The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 21, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #19,261 of 19,652
FiiO removed the 5800 limit long ago. However, the more songs you add to the media library the slower the device responds, as expected beyond a certain point. From what I recall from other posts the slowdown become noticeable around 20000 tracks.

Alternatively you can browse by folders. My folders are organized alphabetically, A, B, C, D, E, etc., and below that is the Artist folder, then the Album folders with the corresponding tracks. Makes navigation very easy, and the Play Through Folders function keeps the music playing constantly.

Also, IMO, it would be easier to load multiple mSD cards to fit your gigantic library than to carry multiple devices.

I completely second multiple mSD cards. 

Another idea for how to speed up browsing a lot. 

I have a quite large library. But I browse by folders, because I don't tag properly every time. 

What do I do: I name folders by genera, not by letters. My folder structure looks like : Heavy Thrash / Metallica / 1997 - Reload / 01.Metallica - Fuel.flac 

Now, the main advantage is that after I managed and ordered the playlist personally, I do get good coherency than when I tried with one letter. Another trick is that I don't have to use generas as they are. For example, I have a few more rough bands, like Wintersun, The Absence, and Utsu-P, under a single folder named death metal, just because all of them give off a rough and energic vibe that fits all of their moods. 

The point is that folder structure can be managed in many ways, the way by which someone finds what they are looking for is the best!

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #19,262 of 19,652

I completely second multiple mSD cards. 

Another idea for how to speed up browsing a lot. 

I have a quite large library. But I browse by folders, because I don't tag properly every time. 

What do I do: I name folders by genera, not by letters. My folder structure looks like : Heavy Thrash / Metallica / 1997 - Reload / 01.Metallica - Fuel.flac 

Now, the main advantage is that after I managed and ordered the playlist personally, I do get good coherency than when I tried with one letter. Another trick is that I don't have to use generas as they are. For example, I have a few more rough bands, like Wintersun, The Absence, and Utsu-P, under a single folder named death metal, just because all of them give off a rough and energic vibe that fits all of their moods. 

The point is that folder structure can be managed in many ways, the way by which someone finds what they are looking for is the best!

Ha, cool idea. I was planning on organising by genres. I have zillions of playlists built around genres, labels, bands country of origin. So I'm sure I could make something of that.

I'm a big death metal fan, black metal and doom/sludge is the vast majority of my collection in terms of file size, however I also own literally hundreds of grindcore albums, compilations and splits that while short usually have crazy numbers of tracks that have resulted in having so many files. 

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #19,263 of 19,652
  Ha, cool idea. I was planning on organising by genres. I have zillions of playlists built around genres, labels, bands country of origin. So I'm sure I could make something of that.

I'm a big death metal fan, black metal and doom/sludge is the vast majority of my collection in terms of file size, however I also own literally hundreds of grindcore albums, compilations and splits that while short usually have crazy numbers of tracks that have resulted in having so many files. 

Oh yeah, those grind albums with songs that can last as little as 10-30 seconds 
biggrin.gif

While my energy has been slowly giving up on those. I can totally remember the times I used to listen to the rawest of music. Nowadays, it's mostly death, post hardcore, heavy metal, technical, progressive, punk, rock. 

I do pump up some raw energy sometimes, especially when having a better day.

Though, I could say I'm on the other end of things, when searching for music, I end up with very few bands that I actually like. It happens too often that I can't listen to many bands, and end up with a few bands, but with their large discographies per genera.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #19,265 of 19,652
Is Firmware 2.6 the most recent version of the FiiO X5? There's a bug with the equalizer resetting every other song.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #19,266 of 19,652
Do you mean the EQ will stop working after switching songs? 

And it's suggested that you first try to do a factory reset (System settings->Reset factory defaults) then update the firmware to this version 
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Tencent\QQ\Temp\%W@GJ$ACOF(TYDYECOKVDYB.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqz7sdvqyqifqlw/X5-FW2.7.zip?dl=0 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 29, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #19,269 of 19,652
I've noticed that my X5 shows the startup flash screen when I start my car (i.e. when it starts charging via USB) but then immediately shows the charging icon.  Is there any way to set it to stay on upon charge, so that it either will start playing (I have the resume set to "last position") or where I'd just have to hit play to resume (like it is on the X1) instead of having to hold the power button down each time?  Thanks in advance!

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #19,270 of 19,652
  does the x5 through headphone and line-out sound alot better then the x1 or just a litle?

I use both -- portable set is X5 (gen1) &12a stack plus high quality IEMs to bring out the best in the X5/12a stack (and the IEMs) - all up a AUD$1000 combo - sounds awesome... drives full-size headphones too.

My X1 is connected to 'reasonably good' jbl portable speakers at work... for that purpose the X1 is good enough, easy to use etc .... X1 plus IEMs is fine, too ... (train/bus/car) ... for bigger headphones you'll will need some extra power (but still 'good enough' for low ohm hp) -- the X5 has that extra power (or at least more than the X1).

Portable use :  X5 to X1 with same IEMs (both without the 12a) is a noticeable jump in sound quality .... fuller, clearer, wider, cleaner, more refined all up (plus the extra features of the X5) .... ' a little or alot' is hard to qualify and fairly subjective ....  better by maybe 10% ?  15% ? ... no more I'd say -- but can you put up with a 'lower quality' once you experienced a 'better' sound? Even if 'only' 10% ? (I find it hard. 15% is actually a lot for many on this forum ... ). Are you willing to spend $300+ more for that increment? If money is really tight I'm sure people enjoy the sq of the X1 immensely. Additionally - The gain by spending more cash on IEMs is higher than gain of same money spent on the source.

Just to throw in another thought ... I take a second hand Cowon i10 or Colorfly C3 to the beach (each some $50 ebay) plus Vsonic vsd1 ($30) ... cheap $80 combos ... and do enjoy my music a lot (C3 over i10), even without the extra ?15% sound quality I'm used to at home or in other portable situations (minus sand and water...) ... but with the 'reassuring' knowledge and feeling that I will return from the beach to enjoy sound that meets the top of my budget 
wink_face.gif

You'll only find out by trying different DAPs & IEMs yourself -- if close to a shop then it's easy to chose  ... if no option to audition  locally (my situation) then buy second hand, try out, resell and move up the sq ladder and budget limits until you find your sweet spot. That's a lot of fun in itself (addictive actually
darthsmile.gif
)

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #19,271 of 19,652
Hi All, 

Question for you: 

Why is it that certain albums converted from FLAC to OGG Vorbis will play completely seamlessly, and others will have gaps between the tracks? Sometimes just minuscule little pops, or sometimes larger gaps.  

I am converting the FLAC files through foobar.  If I convert them to LAME 320 CBR mp3s, that takes care of the problem...all gaps are gone.  But not with the .ogg files. 

Any ideas? Would love to figure out why this happens - and as I say - it's just certain random albums. 

Thanks all! 

Michael 

Jul 31, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #19,272 of 19,652
I just got my X5 that I ordered with the Adorama sale.  There is a slight buzzing/clicking noise in the left channel when I use my Grado GR10.  I have isolated the problem to the X5 (I have tried other devices).  I'm assuming this is a problem with the X5, but is there any chance it has to do with output impedance of the X5?  I'm using low gain.  I already contacted Adorama, but I wanted to see what you guys think.  I don't really want to get an exchange only to have the same issue.

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #19,273 of 19,652
I just got my X5 that I ordered with the Adorama sale.  There is a slight buzzing/clicking noise in the left channel when I use my Grado GR10.  I have isolated the problem to the X5 (I have tried other devices).  I'm assuming this is a problem with the X5, but is there any chance it has to do with output impedance of the X5?  I'm using low gain.  I already contacted Adorama, but I wanted to see what you guys think.  I don't really want to get an exchange only to have the same issue.

No. Impedance imbalance does not cause buzzing or clicking. It mostly just makes a headphone sound overly dark and muddy.

Blow some compressed air into the headphone port. There might be some debris in there obstructing the jack from making good contact.

If that doesn't work, send it back. Something's wrong with it.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #19,274 of 19,652

so was it defective? i was thinking of getting one, but if yours was bad then i dont want to get a bad one as well.......

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #19,275 of 19,652

bigbenrfan99, could you kindly reset the X5 first ? and then connect it with another headphone.

Btw, please kindly keep a distance away from Router or Your phone when testing.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back