The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 3, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #19,396 of 19,652
Thanks for the share.

What does x5ii have over the x5i? DSD playback?

I heard the x5ii is less warmer than x5i and sounds more neutral than its predecessor.

I've been thinking of getting the x5ii but a lot has been saying that it's a side-grade for me and not upgrade.

Sent from heaven

I haven't really heard the X5 to compare but the X5ii is an awesome sounding DAP. The build quality is first class too.

Nov 3, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #19,397 of 19,652
I haven't really heard the X5 to compare but the X5ii is an awesome sounding DAP. The build quality is first class too.

The build quality is good, efficient, and sturdy. Nothing to complain about. But to say it's first-class is misleading. Anyone who's held in their hands the QP1R, or the AK120ii, knows the true meaning of first-class. :wink:

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #19,398 of 19,652
The build quality is good, efficient, and sturdy. Nothing to complain about. But to say it's first-class is misleading. Anyone who's held in their hands the QP1R, or the AK120ii, knows the true meaning of first-class.
wink.gif

well it better for 4X the price, it should be super high fit and finish
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 3, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #19,399 of 19,652
The build quality is good, efficient, and sturdy. Nothing to complain about. But to say it's first-class is misleading. Anyone who's held in their hands the QP1R, or the AK120ii, knows the true meaning of first-class.
wink.gif

I kindly disagree... X5ii has everything a first class device should have. Even the sound! 

And I've hold devices up to 4K in hand and played with them to know what I'm talking about 
biggrin.gif

Some of the more expensive devices might not fit every user - as it happened to me. I actually found a very very sweet spot on X5ii - but I'm extremely open minded to see if there are any better ones out there! 

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #19,401 of 19,652
Has anyone tried 1more triple driver and pai mr3 on their x5i?

Sent from heaven

I have the X5i and the 1more triple driver. Interestingly, that combo is more neutral and has a less boomy and tighter bass than the 1more triple driver combined with my iPhone 6s.
However, my over ear PSB m4u headphones have less bass with my iPhone than the Fiio X5i.

Opposite results from different headphones. My guess is that resistance and output plays a role.

PS: I like the X5i combo with the 1more triple driver - for the price. That combo < the PSB m4u overear x5i combo. But the 1more's are less than $100.

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #19,402 of 19,652
Has anyone tried 1more triple driver and pai mr3 on their x5i?

Sent from heaven

I have the X5i and the 1more triple driver. Interestingly, that combo is more neutral and has a less boomy and tighter bass than the 1more triple driver combined with my iPhone 6s.
However, my over ear PSB m4u headphones have less bass with my iPhone than the Fiio X5i.

Opposite results from different headphones. My guess is that resistance and output plays a role.

PS: I like the X5i combo with the 1more triple driver - for the price. That combo < the PSB m4u overear x5i combo. But the 1more's are less than $100.

Thanks for thr share.

I'm currently using my x5i with a tfz-s5 and it's just bloody warm.

I reckon the 1more triple driver a a night and day upgrade for me then.

Sent from heaven

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #19,403 of 19,652
Personal opinion - x5ii is MUCH better than X5 in every possible way - but this is for my own tastes and usage patterns. 

Losing a dedicated co-ax output, and then not being able to use a standard cable to a DAC very much a negative. Enough to make me stick with X5i.

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #19,404 of 19,652
Losing a dedicated co-ax output, and then not being able to use a standard cable to a DAC very much a negative. Enough to make me stick with X5i.

That's very true, but the headphone out sounds better 
biggrin.gif

Comparing the two, if I wanted co-aux, X5 was probably better for having a dedicated port, but I used it once since I got it, and used x5ii mostly for it's headphone out, so my usage scenario rendered it better for my needs 
beerchug.gif

I wonder if there is any audible difference between the two when used as a transport or as a DAC (Haven't tested this at all) 

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #19,405 of 19,652

That's very true, but the headphone out sounds better 
biggrin.gif

Comparing the two, if I wanted co-aux, X5 was probably better for having a dedicated port, but I used it once since I got it, and used x5ii mostly for it's headphone out, so my usage scenario rendered it better for my needs 
beerchug.gif

I wonder if there is any audible difference between the two when used as a transport or as a DAC (Haven't tested this at all) 

​I agree (as shown in my review linked below) that the sound from headphones was a step up. Through my Hugo and Mojo, I could not detect any difference. I believe someone could, but with slightest volume changes having a large bearing on perceived changes, it's maybe debatable. Still love my X5 as a transport, would have moved to the X5ii for better screen etc but for the socket.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #19,406 of 19,652
guys,

hope you FiiO service desk / product managers pick this up.  The FiiO does NOT connect with latest version on Mac OS anymore.  Connecting it to the Mac does not open any of the two drives.  Any chance you can look into this?

thanks a lot
c

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #19,408 of 19,652
I have an X5ii question.. Does the X5ii (or any Fiio DAP) have USB OTG digital out like a smartphone?

I hooked a Fiio headphone amp up to my phone using the USB connection and the sound was outstanding.. But of course the phone has very limited storage for large FLAC files..

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #19,409 of 19,652
I have an X5ii question.. Does the X5ii (or any Fiio DAP) have USB OTG digital out like a smartphone?

I hooked a Fiio headphone amp up to my phone using the USB connection and the sound was outstanding.. But of course the phone has very limited storage for large FLAC files..

Most DAPs have digital output of some kind. Either Optical or Coaxial. I can't name any that has USB output... not off the top of my head.

The X5 uses Optical output via the 3.5mm headphone jack. It's weird wild stuff. I once saw a Martian eating a sandwich in there.

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #19,410 of 19,652
Most DAPs have digital output of some kind. Either Optical or Coaxial. I can't name any that has USB output... not off the top of my head.

The X5 uses Optical output via the 3.5mm headphone jack. It's weird wild stuff. I once saw a Martian eating a sandwich in there.

No, completely false. The X5 has a coaxial output with it's own jack. The X5ii has a coaxial out shared with the line-out jack. Neither of them output audio through USB OTG. The only USB output for the x3ii/X5ii/X7 is with FiiO's proprietary 11pin USB docks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back