The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #11,281 of 19,652
Did any X5 owner try the Dignis leather case for X5?
It's this one: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-X5-Leather-Case-Dignis/dp/B00K2FZ26K
http://blog.naver.com/dignis/80211345956

I have the flip leather cover from FiiO, while it's Ok, I dislike flip type cases and like sock type cases a lot more, if someone have the Dignis case, can you comment a bit on the quality and if it's worth it or not.
Thanks in advance!

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #11,282 of 19,652

I have the flip leather cover from FiiO, while it's Ok, I dislike flip type cases and like sock type cases a lot more, if someone have the Dignis case, can you comment a bit on the quality and if it's worth it or not.
Thanks in advance!

Is that the one for can$54.00?
I ordered that one and found it rather cumbersome for my pocket.  The X buttons were somewhat harder to get at and I like the tongue covers from the thin fitted cover that comes with the X5.  The LO and CoAx jacks are exposed to whatever dust might leak in.
On the other side, it has space to carry around extra TF cards.  Hope that's the one you were looking at.
Kevin

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #11,283 of 19,652

Thanks in advance!

I just reread your post.  Can't see pictures.  Is that the one made in south Korea you're asking about?  I can't get it shipped to my address so ignore the above post.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #11,284 of 19,652
I have a slight dilemma here. I have the X5 which I am very happy with in all regards. I also have a UniqueMelody-modified TF10 which I am also happy with. UM really did a great job of changing what was to me, a mediocre universal iem into something that has impressed me for a couple of years now, before with the J3, now with the X5. Btw, I have not had a bad experience with UM, not with shipping or with build quality. I dealt with Stephen Guo, maybe that's why b/c he was impressively responsive to me. If you are considering purchasing a UM product, you might deal with him, he's the US rep.
This pairing amazes me all the time, just with flac recordings too! I have only one high rez recording which I'm not impressed with and don't hear anything special. I'm open though.

Anyway, the problem began when I read comments on these pages from a number of head-fiers who said that they actually preferred the JH13 to their HD800s and that they are the first CIEMs to actually equal full-sized cans. That they are fully worth the price!
That really amazed me and actually influenced me enough to make a strong intention to buy the JH13s, even though my income is of the limited kind, truly. I could save enough in two months to buy them though, if I scrimp a bit.
The thing is, something inside of me is making it hard for me to believe that improvements like that were really possible... given what I already have, not that that couldn't be true.
Actually, I would really like to get the JH13s but maybe I just need re-assurance. Is an improvement really possible??? Anybody care to comment?

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #11,285 of 19,652
  I have a slight dilemma here. I have the X5 which I am very happy with in all regards. I also have a UniqueMelody-modified TF10 which I am also happy with. UM really did a great job of changing what was to me, a mediocre universal iem into something that has impressed me for a couple of years now, before with the J3, now with the X5. Btw, I have not had a bad experience with UM, not with shipping or with build quality. I dealt with Stephen Guo, maybe that's why b/c he was impressively responsive to me. If you are considering purchasing a UM product, you might deal with him, he's the US rep.
This pairing amazes me all the time, just with flac recordings too! I have only one high rez recording which I'm not impressed with and don't hear anything special. I'm open though.

Anyway, the problem began when I read comments on these pages from a number of head-fiers who said that they actually preferred the JH13 to their HD800s and that they are the first CIEMs to actually equal full-sized cans. That they are fully worth the price!
That really amazed me and actually influenced me enough to make a strong intention to buy the JH13s, even though my income is of the limited kind, truly. I could save enough in two months to buy them though, if I scrimp a bit.
The thing is, something inside of me is making it hard for me to believe that improvements like that were really possible... given what I already have, not that that couldn't be true.
Actually, I would really like to get the JH13s but maybe I just need re-assurance. Is an improvement really possible??? Anybody care to comment?

I may be in the minority when I say this, but ciems are superior to cans of any kind.  Sure cans may give bigger soundstage (possibly, but lesser full sized cans have less) but after a year with my 16's, any cans I put on sound like I'm listening to music from inside a cave.  You don't realize how used you are to those reflections and resonation until you've gone to something better, then come back.  And then it eats at you, you can't go back to full sized cans anymore.  Even open back cans sound closed in compared to my jh16's, I can only imagine how much better the jh13's can be.  It's strange that although the jh16's and 13's are also sealed off, they have NO HINT of that cave sound.

For example, I recently got the HE400.  When it first came out, people were praising it for its airyness and soundstage.  While I like the resolution and detail, it sounds like its coming from a cave and so I only use it as a gaming headphone.  My beats and turtlebeach are just unbearable in comparison, I used to like these too.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #11,286 of 19,652
I have had my X5 for 3 months now & really love the sound of it now that I have found the right IEMs to listen with (after 4 tries).

Given that, I have already ordered another DAP, & am replacing my SACD ripped flacs with SACD ripped DSD files, & will probably get some new headphones along the way as well.

The fun never ends.

Please tell me DSD is in no way better than FLAC. I don't want to rip my 300 CD's again.

I guess i could transfer my tags, right?

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #11,287 of 19,652
@Loquah

I finally found a few moments to compare the line out. Compared to my XDA-2 A/B with the Crack/HD800... Apples and oranges. That's the best way to be nice about it. Not even a close comparison IMHO. Some people would likely have to listen for a few moments before picking up the differences, but to me it was pretty stark.  You mentioned earlier that you can get there 95% of the way with portable audio. I'm not convinced. My audio playground is the last %1. So again, I'm not surprised.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the primary reason is the RCA cables between the X5 and the crack are junk, as they are a mini stereo to RCA that I received free with another piece of kit, but the only thing I have to try with. I think I'll have to make a pair and test again. Otherwise, even A/B'd across 5 minutes of listening time on a cold crack - the test results were enough for me to put the X5 up for sale.

Still better than an iPod by a huge margin. :wink:

Personally, I prefer my Beresford Bushmaster Mk II DAC over the X5 Line Out.
YMMV!

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #11,288 of 19,652
Please tell me DSD is in no way better than FLAC. I don't want to rip my 300 CD's again.

The secret is in the mastering - not the container or format.  If your FLAC files are from well mastered albums, I wouldn't be worrying.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #11,289 of 19,652
The secret is in the mastering - not the container or format.  If your FLAC files are from well mastered albums, I wouldn't be worrying.

I'm not even sure if my ripping is of proper quality, let alone the masters.

Now that we're discussing this; what's a good program for ripping audio DVDs? EAC doesn't work with those...

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #11,290 of 19,652

Now that we're discussing this; what's a good program for ripping audio DVDs? EAC doesn't work with those...

Good question - I only ever ripped one DVD (can't even remember the program I used).  For CDs - I always use EAC.  I'd be interested to know what others use for DVD audio as well ....... 

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #11,291 of 19,652
Good question - I only ever ripped one DVD (can't even remember the program I used).  For CDs - I always use EAC.  I'd be interested to know what others use for DVD audio as well ....... 

I had a program, but this morning i cleaned 6.5TB of HDD space, and reinstalled windows, but forgot to take the name of the tool.

Feels good having an almost clean PC.

All that's left is my music, and 6 seasons of Star Trek TNG.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #11,292 of 19,652

I use a program called DVD-Audio Extractor. Works extremely well for all types of DVD's including Blu-Ray( if your PC has a Blu-Ray drive) and DVD-Audio discs from which it will extract the high resolution information. It's available for a free trial and is not very expensive if you decide to purchase and all updates are free.

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #11,293 of 19,652

To my understanding, ripping from CD to DSD won't really gain you much over FLAC, if anything.

I have SACD ISOs that I am extracting the native 2.8Mhz DSD stream from. That is where you get the quality gains.

As Good Sound mentioned, DVD-Audio Extractor is a good app. I have used it to rip 24/48 audio from concert DVDs. Don't have any DVD-A discs to try it with.

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #11,294 of 19,652

I use a program called DVD-Audio Extractor. Works extremely well for all types of DVD's including Blu-Ray( if your PC has a Blu-Ray drive) and DVD-Audio discs from which it will extract the high resolution information. It's available for a free trial and is not very expensive if you decide to purchase and all updates are free.

I second the recommendation for this piece of software.  In fact I've used it to rip some pure audio Blu Rays recently to put on the X5 (Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend 30th Anniversary and CSNY - 1974).  If you're going to buy any audio blu rays in the future, I'd say this software almost becomes mandatory if you want to put it on the Fiio.  I'm still "old school" enough that I want a physical backup of my high resolution files as opposed to just buying the FLACs online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back