and I wouldn't remove it before getting thru the whole schematics being at least an expert in audio electronics.  Whatever Vinnie does it's totally up to him to "explore" some "improvements" but common sense advises against it.
If you want to "bypass" that 22ohm resistor - just use an external amp and be happy.
I used to be an electronic engineer and have build a lot of custom made  amps back in Russia (solid state & tube) . I don't trust this "magic" modification "reducing" output down to <1ohm. It's total bull$hit.  Sorry for my "french" but it simply does not make any sense to me.
My advice is - if you really want to power your AK100 just  save your  $250 , add some money and get yourself a decent amp.

No one ever referred to the mod as magic. The process and outcome has been explained quite clearly by Vinnie. 

The point of a unit like this is to eliminate the need for a bulky amp so mod to rectify issues or compromises with an initial design shouldn't be dismissed.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #3,085 of 9,165
Quote:

Rather than just flippantly dismiss this (which I discourage on the forums in general) why not discuss it in detail, preferably without the "french"? 
smile.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #3,086 of 9,165
Quote:

I have also designed and built amps (tube) and see little to no point to the resistor. Also adding an amp isn't going to help, you already have a source going into the amp with 22 ohms when it should be 1 or less ohm. One amp company had a good design but it could be made better so I designed a power supply that improved it that they use to this day. Just because iRiver is a fairly large company doesn't mean they have a lock on an understanding for what they have done, history has shown the fallacy of that reasoning. The DAP sounds much better without the resistor and functions fine. Also, without the resistor it sounds much better with an amp now. The improvement is not small.

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #3,087 of 9,165
@Jamato8

How does the AK100 stock amped compare to the DX100 amped IYO?

Have you used the AK100 optical/balanced out to the DB2 and if so your thoughts?

Thank you in advance

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #3,088 of 9,165
Quote:
@Jamato8

How does the AK100 stock amped compare to the DX100 amped IYO?

Have you used the AK100 optical/balanced out to the DB2 and if so your thoughts?

Thank you in advance

The AK100 stock to a good amp sounds better than stock but still not as open or as well presented as the DX100, imo.

The optical out is good. To the DB2 to the iBasso balanced amp or to theRSA Intruder, the sound really opens up and you get the good qualities of the Wolfson dac, nice natural detail, imaging and solid bass.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #3,089 of 9,165

There is an audible difference between the AK100 and RWAK100 amped to an external amp unless you're using an optical cable. Honestly the RWAK100 just sounds better. If iRiver had a reason, that's good. But they should realize that <1ohm would've been much better.

@Vinnie

RWAK on!

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #3,090 of 9,165
question withdrawn, stupid me, i found out AK100 phone out also works as optical output, great.

another question is IF use Ak100 as pure transport into decent amp-dac device like The International or use Ak100 line out to feed a decent (but dac-less) amp?
it's all about sound signature you will get with both solutions. so how good is AK100 onboard DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back