The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 18, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #19,234 of 19,652

That cable looks really nice! 

I'm not sure if it sounds any better, but it looks so nice. 

Description of the cable from Moon Audio web page  https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-mini-coax-digital-cable-hifiman-player.html

"The Black Dragon uses a miniature 75 ohm cable geometry based on RG179 specifications.

It uses a silver-plated copper 7 strand conductor, and a 100% coverage silver-plated copper shield. Both are 99.99% silver over 99.999% oxygen free slow drawn copper.

We can build the cable with either a Neutrik mini plug to Cardas GRLM RCA or with Cardas RCAs on both ends.  It's your choice and we can also upgrade to the Oyaide Mini plug for an additional $5.

The wire is soldered to the connectors with Cardas silver solder and it is then covered in 1 layer of Techflex braid to protect the geometry integrity of the cable. "

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #19,235 of 19,652
Thank you. That's a normal stereo to stereo 3.5 interconnect. Right?

That's what I had thought. But the interconnect I have does not work. Will purchase another one and give it a go.

Coax is mono to mono, however if wired differently, TRS to TRS stereo plugs can be used as well.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 18, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #19,236 of 19,652
I used a regular TRS cable from the X5 to the Mojo and it works fine, no special wiring required. Also, I compared it to my 75 Ohm coaxial spec custom TRRS to TS cable from the X5ii to the Mojo and it sounds the same as a regular TRS with the first gen X5 to Mojo. At least that is the case with the FiiO L16 stereo interconnect I tried.

At these short lengths you aren't really missing anything by not using a coaxial spec cable (at least that I can hear after months of testing and comparing). Believe me, I've tested many combinations with a variety of gear, compared to USB and optical as well (which do have slight differences from coaxial).

X5 using a regular TRS interconnect.

X5ii using a custom coaxial 75 Ohm spec cable.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #19,237 of 19,652
Look at all 'em goodies.

Jun 20, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #19,239 of 19,652
I just bought a fiio x5(1st gen) from a seller on amazon and when i recieved it, it worked perfectly fine and i had no problems with it. Then yesterday when i tried to charge it, it didnt want to charge at all, so i switched usb cables to make sure that it wasnt the cable that was messed up, but still nothing, and i tried plugging the x5 into my computer and my computer keeps saying usb decice malfunctioned whenever i plug it in. My fiio x5 is currently dead because i kept trying everything i can to fix it. I held the power button for 15 seconds and nothing and also pressed that reset button on the top and still nothing. Can anyone help me?

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #19,240 of 19,652
I just bought a fiio x5(1st gen) from a seller on amazon and when i recieved it, it worked perfectly fine and i had no problems with it. Then yesterday when i tried to charge it, it didnt want to charge at all, so i switched usb cables to make sure that it wasnt the cable that was messed up, but still nothing, and i tried plugging the x5 into my computer and my computer keeps saying usb decice malfunctioned whenever i plug it in. My fiio x5 is currently dead because i kept trying everything i can to fix it. I held the power button for 15 seconds and nothing and also pressed that reset button on the top and still nothing. Can anyone help me?

Have you tried going back to the seller?

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #19,242 of 19,652

I recently bought it off of Amazon and had similar issues. First off, use a small paper clip and hit the small reset hole and keep it pressed for at least 15 seconds. Then, use a 2 amp wall charger and charge the unit for at least two hours. Then without any headphones plugged in, power on the unit by pressing the power button at least thirty seconds or until it starts. Good luck!

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #19,243 of 19,652
I recently bought it off of Amazon and had similar issues. First off, use a small paper clip and hit the small reset hole and keep it pressed for at least 15 seconds. Then, use a 2 amp wall charger and charge the unit for at least two hours. Then without any headphones plugged in, power on the unit by pressing the power button at least thirty seconds or until it starts. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip, i'll try that, but i've tried everything i can to get it to work and have had no luck. I emailed fiio and they told me my x5 might be broken, so they want me to send it to them so they can repair it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back