The Fiio X5 Thread
Oct 29, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #19,382 of 19,652
It's a step up from the X3. I owned the second gen X3 (X3ii), and I found the X5 a true upgrade... in sound at least. A wider soundstage, smoother, more refined rendering, and greater detail.

Now the interface is better on the second gen devices. The X1, X3ii, and X5ii, all operate smoother and more accurately than the X5 Classic.

Oct 29, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #19,384 of 19,652
I realise this is a piece of string question:

But I'll ask anyway; -)

Fiio X5 , how much better than x3/x1 Xduoo X1 are we talking?

I'm loving the Xduoo X3 Rockboxed, but the interface/speed is brutal.

A big step up from the Fiio X1, X3 and the Xduoo X3 in every part of the range. 

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #19,386 of 19,652
What do you guys recommend as the top 3 earphones for the x5 in the 100-200USD bracket?

Sent from heaven

The only IEM I've tested that sounded bad on the X5 is the ATH-IM04. And even that was only on very warm dark tracks.

You must understand, the X5 is a warmer-sounding DAP. So if you pair it with an overly-warm, dark IEM, it will get very warm indeed. And then, if you listen to warm, dark tracks, it can get a bit much. Warm on warm on warm... there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. :wink:

Generally speaking, though, you can't go wrong. The X5 pairs beautifully with just about everything. 99% of the IEMs out there are going to work great. You don't need bright IEMs or utterly neutral. Just make sure what you get doesn't have heavily rolled off treble, and you should be fine.

What sound signature do you like?

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #19,387 of 19,652
I realise this is a piece of string question:

But I'll ask anyway; -)

Fiio X5 , how much better than x3/x1 Xduoo X1 are we talking?

I'm loving the Xduoo X3 Rockboxed, but the interface/speed is brutal.

The X5 definitely sounds better. The X3II has a bit of a rolled off treble. There is less detail, and a bit of a lifeless, dull sound signature in comparison. Might be an ok pairing with very bright headphones like higher end grado's or even philipps 9500's. 

I am starting to think that the X5 has a bit of a slight warm upper midrange bump. 

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #19,389 of 19,652
The only IEM I've tested that sounded bad on the X5 is the ATH-IM04. And even that was only on very warm dark tracks.

You must understand, the X5 is a warmer-sounding DAP. So if you pair it with an overly-warm, dark IEM, it will get very warm indeed. And then, if you listen to warm, dark tracks, it can get a bit much. Warm on warm on warm... there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
wink.gif

Generally speaking, though, you can't go wrong. The X5 pairs beautifully with just about everything. 99% of the IEMs out there are going to work great. You don't need bright IEMs or utterly neutral. Just make sure what you get doesn't have heavily rolled off treble, and you should be fine.

Once again, I completely agree. There is quite a noticeable upper midrange emphasis. Not a spike, but a gradual spread. This type of sound signature is very, very common and apparently quite popular. I suppose a lot of people like it.

I like a bit of a v shape, which is why I like my modded koss headphones so much. Neutral midrange, with a bit of tight, detailed bass thump and a bit of extra treble clarity. 

As a result, my koss headphones + X5 produces a bit of a neutral sound signature, but then I lose the subtle v shaped sound signature I like so much. :)

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #19,391 of 19,652
What do you guys recommend as the top 3 earphones for the x5 in the 100-200USD bracket?

Sent from heaven

You must understand, the X5 is a warmer-sounding DAP. So if you pair it with an overly-warm, dark IEM, it will get very warm indeed. And then, if you listen to warm, dark tracks, it can get a bit much. Warm on warm on warm... there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. :wink:

I agree. X5 is on the warm side. I've tried primacy and ultimate ears tri-fi and it's perfect for the x5. Sadly, both are over the working budget for now.

Has anyone tried 1more triple driver and pai mr3 on their x5i?

Sent from heaven

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #19,393 of 19,652
I recently bought the Fiio X5 series 2 and I am really enjoying the sound quality. The sound quality is up there with my Sony NWZ-X1060. I tested the sound quality with Sony XBA-H1 IEMs connected to Fiio X5 series 2 and the bass is tight and controlled and very good and the mids and highs are lovely. There is also good depth in the soundstage. Volume is very loud.

Nov 3, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #19,394 of 19,652
I recently bought the Fiio X5 series 2 and I am really enjoying the sound quality. The sound quality is up there with my Sony NWZ-X1060. I tested the sound quality with Sony XBA-H1 IEMs connected to Fiio X5 series 2 and the bass is tight and controlled and very good and the mids and highs are lovely. There is also good depth in the soundstage. Volume is very loud.

Thanks for the share.

What does x5ii have over the x5i? DSD playback?

I heard the x5ii is less warmer than x5i and sounds more neutral than its predecessor.

I've been thinking of getting the x5ii but a lot has been saying that it's a side-grade for me and not upgrade.

Sent from heaven

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #19,395 of 19,652
Thanks for the share.

What does x5ii have over the x5i? DSD playback?

I heard the x5ii is less warmer than x5i and sounds more neutral than its predecessor.

I've been thinking of getting the x5ii but a lot has been saying that it's a side-grade for me and not upgrade.

Sent from heaven

It's a clear upgrade - but with a different signature. 

Personal opinion - x5ii is MUCH better than X5 in every possible way - but this is for my own tastes and usage patterns. 

It's brighter - clearer - more power - better resolution - better treble - tighter bass - better UI. 

Can't wait to see what the guys on Fiio are cooking for X5iii 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back