The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #11,312 of 19,652
@Loquah

I finally found a few moments to compare the line out. Compared to my XDA-2 A/B with the Crack/HD800... Apples and oranges. That's the best way to be nice about it. Not even a close comparison IMHO. Some people would likely have to listen for a few moments before picking up the differences, but to me it was pretty stark.  You mentioned earlier that you can get there 95% of the way with portable audio. I'm not convinced. My audio playground is the last %1. So again, I'm not surprised.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the primary reason is the RCA cables between the X5 and the crack are junk, as they are a mini stereo to RCA that I received free with another piece of kit, but the only thing I have to try with. I think I'll have to make a pair and test again. Otherwise, even A/B'd across 5 minutes of listening time on a cold crack - the test results were enough for me to put the X5 up for sale.

Still better than an iPod by a huge margin. :wink:

Personally, I prefer my Beresford Bushmaster Mk II DAC over the X5 Line Out.
YMMV!

What dac is the new Beresford Bushmaster Mk II using. My old caiman is using an older lower end wolfson but sounds really good.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #11,313 of 19,652
I use a program called DVD-Audio Extractor. Works extremely well for all types of DVD's including Blu-Ray( if your PC has a Blu-Ray drive) and DVD-Audio discs from which it will extract the high resolution information. It's available for a free trial and is not very expensive if you decide to purchase and all updates are free.

Installed windows on my pc yesterday, installed DVDAE today, and it's telling me the 30 day trial has ended. Lovely XD

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #11,315 of 19,652
Problems with File Transfers

I bought two Sandisk 64gb cards, I am using a micro USB lead to transfer songs from my MacbookPro

I have never managed to transfer songs over without some of the track folders being empty.

1. I plug in and both cards are visible.
2. I drag and drop Flac and Mp3's in folders to the cards.
3. I eject properly
4. The Fiio X5 scans the cards.
5. Some folders are empty.
6. I plug back into the Mac and half the folders are empty

Its driving me mad. Can someone help who has a similar problem? 

*** I have tried taking the cards out of the FiiO, putting them into my MacBooks SD slot, then transferring the music, scanning and still it misses out the folders.

Whats going wrong?

Did you purchase these from an authorized reseller?

There are tons of fakes floating around on Amazon used classifieds and eBay.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #11,316 of 19,652
  Just wondering, do you consider the X5 to be your endgame DAP (or even DAC)?

At the moment no. I do like the sound of it, but I have a different one on order that on paper should be a lot better (mind you, it also costs 3 times as much). Once I have a chance to compare them I will make a final decision on what to do with them.

May even keep both, 1 for the truck (I like the LO sound when it is connected to the truck), 1 for at home & travel.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #11,317 of 19,652

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-Leather-case-X5-Black/dp/B00KFT96OC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1V6PKDQAEDQABRR8Z4EX
I am interested in this one: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-X5-Leather-Case-Dignis/dp/B00K2FZ1WK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1V6PKDQAEDQABRR8Z4EX

Pictures can be seen via links from amazon, I want to know how is Dignis case compared to FiiO one, looks sleek from pictures.

I own the Dignis one on black and it is very good. The leather is high quality and feels great to touch. It is equal to or better than the one that comes with the AK100/AK120 if you are familiar with them. Fits like a glove.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #11,318 of 19,652
Just wondering, do you consider the X5 to be your endgame DAP (or even DAC)?
I was contemplating saying yes, in fact - for the price, I will say yes, as a source for an off-board DAC (coax out)

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #11,319 of 19,652

I own the Dignis one on black and it is very good. The leather is high quality and feels great to touch. It is equal to or better than the one that comes with the AK100/AK120 if you are familiar with them. Fits like a glove.

Many thanks mate!
It's everything I wanted to hear
wink.gif

Much appreciated.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #11,322 of 19,652
I'm mainly interested in it for an easy way to strap the E12 on, looking at pictures it looks like it might get in the way of the bass switch and hte crossfeed.  I already have an interconnect I like, although I can't say whether or not it's actually good.  For $17, I imagine I should just order it and give it a try unless someone can suggest a better option for mounting.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #11,323 of 19,652
I'm mainly interested in it for an easy way to strap the E12 on, looking at pictures it looks like it might get in the way of the bass switch and hte crossfeed.  I already have an interconnect I like, although I can't say whether or not it's actually good.  For $17, I imagine I should just order it and give it a try unless someone can suggest a better option for mounting.

Or you use 3M DUAL LOCK VELCRO LOCK ON ...

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #11,324 of 19,652
It's pretty good, though like he said it does block the bass switch a little bit, though not really enough to not be able to use it. I don't really notice a difference over the stock interconnect, though some people have said it's an upgrade, though I would definately say a small upgrade if I can't even tell the difference. Overall it was pretty cheap and looks pretty slick so I would still recommend it despite a few shortcomings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back