The Fiio X5 Thread
May 1, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #8,296 of 19,652
  Anyone else having tracks skip while listening to the X5 under FW 2.0? I have gotten it a few times now, rather annoying, luckily turning it off and back on has fixed it each time so far.

I had that happen to me(skip/lag/distort - I don't know how exactly to explain it) yesterday while listening to somewhat heavily compressed Skrillex - Bangarang. It's only ever happened twice with this specific song and with none other, but it was weird to me to hear it.

May 1, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #8,297 of 19,652
JamesFiioThe rubber closure of the 2nd TF card slot just broke off, is this easily replacable?

May 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #8,298 of 19,652
My X5 arrived today but after reading everything here I have decided to keep it in it's box, bury it in the backyard, crawl into bed and stay under the covers until something indicates life is safe. It could happen.

(in truth, I am happy to find the USB/Charging cable is the same as the one for my X3 so now I have a spare. The X5 is charging and I have an 8 GB card with FW 2.0 sitting in wait. Two 128 GB cards are on their way. The X5 is HUGE but it feels nice! I can't wait for the burn-in process to be over.)(and the X3 totally removed any doubt I had about burn-in improvements)

Update: The firmware update went perfectly, no issues. I put a 64 GB card with 20 GB of FLAC files on it and the index took maybe 20 seconds. First headphones tried were B&W P5's and they sounded a little congested so I plugged in some Koss Porta-Pros (anniversary edition) and they sound fun as usual. I thought the sound stage does seem wider than my X3. The highs sound fine, as do the lows, but the mids seem cleaner than the X3. So now I have it hooked to a charger playing all randomly into the Porta-Pros and I plan to let it play for three or four days. Fun.

May 1, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #8,299 of 19,652
Today I had a jog with the X5 in my pocket. It didn't feel heavy or uncomfortable at all, but I'd still like to know if anybody finds a proper X5 armband for sporting activities so we can have even easier access to the buttons while exercising... 

May 1, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #8,302 of 19,652
  With X5 thread growing exponentially, I hope you guys will be able to catch my mini-review of Pelican Storage case for X5 :)

I don't have to tell you how much I love my X5. I stopped listening to music from my laptop or my Note 2 or other mp3 players, and it's all good when I'm using X5 at home. But when I want to take it to work or somewhere else on a go, I get paranoid how to pack it. The good news is that soon FiiO will be releasing a series of new X5 accessories, including different cases, but those are not available yet.

For the last month I have been searching high and low to find a storage/transportation case for X5 and couldn't find anything until I came across a series of Micro Cases from Pelican. I'm sure a lot of your are familiar with Pelican cases, but for those who are don't, check out their website: http://www.pelicancases.com/ - they are worldwide known for tough rugged protector cases and shipping containers. Prior to this find, I wasn't aware they make such small cases, down to Micro series. Though I knew the dimensions of X5 and their Micro Series 1020 model (http://www.pelicancases.com/1020-p/1020.htm) to be a perfect fitment, I also got for review 1010 model (http://www.pelicancases.com/1010-p/1010.htm) just to be sure, and as it turned out it was a bit too small but still great for other gear storage (like headphones).

What sets these Pelican cases apart is their extremely durable construction and IP67 rating. These cases are water resistant, dustproof, crushproof, and come with lifetime guarantee. They have an easy open latch, stainless steel hardware, removable rubber lining (which also works as o-ring), and one way air valve. As a bonus it comes with a carabiner, and there are two slots for lanyard attachment. One thing to keep in mind, X5 will be a little loose inside of 1020 case. This allows to add a few of your favorite IEMs and some cables, thus preventing it from moving around. Otherwise, you can add another piece of foam inside, or place X5 facing down toward the rubber lining to protect the screen and the scrolling wheel. Either way for about $15 (for 1020) and $13 (for 1010), it's a fantastic storage/carry option for X5 and your other small music accessories.

Here are the pictures.

original thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/6825#post_10450248

After doing that little mini-review of Pelican 1020 case for X5, I was suggested to get Pick'n'Pluck kit.  I also got another case with a different color liner, so figured to post a few more pics.  Basically, pick'n'pluck kit is perforated sponge material that you can shape for any opening.  Since I'm using 1020 with X5, I didn't have to pluck anything and instead using it as a spacer to hold X5 firmly inside.  Only $5 : http://www.pelicancases.com/1022-p/1020-400-000.htm

May 1, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #8,303 of 19,652
Thanks for quoting yourself and the 19 pictures - we love that kind of thing in hf.

May 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #8,304 of 19,652
  Thanks for quoting yourself and the 19 pictures - we love that kind of thing in hf.

I know you love it, that's why I quoted it.

... happy now?

May 1, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #8,306 of 19,652
I had that happen to me(skip/lag/distort - I don't know how exactly to explain it) yesterday while listening to somewhat heavily compressed Skrillex - Bangarang. It's only ever happened twice with this specific song and with none other, but it was weird to me to hear it.

It would be very helpful if those of you having lock ups or freezes tell us what file format was playing when it happened.

May 1, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #8,307 of 19,652
Today I picked up the HS6 stacking kit for the X5 and e12. I also grabbed a pair of LCD-XC :eek:

I'll let you guys know how it all sounds in a bit. Thanks Headphone Bar!

May 1, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #8,308 of 19,652

Are we having a bad day? 
frown.gif

May 1, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #8,309 of 19,652
Today I picked up the HS6 stacking kit for the X5 and e12. I also grabbed a pair of LCD-XC
eek.gif

I'll let you guys know how it all sounds in a bit. Thanks Headphone Bar!

It is definitely like a disease, this headphone malarkey :)

I'm waiting for my HS6 that I ordered to come through, however Relic, you can upset me here - the HS6 is the main part (frame) of the 'unit' metal, or plastic?

If plastic, then the prices being charged (by the UK distributor) are insanely high, and even those from Asia are not great, when you factor in shipping time as well as cost...

Fingers crossed for metal :)

May 1, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #8,310 of 19,652
After a few days of playing around, I'm not confident that I want to keep my X5.  It does a lot of things well, but it also has some serious quirks that make it somewhat frustrating to work with for me.  

I'll likely post an FS in the appropriate place, but if someone stranded in limbo waiting for one here wanted to grab mine I'd be willing to let it go.  Just shoot me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back