The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 1, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #10,726 of 19,652
X5 FW2.04beta is open for download for discussion here (please keep discussion of problems in dedicated beta FW discussion thread):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/725253/fiio-x5-beta-firmware-2-04-download-and-discussion-improvement-of-playlist-and-cue-handling

Various improvements in CUE and playlist handling.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #10,727 of 19,652

Very nice. Does any one know how the Pico Power perform against the Pico DAC/Amp.

Take a look at this.  Page 15 is the Pico Amp and Page 21 (last page) is the Pico Power.   The Power does not have the DAC, and the DAC on the Pico Amp is optional (I think Tyll tested the amp only version). 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllAmpsJuly2013.pdf

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #10,729 of 19,652
Hey!
I've just joined the club:
yesterday I received my X5 from The Headphone Bar (who's service is first rate, BTW!).
So far, I haven't seen any bugs or had any problems..
I'm using a Lexar 64 GB card with no troubles.
My preliminary impressions are the X5 sounds quite good driving my AKG Q701 phones!

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #10,730 of 19,652
Hey!
I've just joined the club:
yesterday I received my X5 from The Headphone Bar (who's service is first rate, BTW!).
So far, I haven't seen any bugs or had any problems..
I'm using a Lexar 64 GB card with no troubles.
My preliminary impressions are the X5 sounds quite good driving my AKG Q701 phones!

+1 for Headphone Bar! Got mine there as well, and most of my other gear. :D

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #10,732 of 19,652

Cooper, why did you chose to have the line in / out and volume at the bottom of the X5?

I mostly use my rigs on a tabletop, just like in the picture, at coffee shops etc. Having the screen and controls facing me with the volume control accessible is key for me. This also works great in a bag with volume control pointing up. A one hand motion pulls it out so the screen is turned right side up.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #10,733 of 19,652
I mostly use my rigs on a tabletop, just like in the picture, at coffee shops etc. Having the screen and controls facing me with the volume control accessible is key for me. This also works great in a bag with volume control pointing up. A one hand motion pulls it out so the screen is turned right side up.

Quite logical.

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #10,734 of 19,652
  I certainly don't plan to rename my 35,000 tracks to include track numbers in their title

This would take a few seconds with something like mp3tag or Foobar, and it is utterly standard and default practice (for many reasons) to have track numbers in the format 01, 02, 03 etc. at the start of filenames. It's possible to protest too much on this one.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #10,735 of 19,652
One can't protest enough about such a simple bit of functionality that just about every digital player (hardware and software) has been able to handle for 15 years. One should not have to go through hoops, rename files, or whatever to do what Fiio should be able to fix in their sleep.

But given the latest beta, it seems like they have little interest and the issue with track numbers and library file limits is clear evidence of a player definitely far from being ready for prime time, unfortunately.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #10,736 of 19,652
  One can't protest enough about such a simple bit of functionality that just about every digital player (hardware and software) has been able to handle for 15 years. One should not have to go through hoops, rename files, or whatever to do what Fiio should be able to fix in their sleep.

But given the latest beta, it seems like they have little interest and the issue with track numbers and library file limits is clear evidence of a player definitely far from being ready for prime time, unfortunately.

I agree. For me the song limits at 5800 almost cripple this device for me. I mean in 2014 why can't a device play every song I have on it? The reasoning for this is that it looks like this player was geared towards the Chinese who have far different habits/methods of enjoying their music than we do.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #10,737 of 19,652
Gonna love the silly 'this happened X years ago, so why not now?' argument. Why are smartphone's battery life not on 1000+hrs per charge when I had a whole week of battery life in my dumbphone 10 years ago? Why are we not colonizing the moon when we already sent people up there some 45 years ago?

The fact, FiiO is only in the DAP market for just one years. Who-did-what some X time ago might sound nice, but it does nothing to help a company on building a business from the ground up. I don't see Sony, Apple, Microsoft or Sandisk sending their senior engineer to help FiiO anytime soon, nor is FiiO going to be able to afford those engineer anyway. It is not an excuse that FiiO's DAP isn't as good as it can be, but at least have some perspective about it.

p/s: 5800 files limitation has nothing to do with the Chinese. Lets don't blame them for everything happened everywhere. It has to do with the limited RAM available to the SoC, which isn't exactly your TOTL SoC to begin with.

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #10,738 of 19,652

p/s: 5800 files limitation has nothing to do with the Chinese. Lets don't blame them for everything happened everywhere. It has to do with the limited RAM available to the SoC, which isn't exactly your TOTL SoC to begin with.

James himself said that the Chinese tend to listen to music using the browse by folder options. Thus they likely didn't even notice or sought to fix/change the SoC due to a limitation that they likely never experienced.

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #10,739 of 19,652
  One can't protest enough about such a simple bit of functionality that just about every digital player (hardware and software) has been able to handle for 15 years.

That's not the case though. I've encountered many applications including those by big corporations which play by filename in alphabetical order. Which is why almost everyone uses '01 Title.flac' etc. across the board. Now that you can mass rename files extremely easily based on your tags there's just no reason not to have that in place as a matter of diligent file management.

Most operating systems/file browsers won't display the files in order without the help of track numbers at the start either.

I never even noticed that the X5 wouldn't read track numbers as it plays everything I have gaplessly and in the correct order.

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #10,740 of 19,652

James himself said that the Chinese tend to listen to music using the browse by folder options. Thus they likely didn't even notice or sought to fix/change the SoC due to a limitation that they likely never experienced.

Didn't notice of certain thing is not equal to the cause of its happening. Problem exists not because we don't know about it. Basic causality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back