The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 25, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #7,636 of 19,652
I am using Exact Audio Copy to rip FLAC files from CD's. I create artist folders with album subfolders. The folders include the album image file. When played on the X5, the album art doesn't appear all the time. Any suggestions?

I believe the X5 requires artwork embedded in file tags, not folders.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #7,643 of 19,652
none of the images are that big

What are the pixel dimensions and image file size dimensions (in kilobytes) for the embedded art that doesn't show up?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 25, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #7,644 of 19,652
X5 Issues

FWIW: Having been an audiophile & vinyl junkie for years the X5 is my DAP debut.

Firstly I ain't impressed with the 5800 limitation. 40 or 50 albums in Flac and the 64GB card is far from full. Whats worse is updating the media library, which stalls at 5800, also trashes a majority of my files which have taken hours to transfer eg: 95% of folders rendered empty. I have installed the latest firmware BTW v1.20 and am ready to smash this thing!!!

I have audio files & mu3s in folders sometimes 3 folders deep to keep my albums orderly.

Note: This player works flawlessly via the OTG cable and when paired to the Mont Blanc amp, even with standard issue Iphone ear-buds, sounds awesome. So...can anyone here offer me an elaboration upon the next course of action I may take to remedy my problems?

Thanks in advance
Hassles

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #7,645 of 19,652
  I'm looking at the X5 as a direct replacement for my current iPod Classic/Nokia N8/ALAC/iTunes setup, but a comprehensive search over a couple of days has still left me with a few doubts.  By the way, I apologise if my use of bold text is frowned upon on the forums.  I saw someone else use it here as a way of highlighting the question portions of their posts, and decided to adopt it.

@rfox: You said:
Is the X5 the equal of (or better than) the E17 as a DAC?  If so I could sell my E17 to fund the price of the X5.  A review on Headmania mentions if briefly, but I thought I'd get another opinion too. 

Also, I searched this thread but no-one seems to have asked this question: when browsing by Album tag (not in Folder mode), does the X5 respect the CD No. ID3 tag (officially I believe it is the TPOS - Part Of A Set frame)?  I've experienced some players which ignore it and you end up with equally numbered tracks listed together, which isn't desirable.  Also, does the X5 support and display the Grouping tag? I'm guessing not, as it appears to be a custom tag created for iTunes, but worth a punt.

Regarding gapless playback, which I read is fixed in the latest beta: when enabled, does gapless playback only apply to those tracks with the "Part of a gapless album" tag applied, or universally?

A potential deal-breaker for me at the moment is how the X5 handles the swapping in and out of the SD storage cards.  I currently have my whole 3700-song collection stored on 32GB µSDHC cards for use with another player (not the iPod), and I don't much fancy forking out for larger cards until the price drops significantly.  This means I'd have to swap-in cards from time to time, perhaps frequently.  I have a dedicated carry-case for them so that's not an issue, but I watched a video review of the X5 by a Chinese guy, and when he demonstrated adding tracks manually to the device the time taken to add only 180-odd tracks made me fear for the length of time it would take to add 1000+!  So, what I need to know is, when I insert an SD card for the first time, how long does the X5 take to make the tracks available?  And, what does the X5 do when you remove an SD card - does it remove the tracks it contained from the database?  If so, that means I'll have to re-scan 1000+ files every time I swap-in a card, which sounds horrible.  OTOH, if it does keep them in the database, and you attempt to play a track that's on an SD card that's been removed, will the X5 prompt you to insert the appropriate card?

BTW, I love the "Search thread" feature here on Head-Fi.  Don't think I've seen such a thing on other forums I've used. Awesome.

I never did try it out as a dedicated amp/dac, but I will say that it is much more resolving than the E17 - it brings out the fine details with ease. I find the E17 to be fairly warm and forgiving in comparison, so it all depends what kind of sound you're after. Keep in mind the fact that the resolving nature of the X5 means a spotlight is put on lesser-quality recordings - it is fairly easy to hear flaws that the E17 isn't capable of picking up. The tendency I noticed was a bit of harshness in the upper-mids when a recording was not up to snuff - vocals can be a bit fatiguing (this of course depends on your headphones, too) . The payoff is abundantly clear when you have a well-mastered/engineered recording - you'll have a hard time putting it down or doing anything other than listening. I think it should work very well with a pair of mildly-warm headphones, but that is only a theory. YMMV.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #7,646 of 19,652
Why would the laptop vibrate if the power cord is inserted into the receptacle "the wrong way"?
I don't see any logic in that.

Poor isolation on the power adapter. The "vibration" is not a physical vibration but more a "vibration feeling" as if electric current was going through the entire body of the laptop.

Anyway, we're far off topic here. I offer you to contact me directly if my explanations are not clear.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #7,647 of 19,652
  X5 Issues

FWIW: Having been an audiophile & vinyl junkie for years the X5 is my DAP debut.

Firstly I ain't impressed with the 5800 limitation. 40 or 50 albums in Flac and the 64GB card is far from full. Whats worse is updating the media library, which stalls at 5800, also trashes a majority of my files which have taken hours to transfer eg: 95% of folders rendered empty. I have installed the latest firmware BTW v1.20 and am ready to smash this thing!!!

I have audio files & mu3s in folders sometimes 3 folders deep to keep my albums orderly.

Note: This player works flawlessly via the OTG cable and when paired to the Mont Blanc amp, even with standard issue Iphone ear-buds, sounds awesome. So...can anyone here offer me an elaboration upon the next course of action I may take to remedy my problems?

Thanks in advance
Hassles

Welcome to Head-fi

FYI the 5800 file limit is being worked on by the Fiio engineers (well documented in this thread already) - so patience is in order (it will be fixed in an update).

However I'm confused by your post.  40-50 Flac albums = (even at 15 tracks per album) 750 files - where do you get the 5800 limit from?  If you mistakenly meant to say 400-500 albums, I could understand the limit - but then 400-500 albums at 300 Mb each would actually be around 1.5 Gb (which doesn't make sense either).  Last thing is your comment on the X5 trashing the files - which no-one else has had any experience with the X5 doing.

Perhaps a greater detail explanation of exactly what you file set-up is, how they are tagged etc may be in order.  Does the X5 even support m3u's?

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #7,649 of 19,652

Welcome to Head-fi

FYI the 5800 file limit is being worked on by the Fiio engineers (well documented in this thread already) - so patience is in order (it will be fixed in an update).

However I'm confused by your post.  40-50 Flac albums = (even at 15 tracks per album) 750 files - where do you get the 5800 limit from?  If you mistakenly meant to say 400-500 albums, I could understand the limit - but then 400-500 albums at 300 Mb each would actually be around 1.5 Gb (which doesn't make sense either).  Last thing is your comment on the X5 trashing the files - which no-one else has had any experience with the X5 doing.

Perhaps a greater detail explanation of exactly what you file set-up is, how they are tagged etc may be in order.  Does the X5 even support m3u's?

G'day

Sandisk Ultra 64GB cards used formatted FAT32

X5 Firmware: 1.20

The (FLAC/audio) files are ripped to folders on the HDD. If only one albums by that artist exists then then audio files are directly within that folder. If more than one album by an artist exists then there will be two (or more) folders within the initial folder - same as any other file directory structure. These (all) folders contain nothing more than the FLAC files and an m3u file (created by Asunder). No File Tagging Employed

These are then "copied" to the microSD card. The microSD card is inserted to the X5 - Update media library selected and it rambles on to 5800 and freezes. 

And I made no mistake - maybe as many as 60 CDs ripped to FLAC equalling about 29GB of data.

I can get the X5 to start (re-start) and it functions as expected until I select a folder that is empty - the X5 then froze. This is now displaying No Music Found and allows me to back-track - which is an improvement over the initial freezing episodes. This change in itself confuses me.

The folders are displayed alphabetically and from A: onwards as you would expect. From A all is good, all folders beginning with B are also good etc (10 folders in all) but at folder #11 and onwards, all folders are empty. This microSD card, then inserted in the USB reader at attached via OTG will not give access to any additional music files which have, for all intents and purposes, vanished. That is to say, the files in those fist 10 folders are all still good - from here in they have all gone.

These identical files from the HDD copied to USB stick and attached via OTG function flawlessly.

My understanding is that the X5 will ignore the m3u files (which it does). So where does the 5800 come from? I don't either.

Thanks for your response :)

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #7,650 of 19,652
@Hassles: Use Folder Browsing

Using Folder Browsing does nothing other than to display the folders (alphabetically listed)  allowing access to existent audio files - that is the ones that haven't vanished. Attempts to access these folders generates No Music Found message. 

I am happy with the hierarchical folders too BTW. It suits me just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back