The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 25, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #11,326 of 19,652
I bought the HS6 but only use the interconnect. I found the mounting bracket to be too bulky so I just use one band from the e12 positioned just under the screen and above the X buttons. Works just fine for me.

I hear an increase in clarity with the interconnect cable, and it is subtle, but definitely noticeable. I think it's worth it for that alone.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #11,328 of 19,652
How annoying is it to remove the dual lock velcro if you decide you don't want it on?

Not that hard ....but if use as stand alone ..that patch of dual lock velcro will be there ...but the pros is if using with smartphone ..the screen is not cover by silicone band ....depend on what the amp is use with most ...

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #11,330 of 19,652
  Just wondering, do you consider the X5 to be your endgame DAP (or even DAC)?

You might as well ask "will this be your last toy purchase"? I certainly hope not.
Do I feel an overpowering desire to try something else? Absolutely not.
Might I consider an AK 240 for any reason? Not. Not twice. Not three times.

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #11,331 of 19,652
You might as well ask "will this be your last toy purchase"? I certainly hope not.
Do I feel an overpowering desire to try something else? Absolutely not.
...and this kills my earlier thoughts...

haha, of course you are correct, and I was erroneous in my past post - afterall, if nothing else, the X7 is in development (keeping this as a FiiO post in a FiiO thread)...

:)

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #11,332 of 19,652
...and this kills my earlier thoughts...

haha, of course you are correct, and I was erroneous in my past post - afterall, if nothing else, the X7 is in development (keeping this as a FiiO post in a FiiO thread)...

:)

Well, you did say(wisely) "at this price" and for now I have to agree. I can't think of any other DAP in this price range that sounds this good. If Fiio releases an X5 II at the same price with improved sound quality and UI, I'll be all over it.

I'm also waiting to see what the X7 is like. I imagine it'll be very nice at the $699 mark.

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #11,333 of 19,652
Just wondering, do you consider the X5 to be your endgame DAP (or even DAC)?

For now, yes.

The thing is though, same as with headphones. What i thought was the absolute best half a year ago is now no longer the absolute best, and i upgrade my gear over and over.

There is no endgame setup. It's just an illusion :wink:

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #11,334 of 19,652
How does the X5 pair with JH13fp's? Where should one purchase the x5, at any of the retailers listed on the Fiio website? I assume that all listed there are authorized retailers and that the Fiio warranty will be honored? Sorry this will be my first Fiio and I ordered it from Beach Camera. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #11,335 of 19,652
What dac is the new Beresford Bushmaster Mk II using. My old caiman is using an older lower end wolfson but sounds really good.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere.
I think it uses a Wolfson DAC chip.
Looks like Beresford just released the NEW! IMPROVED! Caiman Mk II a few weeks ago.
Apparently it is superior to the Bushmaster Mk II, but only has 96/24 USB input.
Not too sure if that USB limitation is a big deal for me, though.
I don't see the point of 192 kHz files.

The new Caiman should be pretty damn good if it's better than the Bushmaster Mk II!

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #11,336 of 19,652
I bought the HS6 but only use the interconnect. I found the mounting bracket to be too bulky so I just use one band from the e12 positioned just under the screen and above the X buttons. Works just fine for me.

I hear an increase in clarity with the interconnect cable, and it is subtle, but definitely noticeable. I think it's worth it for that alone.

I like the HS6, but I never use the bass boost or cross feed switches and very rarely use 16 dB of gain.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #11,337 of 19,652
There are plenty of reports earlier in the thread of 128GB USB sticks working well. You'll need to search for the brand names...

Thanks.
This is what I bought:

Lexar S23 jump drive
128 GB USB 3.0

I formatted it to FAT, it has no operational problems with the X5.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #11,339 of 19,652

There are plenty of reports earlier in the thread of 128GB USB sticks working well. You'll need to search for the brand names...

Thanks.
This is what I bought:

Lexar S23 jump drive
128 GB USB 3.0

I formatted it to FAT, it has no operational problems with the X5.

I bought the same flash drive and ended up returning it, un-opened, because I couldn't get either of my other two Lexar flash drives, and a couple of other non Lexar ones, to work with the X5 and i was afraid of opening it and it not working and then not being able top return it to the store. I ended up purchasing a small capacity Sandisk for really cheap, as it was reported to work with the X5, to try out and it worked fine so I then purchased a 128GB Sandisk and it works well, but it cost quite a bit more than the Lexar one. Oh well.

I'd be interested in hearing about specific makes and models of 256GB USB drives that members have had success with for the X5.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #11,340 of 19,652

sorry, this will be fixed in the new firmware, you can also upgrade with the beta firmware in here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726023/fiio-x5-beta-firmware-2-06beta-2-07beta-download-and-discussion-all-sorts-of-sorting-improvements

Hi James, appreciate your feedback. However, I tried the beta software 2.07, now I have encountered one more problem. See screenshot. Tracks will play for less than 10secs (album arts and correct tags), it will make a popping then stop playing. Used SE535 and V-moda M100, same results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back