The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 29, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #8,026 of 19,652
I know lock screens have been mentioned before but I have noticed something today I'm not sure was there before I updated to fw2 last night. With lock screen 1 selected the centre button is still active if you hold it for more than 1 second, this is incredibly annoying if you're carrying the x5 in your pocket as it reactivates all of the other controls and everything starts jumping, tracking etc. Puts a question mark over the portability somewhat, has anyone else found this? Worth a bug report? I hope it hadn't been designed this way on purpose as it truly makes no sense.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #8,028 of 19,652
The default formatter only gives me the option of exFAT or NTFS. Why no FAT32?

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #8,029 of 19,652
AmazonUK are currently advertising the X5 as being reduced from £450 to £289.99.  I'm disputing this with them, as AFAICT it's always been available for £289.99 in the UK, from both authorised resellers, and in line with the SRP of $350.  But maybe I'm wrong?  Can anyone confirm that this item was previously on sale for £450 from a legitimate reseller, and for a minimum of a month?  I can't find any evidence of this anywhere.  I don't like the fact Amazon are claiming a discount, and I believe it actually breaches UK sale pricing legislation.
Also, they claim it's been available on their site since February 17th, but all the information I can find indicates a UK release date between March and April.  I can't access the Fiio site just now because it's sloooowwww, presumably because of the 2.0 firmware downloaders :)

I got mine thru Amazon and did see that ridiculous price reduction.
Its obviously just plain wrong,but it isn't gonna achieve anything disputing it.still gonna be the same price
Just for the principal tho i think its worth pointing it out to them and insist on removing the discount catch.
Well done mate:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #8,031 of 19,652

That's why you need to either format inside the X5 or use the official SDFormatter tool

Can you format to FAT32 with the X5? I downloaded the tool and am trying it now but I don't understand what to do.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #8,032 of 19,652
That formatting tool does not let me select FAT32, it just formatted it back to exFAT.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #8,033 of 19,652
How can I reformat my 128 GB card to FAT32 with the X5? I will try that next since the SD tool doesn't work.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #8,034 of 19,652
  OMG. Only a "slight improvement" over a 160GB iPod Classic?  I hate the sound of my MB145LL 160GB iPod Classic 1st Gen, and was buying the X5 as an upgrade.  Now I wonder if I should bother.  Can anyone else offer a comparison with an iPod Classic?  I much prefer the sound of my Nokia N8, and all the reviews I read suggested the X5 would be similar, especially in terms of its "blackness".

I've come to the X5 from a Ipod video which as far as I can tell has a Wolfson DAC in it (someone with more knowledge than me can say if that's important or not).
I will say the X5 has far more detail in the sound than the Ipod and with headphones on you can almost place where each instrument is on the stage as well as the singers. 
I'm only on about the fifth or sixth recharge and I'm not sure what to expect from the bass transformation , sometimes I find the X5 almost tiring to listen to and I wonder if this what people mean when they say the sound is not warm.
At this time the X5 sounds the best on headphones or plugged into a reasonable stereo I would imagine if you have a really great stereo at home the thing would awesome it sounds pretty good on my little Cambridge Audio Minx speaker although a little short on the bass.
Sorry if I've used the wrong terms or sound like I don't know what I'm talking about I'm not really a audiophile just an average bloke with an X5. 
Arcright 

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #8,035 of 19,652
I just used the tool on my mac and then looked at the card info and is says MS-DOS (fat16).

It might be better to reformat again in the X5.

Anybody got and ideas about this?

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #8,036 of 19,652
Ok, so when the X5 is plugged in via USB with the 128 GB card inserted I still only have the option to format in NTFS or exFAT? I guess I need to just buy another card that is already formatted in FAT32, geez this is silly.

So the cards come preformatted in exFAT, the X5 will only use them with NTFS, and to update the firmware they need to be in FAT32, which will erase all the data if already formatted in NTFS? This just seems excessively confusing.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #8,037 of 19,652
  Ok, so when the X5 is plugged in via USB with the 128 GB card inserted I still only have the option to format in NTFS or exFAT? I guess I need to just buy another card that is already formatted in FAT32, geez this is silly.

So the cards come preformatted in exFAT, the X5 will only use them with NTFS, and to update the firmware they need to be in FAT32, which will erase all the data if already formatted in NTFS? This just seems excessively confusing.

You need to use the SDFormatter tool from sdcard.org. Windows will NOT let you do it without using this 3rd party app.

Here is the manual to explain how to use it. This is guaranteed to work by the way.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/SDFormatter_4e.pdf

Just use FAT32 to load music and keep it that way. All my cards are FAT32 so I can easily move between Firmwares

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #8,039 of 19,652

Unplug x5 from computer, Go to systems settings and select format card, pick the card and go.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #8,040 of 19,652
I tried that already, it does not give an option for FAT32, anyway I just ordered an 8GB card off Amazon, I'll just do it that way, was only $5. Thanks for the help though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back