The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 31, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #5,686 of 19,652
Yeah, ugh.. I was holding off on buying them with my next check because I just pre-ordered the x5.. I can't spend that kind of money again.. guess I will just have to get one.. if only I knew I would have taken the risk and ordered them then!

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #5,687 of 19,652
Anyone noticed the delightful soul trying to sell an X5 on eBay for $1,499 (Buy It Now), starting bid, $799?

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #5,688 of 19,652
  whoa whoa whoa... does anyone know what happened with the SanDisk 128gb Micro SD cards? I had it in my cart on Amazon, and it was no longer there, so I looked it up again and it's now going for $240?!

Crap, is this the new price? Was the $119 a special price? Oh my God why did I not order 2 of these when I had the chance? Will these prices be down anywhere.. anyone know of places still selling them for that price?

Man.. what a bummer!

Buying stuff on amazon is tricky.  Amazon price is still $119, but they sold out.  There is another seller listed under 128gb card (spin central card) and that's the only available option.  That seller just doubled the price for the heck of it because of supply/demand.  For all you know, he might be selling fake ones.  I would NOT buy it from any other seller but Amazon directly.  Be careful when you click on Add to Cart from the main page because you don't know who you are buying from.  Click on list of sellers and select it from Amazon directly.  Just wait until they are back in stock.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #5,689 of 19,652
  Anyone noticed the delightful soul trying to sell an X5 on eBay for $1,499 (Buy It Now), starting bid, $799?

That gave me such a big grin.

This guy is literally buying it off MP4Nation or something and selling it that way.

Notice how he is shipping it from California, yet has a picture of an opened X5 and describes the unit being sold as new from HK.

I can only think that he already has an X5 himself but is ordering another one to see who is stupid enough to buy it at $1,500

Someone should pm him on ebay and bid $100 :wink:

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #5,690 of 19,652
  Buying stuff on amazon is tricky.  Amazon price is still $119, but they sold out.  There is another seller listed under 128gb card (spin central card) and that's the only available option.  That seller just doubled the price for the heck of it because of supply/demand.  For all you know, he might be selling fake ones.  I would NOT buy it from any other seller but Amazon directly.  Be careful when you click on Add to Cart from the main page because you don't know who you are buying from.  Click on list of sellers and select it from Amazon directly.  Just wait until they are back in stock.

Ahhhh this makes sense - thanks! Staples has them for about $136 but I will wait for SanDisk to list them on Amazon again - thanks! I got scared for a minute!

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #5,691 of 19,652
MP4Nation preorderers - here is the response I received asking for an update:

Hi
I am sorry for the delay, FiiO delayed the dispatch of the first round of X5 stock by a week in order to update all their X5 units with the latest firmware. We are expecting the stock to arrive this week.
Thanks

With best regards,
General Support

Doesn't exactly line up with what James said, but here's hoping!

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #5,692 of 19,652
  Ahhhh this makes sense - thanks! Staples has them for about $136 but I will wait for SanDisk to list them on Amazon again - thanks! I got scared for a minute!

Here is another golden piece of info :wink:  Best Buy will do 100% price match of most of the products sold on Amazon.  They can still give you a hard time, especially since often you find exactly the same product with an identical part number except for the last letter difference (manufacturers often change the last suffix letter to track amazon sales opposite from brick stores).  So you might have to twist their arm, but BB has been very aggressive to prevent people from window shopping in their store just to order it on-line from Amazon.  Also, their on-line prices are cheaper than the one in the store, and one of their managers told me it's because they want to drive more traffic to their on-line store (thus the reason BB closing a lot of their brick stores due to cost of operation).  So once it's back on Amazon, I would also check with BB availability - nothing beats an instant gratification of picking it up at the store :)

Btw, I just pinged my Sandisk contact (I reviewed their 128GB microSD last month: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2673651), and waiting for their confirmation about the pricing and Amazon availability.  Will post a reply once I hear back.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #5,693 of 19,652
Yes, and thanks, Fatman for your commiserating reply. If I were to title myself likewise, I would have to call myself Skinnyman28, lol, no offense meant. Just want to inject a little humor here.
The real pain you must feel, as I do, is that there are painfully few of us that know that classical music gets you in touch with your humanity and deep feelings. I say this as one who also likes rock and Rock and Roll, as well as Jazz. I'm happy to say that as an ex-denizen of the East Village in Manhattan, I became friends with Charlie Mingus, who happens to be, along with Dave Brubeck, my all-time favorite jazzman.
I first got introduced (besides my mother listening to Beethoven when I was in my womb) in grade school. I know I was one of two who became enthused with that music.  I won every school competition of "Name that Tune" and increased my prize earnings of LPs throughout grade school of which I am still obviously proud.
Classical symphony, demands, as well as Jazz, more responsive equipment to give voice to the more complex interplay of the many instruments involved as well as the subtle dynamics.
My interest in the Fiio X5 is naturally that I hope to have a portable way of hearing those subtleties anywhere I want, even comparable to home systems or at least coming very close.  From what I am "hearing" on Head-Fi, it could be that I will be able to have that experience to a much greater degree than I had with the J3, as well as the various Sansas I've owned.
I am gratified to know as well that James from Fiio is undoubtedly a great and evolved human being who is responsive to others and that is another very big reason for my wanting to own an X5.
I'm sure many here readily agree with me. No? Compare him to other company managers from Cowon and Sansa. It's like comparing JFK to.... Obama, lol.
I just hope that he must know of the coming avalanche of orders that will be coming in so I can get one of those players in June, heh heh.

I try to leaf through my backlog of posts on this thread and am lucky enough to happen across this gem of a post... :)

I've highlighted this post for James, told him who JFK is, and I'm sure James will be deeply honored and humbled by your comparison at the same time :smile:

Moving on, I'd just like to notify you guys about the firmware updates:
X5 shipped worldwide with FW1.20. Version 1.21 I have here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoqyti6c01z7e9p/x5-fw1.21.zip

Alas, the new versions are coming by so fast that the engineers don't even have time to write changelogs :p But this new version is a highly recommended upgrade. Among other things (that I'll tell you about once I grab hold of an engineer to write a full changelog for me), 1.21 finally puts DSD decoding and high-fidelity 32-bit lossy (e.g. mp3) formats decoding into a stable firmware; RobC also noted that it solved an issue he had with connecting the X5 to the computer with every other version of firmware.

:beerchug:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 31, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #5,694 of 19,652
So the email from HDPHNS today stated that there's a one to two week delay in shipping because of updates to both hardware and software. That doesn't sound right - or are they referring to an earlier delay?

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #5,695 of 19,652

Here is another golden piece of info :wink:  Best Buy will do 100% price match of most of the products sold on Amazon.  They can still give you a hard time, especially since often you find exactly the same product with an identical part number except for the last letter difference (manufacturers often change the last suffix letter to track amazon sales opposite from brick stores).  So you might have to twist their arm, but BB has been very aggressive to prevent people from window shopping in their store just to order it on-line from Amazon.  Also, their on-line prices are cheaper than the one in the store, and one of their managers told me it's because they want to drive more traffic to their on-line store (thus the reason BB closing a lot of their brick stores due to cost of operation).  So once it's back on Amazon, I would also check with BB availability - nothing beats an instant gratification of picking it up at the store :)

Btw, I just pinged my Sandisk contact (I reviewed their 128GB microSD last month: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2673651), and waiting for their confirmation about the pricing and Amazon availability.  Will post a reply once I hear back.

And here is an official reply from Sandisk:

We're temporarily out of stock on Amazon so if people are looking to purchase the card it will be a little while (I'm not exactly sure on how long) until we get more. The pricing isn't going up though, that's just from some individual reseller.

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #5,696 of 19,652
The response from mp4nation does not make sense, since units are shipping already to other suppliers. They probably are not in the first batch. When I emailed them last week, they stated middle of April for getting their stock. I have heard from other sources, that they are not the quickest, when it comes to getting stock/shipping. However, their prices are good with FedEx shipping and special offers.

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #5,697 of 19,652
Are the x5 available in Singapore somewhere? My father is there now on a trip and could pick one up for me. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Collected mine during lunch time earlier today from Treoo.  You can visit their website and speak to the sales person via web message.  Saw few boxes there not sure whether they are all reserved or have some spare unit to sell.  

Thank you, I will check with them. Is Treoo in a good neighborhood for a traveler less familiar with Singapore to enter?

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #5,698 of 19,652
For those that ordered with B&H, possible good news. Spoke with sales person and he confirmed that they will be receiving the X5 tomorrow (of course nothing is ever guaranteed). Not sure if they will have extra available, but all pre-ordered X5s are guaranteed. Can't wait... I hope!

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #5,700 of 19,652
Has anyone heard when the second batch of preorders from MP4Nation will arrive?
The wait is killing me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back