The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 8, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #18,931 of 19,652
Does somebody try X5(first generacion) on coaxial with Chord Mojo?

I've never found a need for any other transport than X5 and DX90 to feed Mojo. And Hugo. And TT when on loan for review. Simple Co-ax connection and top sound for very basic price of DAP. X5ii more fiddly due to its combined Line Out socket with Coax needing more than one cable.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #18,932 of 19,652
My concern is with active stereo speakers use - it seems like I'm wasting a precious portable jewel on home gear, but the sound is still phenomenal for both portable and home use, and I don't think of buying another source system any time soon or use my workstation just to play music.

Using the FiiO extensively might tire the battery out eventually?

Wondering if plugged in the USB charger bypasses battery usage.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #18,933 of 19,652
I've never found a need for any other transport than X5 and DX90 to feed Mojo. And Hugo. And TT when on loan for review. Simple Co-ax connection and top sound for very basic price of DAP. X5ii more fiddly due to its combined Line Out socket with Coax needing more than one cable.
The importance of the transport alone might be overrated, I mean in terms of performance compared to the extremely expensive Daps

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #18,934 of 19,652
My concern is with active stereo speakers use - it seems like I'm wasting a precious portable jewel on home gear, but the sound is still phenomenal for both portable and home use, and I don't think of buying another source system any time soon or use my workstation just to play music.

Using the FiiO extensively might tire the battery out eventually?

Wondering if plugged in the USB charger bypasses battery usage.

No it does not. The X5 always runs on the battery and the USB charges it until it is full. If the voltage then drops below a certain voltage the charger will top up the battery until it's full again. This should be fine for regular use but you should drain the battery and then immediately fully charge it to 're-calibrate' the voltage meter approximately every month or so.

In general, the best practice for a long life of Lithium-ion batteries is not to have the voltage at the top level for extended periods and to not let it drain past 20% or charge beyond 80%. This will extend the life of the battery significantly.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Besides selecting the best-suited voltage thresholds for a given application, a regular Li-ion should not remain at the high-voltage ceiling of 4.20V/cell for an extended time. The Li-ion charger turns off the charge current and the battery voltage reverts to a more natural level. This is like relaxing the muscles after strenuous exercise. (See BU-409: Charging Lithium-ion

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #18,935 of 19,652
No it does not. The X5 always runs on the battery and the USB charges it until it is full. If the voltage then drops below a certain voltage the charger will top up the battery until it's full again. This should be fine for regular use but you should drain the battery and then immediately fully charge it to 're-calibrate' the voltage meter approximately every month or so.

In general, the best practice for a long life of Lithium-ion batteries is not to have the voltage at the top level for extended periods and to not let it drain past 20% or charge beyond 80%. This will extend the life of the battery significantly.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Mine is connected to my laptop most of the time as I use it extensively as a DAC (almost around 8 hours a day at work, it is constantly connected even when I am not listening to music all the time!). So how do you suggest I should go about taking care of the battery in that scenario?

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #18,936 of 19,652
Mine is connected to my laptop most of the time as I use it extensively as a DAC (almost around 8 hours a day at work, it is constantly connected even when I am not listening to music all the time!). So how do you suggest I should go about taking care of the battery in that scenario?

I thought I mentioned it in the first paragraph in my previous post. :rolleyes:

The rest is general info on Lithium batteries. I've had a few devices' lithium battery die (not hold a charge anymore) from being plugged in for months at a time. Just thought I'd share the info. FiiO has said that it should be fine to leave it plugged in but I'm always wary of this. If it were me I'd unplug it when not in use, and I'd run it through a full charge cycle once in a while to 'calibrate' the voltage meter.

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #18,937 of 19,652
I thought I mentioned it in the first paragraph in my previous post.
rolleyes.gif

The rest is general info on Lithium batteries. I've had a few devices' lithium battery die (not hold a charge anymore) from being plugged in for months at a time. Just thought I'd share the info. FiiO has said that it should be fine to leave it plugged in but I'm always wary of this. If it were me I'd unplug it when not in use, and I'd run it through a full charge cycle once in a while to 'calibrate' the voltage meter.

i just tried to see if the X5 would run without battery, on just USB power. it would work if not for the software immediately shutting down the device.

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #18,938 of 19,652
Perhaps there are different 'qualities' as far as batteries go? I fly helis which are heavy on power and poor quality batteries just don't work for long before they totally collapse.

Yet I've also had good quality batteries that seem to wake up even if left flat for quite a period of time.

Hopefully, the one inside the Fiio is a good 'un and it's not using anything like the amount that a heli takes to keep in the air.

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #18,939 of 19,652
Perhaps there are different 'qualities' as far as batteries go? I fly helis which are heavy on power and poor quality batteries just don't work for long before they totally collapse.

Yet I've also had good quality batteries that seem to wake up even if left flat for quite a period of time.

Hopefully, the one inside the Fiio is a good 'un and it's not using anything like the amount that a heli takes to keep in the air.

The batteries in the FiiO players will not require anywhere near the current rate of RC helicopter batteries. They require a very high C rate. I just posted some general info on consumer Lithium-ion batteries, I'm not saying the one in the X5 is bad.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #18,940 of 19,652
I hope not. Heli batteries only keep them up for 6 or so minutes on the whole!! Current drain is huge.

They are generally quite robust though considering how badly they are treated in helis, which is nothing like a DAP.

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #18,942 of 19,652
  Fiio needs to give us a better file/song search feature as a final option before closing the books on Fiio X5 1st generation. That's the only thing missing from X5 1st generation, I can't search easily. 
confused_face_2.gif

how is your folder structure?

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #18,944 of 19,652
I just copy files by album (folder) if they have one or just misc folder.

But frankly that shouldn't matter if you are searching for song by filename or song title.

the chances of them changing any functionality on this player anymore is exactly 0, so i can only tell you of ways to make it easier for you:

depending on number of artists:
lots: sd_root/letter/artist/album
not that much: sd_root/artist/album

Users who are viewing this thread

Back