The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 9, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #3,091 of 9,165
Quote:
question withdrawn, stupid me, i found out AK100 phone out also works as optical output, great.

another question is IF use Ak100 as pure transport into decent amp-dac device like The International or use Ak100 line out to feed a decent (but dac-less) amp?
it's all about sound signature you will get with both solutions. so how good is AK100 onboard DAC?

+1 on this question. AK100 as pure transport with the international or intruder, will it sound better than a DX100 ?

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #3,092 of 9,165
Quote:
+1 on this question. AK100 as pure transport with the international or intruder, will it sound better than a DX100 ?

I dont know if I would pay 690 for a device to use it as a transport. If you want to do that you better off buying something like cypher lab db which is an excellent DAC for post PC and idevices and as well can also be used as a transport for your iDevices which have an excellent UI! 

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #3,093 of 9,165
audionewbi, i am not sure you can totally bypass iPhone or iPod sections... is this right? i never heard about this being a possibility but i am not knowledgeable on iPhoPods....

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #3,094 of 9,165
Quote:
I dont know if I would pay 690 for a device to use it as a transport. If you want to do that you better off buying something like cypher lab db which is an excellent DAC for post PC and idevices and as well can also be used as a transport for your iDevices which have an excellent UI! 

Id pay that money for a device that was purely a transport device with a non-buggy, fast and sexy interface, with SSD storage (more than 64gig)  that allowed me to play 24/192 FLACS.

I think there is a market for a device that allows people to choose their own DAC and AMP in full balanced mode. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #3,095 of 9,165
Quote:
Id pay that money for a device that was purely a transport device with a non-buggy, fast and sexy interface, with SSD storage (more than 64gig)  that allowed me to play 24/192 FLACS.

I think there is a market for a device that allows people to choose their own DAC and AMP in full balanced mode. 

Agreed!

Honestly I've done the RWAK-International and its been a great combo.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #3,096 of 9,165
I thought that International doesn't have optical in. Are you using it with the RWAK100 analog out?
Quote:

Agreed!

Honestly I've done the RWAK-International and its been a great combo.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #3,097 of 9,165
Quote:
I thought that International doesn't have optical in. Are you using it with the RWAK100 analog out?

Yep, which is why I use the RWAK (thanks to the <1ohm impedance). Its pretty good, actually.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #3,098 of 9,165
Yep, which is why I use the RWAK (thanks to the <1ohm impedance). Its pretty good, actually.

Do you max out the volume when doing this? How's the battery life been compared with no external amp?

I am looking into the international too.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #3,099 of 9,165
Depends on the DAC in the Intruder or International. I know using it with optical on iQube V3 is just pure awesomeness! Too bad the battery life suck.. only 4 hours.
Quote:

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #3,100 of 9,165
Quote:
Do you max out the volume when doing this? How's the battery life been compared with no external amp?

I am looking into the international too.

Yes, and the battery life has been decent, actually. Not much of a problem for me...

The International's great. I love that it can drive low impedance IEMs and the HE-6 all in the same little amp.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #3,101 of 9,165
would you like AK100 fix you a beer with popcorn ? You're asking for too much, my german friend.
Quote:
Wow, it took me 4 days to read me through that thread but it was worth it!
I own a AK 100 for 3 weeks now. First tried it with my Shure SE 535 which sounded not that good. There was very little bass.
So I had the chance to buy a 14 days old Sennheiser IE800 and what a difference! This is what I was looking for, a tiny player with good sound and earphones you just have to plug in and forget it. This combination sounds great.
On the other side I miss the comfort of the iOS devices. Plug and Play.
When I first dropped my music on the AK 100 nearly all my covers where gone. I found, that it makes no difference if the resolution of the covers are 400x400 or 600x600 unless they are smaller than 100 kb.
Next thing I tried was to get the lyrics on board. I have a Mac and I couldn't find a way so far to get the lyrics on the screen of the AK 100.
Is there anybody who can lend me a hand?

Harald from Germany

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #3,102 of 9,165
thanks for posting impressions. i like what i hear about the International & RWAK100. but cannot AK100 with International be the same? i am not knowledgeable about techs in portable audio. problem is RWAK costs 250$ more. otherwise could be an ideal combo.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #3,103 of 9,165
Quote:

Still 690 for a transport to do 24/192 files on the go is silly considering how most portable DAC can only handle 24/96 flac. More importantly the entire point of an audiphile advertised DAP is that it is an all in one unit, meaning there should be no need for an external DAC and AMP, it kind of does not make sense to me on why spend so much money on a gear that you will pair with an amp and a dac for on the go purposes. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #3,104 of 9,165
agree, problem is there is no DAP that would meet this criteria and might long not be. besides in high-end similar story with some hard core audiophiles preferring CD transport with separate DAC and PSU to all-in-one solution. call it madness but this what keeps high-end makers happy everyday :)

besides same DX100 costs near 1K $$$ while being not so portable and having miserable battery life. more expensive Terra has no graphical UI and accepts only WAV... so to each his own. i want DAP transport and dac/amp to have more choice between using DAP alone and using with amp at home or in office. :-D

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #3,105 of 9,165
Quote:
Still 690 for a transport to do 24/192 files on the go is silly considering how most portable DAC can only handle 24/96 flac. More importantly the entire point of an audiphile advertised DAP is that it is an all in one unit, meaning there should be no need for an external DAC and AMP, it kind of does not make sense to me on why spend so much money on a gear that you will pair with an amp and a dac for on the go purposes. 

Which is why we have RWA...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back