The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 2, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #18,901 of 19,652
  I would love replay gain on the original X5 too, but please don't disable OTG at the same time !!!

Also can you just give us the ability to scan OTG into the library like the X7 does???

X7 has a very different hardware overall. It comes with 2gb or RAM, powerful CPU, all on top of Android kernel + OS. This is why it can use OTG and other feature without much problems. X5 series have proprietary OS, with power friendly CPU with less RAM. 

I guess that them ending the official support for it could still offer a hope, as someone over X5II thread did edit sys.bin file of X5II, so there might be a chance of someone with enough skill to edit it for X5 and add these features

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #18,903 of 19,652
Cracked sys.bin could open this up for RockBox
blink.gif

I highly doubt it was cracked to that degree 
biggrin.gif
. But there were some changes done to sys files, and it is a hope still. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771221/fiio-x5-ii-custom-themes-thread/180#post_12300796

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #18,905 of 19,652
I don't think there would be an issue with hardware, but if you're wearing a tracksuit or shorts with it in your pocket, they could end up around your ankles.

It would need to be strapped to you in some way because it's quite substantial.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #18,907 of 19,652
  what does replaygain do?

If you have replay gain information in your tags, it basically states the average and peak loudness levels present in the track or album.  If you then use your digital files in a player with replay gain enabled, it reads those files, and automatically adjusts the volume so that everything is played at roughly the same volume.  This is especially useful if you tend to shuffle your library.  Different tracks/albums then are all at a comfortable listening volume.

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #18,909 of 19,652
The theory is that adjusting the volume digitally before conversion to analogue (which I understand is what is happening) can change the bit length.  So if you are doubling or halving the volume, you may lose 1 bit in resolution.  That would cause a 16 bit file to play a maximum 15 bit.

Like I said - I think that is the theory behind it, and I don't know how they've got the X5 to process it.  If its using the full resolution headroom of the player, I don't think you'd have any degradation at all.

Virtually all my files on the X5 are 16 bit / 44.1 (redbook - CD quality).  I've already tested one album with and without replay gain. If there is any truncation going on - I don't hear it.

So I guess its a question of where your priorities lie.  If you tend to use playlists (different albums), or shuffle, then the convenience of replay gain is brilliant.  I'd then suggest trying it with a couple of albums, and see if you can tell the difference in SQ.  Its not audible to me.

I'm going to move my entire library to include replay gain tags at some stage when I get time.  Best idea though - listen for yourself, and then decide if it is worth it.  To me it is.  I use shuffle a lot when I'm not reviewing.

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #18,910 of 19,652
This thread might be worth reading regarding replay gain - I've bookmarked it for later:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,76040.0.html

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #18,911 of 19,652
Brooko,
Thanks.

I figured that is what is going on.
Most of my music is 16/44.1.  I sync Playlist from Mac iTunes with Dapper and mostly listen to via playlist.
iTunes & iPods call this function Sound Check, I always avoided using it.  I wonder if the iTunes/Dapper sync includes the tags required.  Sound Check has been around for some time, so if it works the same way, the tags may be in place, I will have to test and research.
Not sure I will like it anyway, not so much on iPods, but that is just me.

r2

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #18,913 of 19,652
I just converted all my files on the X1 for starters.  Been listening for the last hour on random play with the HD 630VB.  Replay gain rocks.  Off to convert the X3ii and X5ii shortly.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #18,914 of 19,652

Does Fiio's implementation of RG give you the option to just turn it off ? On other players I have turned it on when shuffling, but when playing albums straight through I turned it off - I don't mind adjusting volume every 45 minutes!

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #18,915 of 19,652
Yep - it has a setting to choose off, track or album.  Really well implemented IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back