The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #3,170 of 9,165
Quote:
I thought it already had an optical out, what is the benefit of replacing it with coaxial? 

Some feel coax is better. Optical does isolate. Seems it has been debated for quite some time.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #3,171 of 9,165
Quote:

At some point, I'm sure I'll get to listen to a modded unit, but, as it is, I'm not hearing any brittleness, or truncated depth with the stock AK100. With the headphones I've used it with, I also haven't been dissatisfied with the bass.

Again, I'll listen to the Red Wine Audio modded version at some point.

I have ordered this and will receive it next week. I will be listening to it with my 1964ears V6 ciem. I wish I was versed in the proper terminology to tell you all what I think about it... 

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #3,173 of 9,165
Quote:
Some feel coax is better. Optical does isolate. Seems it has been debated for quite some time.

Also you can make a coax cable whereas Im not 100% sure an optical cable is easy to make

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #3,176 of 9,165
Quote:
I was wondering anyone with the UltrasoneIQ or EX1000 can they comment on how it pairs with the stock AK100?

I use the Ultrasone IQs with the AK100 and think it pairs very well with it.  Only issue is that with the AK100 pairing you can hear more of the differences in the quality of the recordings.  Some music I can now enjoy more with the pairing that used to be muddled with bass or over driven mids.  Guitar crunch in some music especially Aerosmith sounds like I am playing from my amp instead of a processed file.  I am only comparing to the Hippo Biscuit, my PC output, and Galaxy S3 so take it for what its worth.

The ultrasones are 20 ohm so it is pretty close to the 22 ohm out on the AK100 not sure if that matters at all.  I have not had mine modified but am unafraid to do it myself if I decide to.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #3,178 of 9,165
Anyone tried to pair up the AK100 with the AKG Q701?  Would much appreciate a feedback on how it sounds and if it needs an amp to power up the headphones when listening with the AK100.  

Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #3,179 of 9,165
Was reading the 6Moons review and ALO founder replacing his Clas Solo + amp stack with AK100. Having searched this thread there is minimal comment. So anyone here care to offer an opinion on SQ vs Clas Solo + amp?

Portability is not a factor as am scouting for a transportable rig for indoor use only. (Also have one eye on Hi-Fi m8 reviews if and when it is ever released
rolleyes.gif
). Thanks!

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #3,180 of 9,165
Quote:
I guess that is an entire different story for another day. There is a lot of 'pesudoism' in the audio-world but that is part of the fun, isn't?

Coax done right is always better IMO. Less jitter, more bandwidth etc. Isolation is easy to sort if there's space for a small xformer. In this case, with battery power and no risk of a ground loop, the need may be marginal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back