The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 29, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #8,011 of 19,652
Problems with the 2.0 firmware.

I took my X5 for its first airplane ride yesterday.  The X5 has performed flawlessly through the various itierations of firmware.  I had just upgraded it to 2.0 on Sunday.

I noticed that gapless no longer worked -- it was back to the same 1/2 second or so gap between tracks as in the original firmware.  I also noticed that it no longer displayed album covers embedded in tracks.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm going to try re-flashing the firmware update. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #8,012 of 19,652
Just a quick question, I just got both of my 128 GB Sandisk cards and it looks like they are defaulted to exFAT, with the option to reformat only to NTFS, I forget which format do I need to set them too again?

Also, being that none of my cards can be formatted to FAT32, how am I supposed to update the firmware? Can I just plug the device in via USB and do it that way instead of using a card? Thanks

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #8,013 of 19,652
  Just a quick question, I just got both of my 128 GB Sandisk cards and it looks like they are defaulted to exFAT, with the option to reformat only to NTFS, I forget which format do I need to set them too again?

Also, being that none of my cards can be formatted to FAT32, how am I supposed to update the firmware? Can I just plug the device in via USB and do it that way instead of using a card? Thanks

Look on the web for a program called GUI Format. It will allow you to format your cards to FAT32.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #8,014 of 19,652
Some thoughts on X5. Have had for a week. […] Some of my files are ALAC's.Compared to 160GB Ipod classic. Listening to both through KEF M500's and 200's, Grado sr80, and miles davis trumpets. Not using an amplifier. Slight improvement in sound quality with ALAC's on X5. Same with mp3's.
So somewhat better sound, poorer interface, no video in a better case. Costs a bit more, especially when you consider media cost s (Best Buy lists 128gb cards at $200).

I will continue to use to see/hear if there are improvements.

OMG. Only a "slight improvement" over a 160GB iPod Classic?  I hate the sound of my MB145LL 160GB iPod Classic 1st Gen, and was buying the X5 as an upgrade.  Now I wonder if I should bother.  Can anyone else offer a comparison with an iPod Classic?  I much prefer the sound of my Nokia N8, and all the reviews I read suggested the X5 would be similar, especially in terms of its "blackness".

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #8,015 of 19,652
  Problems with the 2.0 firmware.

I took my X5 for its first airplane ride yesterday.  The X5 has performed flawlessly through the various itierations of firmware.  I had just upgraded it to 2.0 on Sunday.

I noticed that gapless no longer worked -- it was back to the same 1/2 second or so gap between tracks as in the original firmware.  I also noticed that it no longer displayed album covers embedded in tracks.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm going to try re-flashing the firmware update. 

Gapless and embedded album art are both working fine for me in 2.0.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #8,016 of 19,652

Look on the web for a program called GUI Format. It will allow you to format your cards to FAT32.

Do you have a link, I tried a google search but I am not sure what I am looking for. The first link kind of looked like a virus or something.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #8,017 of 19,652

SD cards should ideally be formatted with the official, free and recommended SD Formatter application, available on the SD Card website (I don't think I'm allowed to post links yet) for both Mac and PC.  It respects special protected areas that other formatters ignore, apparently.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #8,018 of 19,652
  OMG. Only a "slight improvement" over a 160GB iPod Classic?  I hate the sound of my MB145LL 160GB iPod Classic 1st Gen, and was buying the X5 as an upgrade.  Now I wonder if I should bother.  Can anyone else offer a comparison with an iPod Classic?  I much prefer the sound of my Nokia N8, and all the reviews I read suggested the X5 would be similar, especially in terms of its "blackness".

Most everyone else in the thread has been really impressed with the X5's audio performance; only this one guy seems underwhelmed by its performance next to an iPod classic. And most of the others who weren't bowled over in the beginning have mentioned that it gets better after a break-in period.

I wouldn't start worrying because of this one comment.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #8,021 of 19,652

Don't worry. Its a massive improvement for me. Remember everyone is different too and has different libraries.

Also one thing is not debatable and that is the output power of the X5 is so much higher so it will power your headphones much better than a bare iPod classic could ever dream about powering.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #8,023 of 19,652

You can format the card in the X5, System Settings, then format.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #8,024 of 19,652

Or use the format tool installed with the firmware?

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #8,025 of 19,652
  I was able to change the default bg for now playing and for usb dac

so yeah this really works for x5 too!

Any creative minds here? who can make a black and green theme or just recolor please ^^ its just that red and black theme isnt really my thing and green matches the color of my akg q701 (sadly i don't have any talent when it comes to art)

Can you post the changes you made? Or is there any documentation somewhere to reference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back