The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #8,042 of 19,652
  OMG. Only a "slight improvement" over a 160GB iPod Classic?  I hate the sound of my MB145LL 160GB iPod Classic 1st Gen, and was buying the X5 as an upgrade.  Now I wonder if I should bother.  Can anyone else offer a comparison with an iPod Classic?  I much prefer the sound of my Nokia N8, and all the reviews I read suggested the X5 would be similar, especially in terms of its "blackness".

Age8E replied:
Most everyone else in the thread has been really impressed with the X5's audio performance; only this one guy seems underwhelmed by its performance next to an iPod classic. And most of the others who weren't bowled over in the beginning have mentioned that it gets better after a break-in period.

I wouldn't start worrying because of this one comment.

krayziehustler replied:
Don't worry. Its a massive improvement for me. Remember everyone is different too and has different libraries.

Also one thing is not debatable and that is the output power of the X5 is so much higher so it will power your headphones much better than a bare iPodclassic could ever dream about powering.

Man, I was seriously worried for a bit there.  Like many here I take a while before I "pull the trigger" on a purchase, and I thought I'd been sent back to square one!

hansonsc56 replied:
I would caution that those statements are based on my hearing/experience. Your results might vary. And to be honest I don't know what Blackness is.

I didn't know what blackness was until I got my Nokia N8, but when someone used that description I immediately knew what they meant. Everything just stands out so clearly from other aspects of the same song, like the shadow on the wall of someone caught in a searchlight - so much space around, so much distance, and in between nothing but silence and vacuum.

AmazonUK are currently advertising the X5 as being reduced from £450 to £289.99.

soundblast75 replied:
I got mine thru Amazon and did see that ridiculous price reduction.
Its obviously just plain wrong,but it isn't gonna achieve anything disputing it.still gonna be the same price
Just for the principal tho i think its worth pointing it out to them and insist on removing the discount catch.
Well done mate:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers :) Yeah, when I said I was disputing it, I mean I've asked them change the page to remove any indication there's any kind of discount being applied.  And I checked: an item must previously have been on sale for at least 28 days in the past six months at the "higher" price at the same store for this to be a legitimate advertising technique.  I don't see how this can apply to the X5, it's barely been out for a month in the UK.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #8,043 of 19,652
I tried it already, it just reformatted it back to exFAT, after I had formatted it to NTFS. There is no option for FAT32

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #8,044 of 19,652

As a Windows Phone 8 and Surface Pro 2 user, I love this post. However it may be a bit optimistic. I really like Windows 8 "Metro" apps (Facebook, Explorer, Kindle, NYT and more) but the installed base for Windows RT only is small.

Those of us with full Windows 8 (actually 8.1 in my case) can use the X5 with Foobar or another music player and that is really wonderful. SP2 + Windows 8.1 > Foobar (with Crossfeed plugin) > X5 > Pico Power > FAD Heaven VI is wicked good.

Good luck though. I very much approve. 

@cooperpwc: Thanks for the tumbs up!

To all PC/Windows (RT) users , please unite and vote for Windows RT App to enable X5 USB-DAC for Windows (RT)

>>    https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=112

Thank you!

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #8,046 of 19,652
I know lock screens have been mentioned before but I have noticed something today I'm not sure was there before I updated to fw2 last night. With lock screen 1 selected the centre button is still active if you hold it for more than 1 second, this is incredibly annoying if you're carrying the x5 in your pocket as it reactivates all of the other controls and everything starts jumping, tracking etc. Puts a question mark over the portability somewhat, has anyone else found this? Worth a bug report? I hope it hadn't been designed this way on purpose as it truly makes no sense.

That is existing in 1.23 at least. Joe said many pages back they are checking into the "rogue center button on lockscreen 1" while James reported it was a feature. I may have missed posts in between so there may have been updates that I missed. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #8,047 of 19,652
Guys guys, all you need to do to get a FAT32 formatted mSD card is to pop the card in the X5 and format it within the X5 itself :xf_eek:

(Go to settings (cog symbol)->format card (or something like that, I don't have the X5 with me))

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 29, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #8,048 of 19,652
Formating micro sd card in X5
1 Take your x5 unit that is unpluged from Computer
2 Place a Micro sd card in slot 1 or 2 of X5
3 Find system settings on x5 (looks like a gear/cog) press center buttom
4 scroll up or down and find Format press center buttom
5 choose which slot has card in press center buttom

x5 will format card to FAT32.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #8,049 of 19,652
Guys guys, all you need to do to get a FAT32 formatted mSD card is to pop the card in the X5 and format it within the X5 itself
redface.gif

(Go to settings (cog symbol)->format card (or something like that, I don't have the X5 with me))

I don't see an option to format card on my X5 under the settings menu. Is there another way to do it?

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #8,051 of 19,652
Yes, I am in system settings, I do not see a format option after scrolling down.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #8,053 of 19,652
  Yes, I am in system settings, I do not see a format option after scrolling down.

You have to scroll down to the bottom of the list. It is between "About X5" & "Reset Factory Defaults".

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #8,055 of 19,652

Very odd.  Which firmware are you using?  I'm using 2.0 and my last options under system settings are:
Sleep
Sleep timer
USB mode
About X5
Format
Restore factory defaults

I am still on the default FW - 1.20, trying to upgrade to 2.0 but finding it very difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back