The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #11,266 of 19,652
I'm kind of glad you're all discussing this.  UPS says I'm getting my X5 Monday, Amazon says the 12th...  I'm really hoping UPS is accurate.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #11,268 of 19,652
  Fiio X5 vs DX100... what do you guys think?  
or Fiio X5 vs HM 901? 

I have both HM 901 and DX100. I wonder how X5 sounds compared to the other two units. 

Mimouille did say the X5 gives about 80 to 85% of the 901s sound quality. They share a similar sound sig from what I was told. I don't consider the X5 to be better than the DX100 but it does hit pretty high and has a much better UI and smaller build.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #11,269 of 19,652

Mimouille did say the X5 gives about 80 to 85% of the 901s sound quality. They share a similar sound sig from what I was told. I don't consider the X5 to be better than the DX100 but it does hit pretty high and has a much better UI and smaller build.

Thanks. That sums up pretty much everything.  I think HM901's sound is a lot inferior to DX100's. If X5 isn't better than HM901, I wouldn't buy X5.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #11,271 of 19,652

Thanks. That sums up pretty much everything.  I think HM901's sound is a lot inferior to DX100's. If X5 isn't better than HM901, I wouldn't buy X5.

Can you honestly expect something that is $350 to beat something that is a $1000+? The fact that it hits that high is very impressive. It's like guys on the FX850 thread expecting the 850 to compare to the 1Plus2 when in reality it doesn't at all.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #11,272 of 19,652
Can you honestly expect something that is $350 to beat something that is a $1000+? The fact that it hits that high is very impressive. It's like guys on the FX850 thread expecting the 850 to compare to the 1Plus2 when in reality it doesn't at all.

After a certain point, preferences really do factor in heavily. Given diminishing returns, on a case by case basis, considering features and preferred signatures, it is possible for a 350 dap to beat one that costs 1k.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #11,273 of 19,652
I have been listening hours a day to my X5 over the last few weeks and it really grows on me. My music never sounded as good and I started to replace my mp3 rips with flac rips (my own CDs). Decent pair of headphones provided it helps to find details you did not hear before. So far, I am more than happy with my X5 :)
(mind the few FW bugs or "not-yet-perfect" stuff but I am counting on FiiO to work it out in due time.)

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #11,275 of 19,652
Im getting errors when I put music on the sd card.

Some files work perfectly but others give me an "file not supported" message when I play them. Is there a rule that I have to follow or be mindful of when I move flies over to the sd card or is there something wrong with the files?

2.07 btw

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #11,276 of 19,652
I have been listening hours a day to my X5 over the last few weeks and it really grows on me. My music never sounded as good and I started to replace my mp3 rips with flac rips (my own CDs). Decent pair of headphones provided it helps to find details you did not hear before. So far, I am more than happy with my X5 :)
(mind the few FW bugs or "not-yet-perfect" stuff but I am counting on FiiO to work it out in due time.)

Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!! :evil: welcome to this viscous cycle.....

1. Buy a new DAP.
2. Start re-ripping all your music to a lossless format.
3. Upgrade headphones (this step can be repeated multiple times).
4. Acquire/upgrade amp (same as step 3...can be repeated).
5. "Maybe I can squeeze a slightly better sound out of my rig by upgrading cables?"
6. New DAP released... "Honey, how would you like to use my DAP? It sounds better than your iPod." :evil:
-------> repeat steps above in no particular order.

Oh my poor wallet......

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #11,277 of 19,652

I hadn't thought to try the line out.  I'll put that on my todo and listen to what the Crack/HD800 combo reveal.  I'm expecting the line out -> external amp will do better and the Westone W40s and/or HPO are limiting the resolution I'm kinda stuck expecting.  Portable audio is a bit frustrating. I don't see myself getting anything close to my desktop rig, and I guess rightly so.

@Loquah

I finally found a few moments to compare the line out. Compared to my XDA-2 A/B with the Crack/HD800... Apples and oranges. That's the best way to be nice about it. Not even a close comparison IMHO. Some people would likely have to listen for a few moments before picking up the differences, but to me it was pretty stark.  You mentioned earlier that you can get there 95% of the way with portable audio. I'm not convinced. My audio playground is the last %1. So again, I'm not surprised.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the primary reason is the RCA cables between the X5 and the crack are junk, as they are a mini stereo to RCA that I received free with another piece of kit, but the only thing I have to try with. I think I'll have to make a pair and test again. Otherwise, even A/B'd across 5 minutes of listening time on a cold crack - the test results were enough for me to put the X5 up for sale.

Still better than an iPod by a huge margin. :wink:

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #11,278 of 19,652
Im getting errors when I put music on the sd card.

Some files work perfectly but others give me an "file not supported" message when I play them. Is there a rule that I have to follow or be mindful of when I move flies over to the sd card or is there something wrong with the files?

2.07 btw

I had the same problem and it appeared my card was bad. You can check with this app H2testw (credits go to burtomr!). I bought a new card and the messages were gone. Good luck!

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #11,279 of 19,652
  Fiio X5 vs DX100... what do you guys think?  
or Fiio X5 vs HM 901? 

I have both HM 901 and DX100. I wonder how X5 sounds compared to the other two units. 

I think the X5 sounds better than the 901, but that's only sound signature preference. They're roughly technically equal.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #11,280 of 19,652
I have been listening hours a day to my X5 over the last few weeks and it really grows on me. My music never sounded as good and I started to replace my mp3 rips with flac rips (my own CDs). Decent pair of headphones provided it helps to find details you did not hear before. So far, I am more than happy with my X5 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!!
evil_smiley.gif
welcome to this viscous cycle.....

1. Buy a new DAP.
2. Start re-ripping all your music to a lossless format.
3. Upgrade headphones (this step can be repeated multiple times).
4. Acquire/upgrade amp (same as step 3...can be repeated).
5. "Maybe I can squeeze a slightly better sound out of my rig by upgrading cables?"
6. New DAP released... "Honey, how would you like to use my DAP? It sounds better than your iPod."
evil_smiley.gif

> repeat steps above in no particular order.

Oh my poor wallet......

I have had my X5 for 3 months now & really love the sound of it now that I have found the right IEMs to listen with (after 4 tries).

Given that, I have already ordered another DAP, & am replacing my SACD ripped flacs with SACD ripped DSD files, & will probably get some new headphones along the way as well.

The fun never ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back