The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 25, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #7,606 of 19,652
1st or 2nd batch of preorders?

I also got the email that mp4Nation fedexed my X5, order placed on March 21, 2014 4:06:43 PM CST, 2nd batch pre-order. Only a fews days now.

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #7,607 of 19,652

Unless if it's all in my head, the X5 seems to need a pretty considerable amount of burning in; about 5-6 full charge cycles or more. Either way I've been noticing the sound of my X5 getting a lot smoother and the bass less "clicky" than when I just got it. At first I thought they were improvements from the new firmwares but I've been sitting on 1.23beta for a while now I still notice sound improvements. 

Sounds promising!

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #7,608 of 19,652
I hava a question about DAC mode. I'm using X5 on Win8.1.
It works but there's apparently something wrong with reckognizing sampling rates.
Do I have to manually change sampling rate in drivers depending on song?
Right after installing the drivers X5 shows on screen 24 bit 48kHz no matter what I was playing via Foobar.
I change in drivers setup to 24/192 and X5 shows 24/192 but does it mean that it's the max possible sampling and every song passes through as it is or is it oversampling every song to 24/192?
Doesn't X5 recognize what file is playing? Or is it another issue reserved just for Win8.1 users?

I will cross post my reply from the E18 thread:

Have you checked that 24/96 is enabled on the E18 in the driver settings?

BTW, if you're running windows 7, this hotfix from Microsoft is required to prevent audio bugbears from cropping up in the case of resampling
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2653312

An analysis of window's audio performance before and after the hotfix
http://www.indexcom.com/tech/WindowsAudioSRC/

The latter part about the resampling bug is only applicable to windows 7 but the principle regarding sample rates is the same AFAIK: foobar does not control the output sample rate of the sound device, what you should do is change the sample rate of the X5 in the settings for sound devices in window's control panel. To get the best performance with all files you could set the X5 to 24/192 in the windows control panel and then use foobar's excellent Resampling (PPHS) plugin to resample all music sources to 24/192 (which means no resampling in the case of native 24/192 songs and top-quality upsampling in the case of lower sample rate songs).

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 25, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #7,609 of 19,652
I will cross post my reply from the E18 thread:
The latter part about the resampling bug is only applicable to windows 7 but the principle regarding sample rates is the same AFAIK: foobar does not control the output sample rate of the sound device, what you should do is change the sample rate of the X5 in the settings for sound devices in window's control panel. To get the best performance with all files you could set the X5 to 24/192 in the windows control panel and then use foobar's excellent Resampling (PPHS) plugin to resample all music sources to 24/192 (which means no resampling in the case of native 24/192 songs and top-quality upsampling in the case of lower sample rate songs).

Thanks for reply.
That's what I though. I already changed default format to 24/192 in drivers option (there's no list of supported sample rates in this particular driver).
I just need to enable the plugin in foobar. I'm guessing it will take much more processing power but that shouldn't be a problem for core i7.
Shame though you have to go through all this. I was planning to sold my E18 after buying X5 but plug & play is much more comfortable solution. I think I'll keep both (plus E18 is substantialy more powerful which may come in handy someday - for now I'm using only IEMs).

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #7,610 of 19,652
Thanks for reply.
That's what I though. I already changed default format to 24/192 in drivers option (there's no list of supported sample rates in this particular driver).
I just need to enable the plugin in foobar. I'm guessing it will take much more processing power but that shouldn't be a problem for core i7.
Shame though you have to go through all this. I was planning to sold my E18 after buying X5 but plug & play is much more comfortable solution. I think I'll keep both (plus E18 is substantialy more powerful which may come in handy someday - for now I'm using only IEMs).

It's the same story with the E18, it just doesn't have a handy LCD screen telling you you're still stuck at 16/44.1 :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 25, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #7,611 of 19,652
It's the same story with the E18, it just doesn't have a handy LCD screen telling you you're still stuck at 16/44.1
biggrin.gif

So I've been using it for the past 3 months without this knowledge... Still sounded good:)
Thanks again.
X5 was set as 24/48 (default) maybe E18 is too - I've to check it.
I wonder if there'll be any difference...

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #7,612 of 19,652
Can't take 5 steps with this player in my pocket without repeated skips and replays. Impossible to walk with it, just the pressure of my fleece shifting when I move pushes the buttons. I hope FiiO reconsiders adjusting the lockscreens.

For all those who have the same problem, here is the answer of Fiio to my last email:

Thanks for your mail and support to FiiO!

Sincerely sorry for any inconvenience which the X5 has brought to you.

Thanks very much for your feedback. [COLOR=FF00AA]We will submit this feedback to our software engineers to analyse whether the lockscreen1 configuration can be changed to only the volume control is active.
You know, if we change the lockscreen configuration, maybe a lot of other customers will complain about the change.[/COLOR]
We will try our best to satisfy the customers' needs, but we can't insure that every need will surely be realized.
Any understanding will be appreciated!

You can click the link below to know official plans for firmware updates for the X5 after version 1.10.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/707751/official-plans-for-firmware-updates-for-the-x5-after-version-1-10

If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us!
Have an excellent day! ^_^

Best Regards,
FiiO Customer Service

I think the solution would be to add a lockscreen configuration 3 instead of replacing one of those available to avoid having unsatisfied customers... but that's only my opinion...

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #7,614 of 19,652
Hello - just got my new X5 - still charging up - and transferring music to a 64GB card in preparation.  Quick question:  It was delivered with firmware 1.20 - I know there is a 1.23Beta out there - is it worth it?? Or should I start with 1.20 and see what happens?  I know that 2.0 is on the horizon as well . . .

Thanks in advance -
R.Fox

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #7,616 of 19,652
  Hello - just got my new X5 - still charging up - and transferring music to a 64GB card in preparation.  Quick question:  It was delivered with firmware 1.20 - I know there is a 1.23Beta out there - is it worth it?? Or should I start with 1.20 and see what happens?  I know that 2.0 is on the horizon as well . . .

Thanks in advance -
R.Fox

In my opinion yeah, it improves UI responsiveness, adds DSD support, and fixes gapless, among other things. It's all the way back in page 456 if you're interested.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #7,617 of 19,652
I have definitely been learning the idea of patience. I'm here in Saudi Arabia stuck without the X5 which was delivered to my home in USA back on Apr 7th. And to make matters even more frustrating is that I have access to 128GB memory easily here and even got me another set of Headphones from NAD which I'm desperate to try with it. I have a musical fidelity DAC which is nice but I'm just itching to see what it sounds like on the X5 unit pfffft.  I keep seeing everyone's unit shipped - opened - testing-- etc... I need a drink!..wait.. I cant even have a drink!!!
triportsad.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #7,618 of 19,652

Thanks in advance -
R.Fox

Yes, and in addition to what @Pekku mentions, 1.23 beta to me seems more stable than 1.20 (which crashed at least once a day) 

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #7,619 of 19,652
I think the solution would be to add a lockscreen configuration 3 instead of replacing one of those available to avoid having unsatisfied customers... but that's only my opinion...

Agree, what I personally want to see is more options or a customizing option. It's just my one preference of course but altering lock screen 1 does not solve my issues with carrying in a pocket. Lockscreen 1 as it is has not enough functionality for me to use (I need the quick access to play/pause provided by lockscreen 2 without the far-too-easily pressed skip track buttons active). I voted on the bug, all we can do is give our feedback and hope a good solution is implemented that makes more folks happy and not more folks angry. As always, sure appreciate James and Joe's willingness to listen and respond.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #7,620 of 19,652
Unless if it's all in my head, the X5 seems to need a pretty considerable amount of burning in; about 5-6 full charge cycles or more. Either way I've been noticing the sound of my X5 getting a lot smoother and the bass less "clicky" than when I just got it. At first I thought they were improvements from the new firmwares but I've been sitting on 1.23beta for a while now I still notice sound improvements. 

I tend to agree. I've always been skeptical about the whole burn in issue. But when I first received my X5, I found the bass to be lacking and the treble a bit tinny (UE900 blue stock cable). I decided to leave it playing for close to 50 hours, since there were some comments about the sound signature changing after a burn in period.

On my second listen, I found more authority in the bass. And treble sounded much better. Been using the X5 for the past week and I must say, the sound continues to improve. I'm loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back