The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 26, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #11,342 of 19,652
Hi James, appreciate your feedback. However, I tried the beta software 2.07, now I have encountered one more problem. See screenshot. Tracks will play for less than 10secs (album arts and correct tags), it will make a popping then stop playing. Used SE535 and V-moda M100, same results.

That looks to be more of a hardware issue than a firmware issue. Is the headphone jack dirty? Lint or hair creating an intermittent connection?

You shouldn't have popping at all. The X5 automatically stops playback when the headphones are disconnected so I'm thinking the jack is buggered up.

To help eliminate the files as the problem, have you tried different file formats and tracks?

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #11,343 of 19,652

Installed windows on my pc yesterday, installed DVDAE today, and it's telling me the 30 day trial has ended. Lovely XD

Do a Google search for DVDAExplorer.

It's quite basic as it is designed specifically for ripping the hi-res audio (MLP?) from DVD-A discs.

It's also free!

He says he installed DVDAE, which is DVD-Audio Extractor, is DVD-Audio Explorer a different program?

I am not sure why the trial would expire immediately after installing. Is it possible that you installed the program once before?

If you just installed Windows what OS were you using before,Linux?

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #11,344 of 19,652
  He says he installed DVDAE, which is DVD-Audio Extractor, is DVD-Audio Explorer a different program?

I am not sure why the trial would expire immediately after installing. Is it possible that you installed the program once before?

If you just installed Windows what OS were you using before,Linux?

Yes, it's a different piece of software. It won't rip standard audio from dvds though, but it is freeware.

Swings and roundabouts.

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #11,345 of 19,652
I bought the same flash drive and ended up returning it, un-opened, because I couldn't get either of my other two Lexar flash drives, and a couple of other non Lexar ones, to work with the X5 and i was afraid of opening it and it not working and then not being able top return it to the store. I ended up purchasing a small capacity Sandisk for really cheap, as it was reported to work with the X5, to try out and it worked fine so I then purchased a 128GB Sandisk and it works well, but it cost quite a bit more than the Lexar one. Oh well.

I'd be interested in hearing about specific makes and models of 256GB USB drives that members have had success with for the X5.

Odd, I don't have any problems with my two Lexar micro SDXC I cards, 64 GB each.

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #11,347 of 19,652
Jul 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #11,349 of 19,652
Hi
New to the forum so if I am posting in the wrong place I am sorry. I am a Mac user that has just purchased a Fiio X5 and E12 and Beyerdynamic T51p. I have had the player and amp for about 1 week so I'm still learning, so bear with me. I have firmware version beta 2.07 on the X5 and have been enjoying my new set-up. I have encountered my first problem and need some help. I have downloaded a few albums using qobuz.com as ALAC files. I choose this format as I am using itunes on my mac and FLAC are not recognised. I was copying the downloaded files from the qobuz folder directly to TF1 on the X5. I noticed that the volume of the downloaded files was not consistent and I would have to alter the volume as the tracks played... very annoying. After googling this problem I discovered the sound check facility in itunes so I switched it on and then replaced my music on the TF1 card with qobuz downloaded files within the itunes directory (these were now showing with db adjustments to the volume in the "get info" section). On playing these files on the X5 I still experienced the same differing volumes. Any ideas?

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #11,350 of 19,652
Hi
New to the forum so if I am posting in the wrong place I am sorry. I am a Mac user that has just purchased a Fiio X5 and E12 and Beyerdynamic T51p. I have had the player and amp for about 1 week so I'm still learning, so bear with me. I have firmware version beta 2.07 on the X5 and have been enjoying my new set-up. I have encountered my first problem and need some help. I have downloaded a few albums using qobuz.com as ALAC files. I choose this format as I am using itunes on my mac and FLAC are not recognised. I was copying the downloaded files from the qobuz folder directly to TF1 on the X5. I noticed that the volume of the downloaded files was not consistent and I would have to alter the volume as the tracks played... very annoying. After googling this problem I discovered the sound check facility in itunes so I switched it on and then replaced my music on the TF1 card with qobuz downloaded files within the itunes directory (these were now showing with db adjustments to the volume in the "get info" section). On playing these files on the X5 I still experienced the same differing volumes. Any ideas?

The X5 does not have an automatic volume adjustment, or "replay gain". This is something that has been requested many times but I'm not sure Fiio will implement it.

On the other hand this isn't uncommon to have different tracks mastered at different levels so there is nothing wrong with your X5.

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #11,351 of 19,652
Hi
Thanks for the reply. Is there something I can do to the files prior to uploading to the X5. Presume I will need to adjust the volume of the actual file if the X5 can't handle any adjustment info in the file tags. Seems a bit poor for such a high level player.

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #11,352 of 19,652
Hi
Thanks for the reply. Is there something I can do to the files prior to uploading to the X5. Presume I will need to adjust the volume of the actual file if the X5 can't handle any adjustment info in the file tags. Seems a bit poor for such a high level player.

Since I typically listen to an album at a time I really haven't looked in to what volume levelling software to use, or if it even exists. I'd be interested to know if others have a solution though.

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #11,353 of 19,652
I tend to do the same, usually listen to whole albums or all songs from a particular artist. Think this problem is noticeable when albums are new compilations of various tracks from an artist that match the original contents of an album. I have a "Deluxe" version of Amy Winehouse Back to Black downloaded from Qobuz which consists of different versions of songs than on the original album. Makes great listening but I don't think the volume of the whole album has been normalised as the original hence this problem.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #11,354 of 19,652
Fiio recommend FAT32 and NOT format the SDXC Micro card´s with 64 kb allocation size unit - it should be 32 kb or less. I now it´s possible to format the card directly in the X5, but I´ve used an third party software; 2Tware for it, and choosed 16 kb. Anyone have any suggestion about it?

And what are the playlist M3U -files in many of the album folders for? I use to delete them, and only save the FLAC´s, as the album cover should be tagged inside the songs. Should I leave the M3U?

When filling my Sandisk Ultra UHS-1 64 Gb with music, I´ll get a transfer speed of about 7,3 Mb/s with a USB2 SD card reader. Is there any possibilities it will get higher if using an USB3 reader instead?

/ Mikael Markstrom

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #11,355 of 19,652
That looks to be more of a hardware issue than a firmware issue. Is the headphone jack dirty? Lint or hair creating an intermittent connection?

You shouldn't have popping at all. The X5 automatically stops playback when the headphones are disconnected so I'm thinking the jack is buggered up.

To help eliminate the files as the problem, have you tried different file formats and tracks?

Tried playing several MP3s using my 4 headphones (HD25-1 ii; SE535; V-Moda M100 and Superlux HD668B); same result. Also notice that there is a clicking sound on the player itself while the music haven't stopped. Will be returning it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back