The Fiio X5 Thread
May 2, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #8,326 of 19,652
100% on the value for performance. Amazing.

May 2, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #8,327 of 19,652
Ok, after switching out the HS6 LO cable with my old cable and listening to the same song (Pink Floyd - Mother) about a dozen times I believe there is a slight increase in clarity with the HS6 cable. The brighter twang of the acoustic guitars in the first half of the song have some extra clarity to them - I think. The cymbals in the second half stand out a bit more. The old cable sounded deeper, fuller, but not quite as clear. The difference to me is subtle, and to be honest I am surprised I found any difference. YMMV.

May 2, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #8,329 of 19,652
This is a known issue, the digital signal processing demand scales proportionally with sample rate on both the decoding side and equalizing side and the demand is too high for both to be implemented above 48kHz. I do not know whether this can be addressed in the future.

I can understand that we at some tome run into hardware/system limitations, but the X5 is designed and markted as a High-Res DAP so equalization of High-Res files should be fixed. If this is impossible, Fiio should at least mention this on their web site, ckaging and user manual so people know what they buy.

My $40 Sansa Clip has much less CPU power and CAN Equalize High-Res files without any problems. I don't think that CPU power of the X5 is the problem and I remain hopefull they this can be fixed in a future FW version.

May 2, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #8,330 of 19,652
May 2, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #8,331 of 19,652
Ok, after switching out the HS6 LO cable with my old cable and listening to the same song (Pink Floyd - Mother) about a dozen times I believe there is a slight increase in clarity with the HS6 cable. The brighter twang of the acoustic guitars in the first half of the song have some extra "sparkle" or "air"? to them I think. The cymbals in the second half stand out a bit more. The old cable sounded deeper, fuller, but not quite as clear. The difference to me is subtle, and to be honest I am surprised I found any difference. YMMV.

Thanks for the comparison! Mine should be here in a week, I will plan on doing some A/B'ing myself.

Nothing quite like spending your weekend comparing the sound quality differences between 1 inch cables :) Sigh...only on head-fi I guess.

May 2, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #8,332 of 19,652
:wink_face:

May 2, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #8,333 of 19,652
Ok, after switching out the HS6 LO cable with my old cable and listening to the same song (Pink Floyd - Mother) about a dozen times I believe there is a slight increase in clarity with the HS6 cable. The brighter twang of the acoustic guitars in the first half of the song have some extra clarity to them - I think. The cymbals in the second half stand out a bit more. The old cable sounded deeper, fuller, but not quite as clear. The difference to me is subtle, and to be honest I am surprised I found any difference. YMMV.

Interesting...

I forget the brand of cable I'm using (not a TWAG or anything, but - not cheap), and considering some people have said the bass is light - I'm finding quite the opposite...

If what you say re the cable in the HS6 box ties in with what I get, will be happy, as this will lessen the bass slightly, and open up the treble a smidge...

I could obviously do the same thing with EQ, but - I'm a bit of a purist hussy, don't really like going down that avenue...

May 2, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #8,334 of 19,652

Thanks for the comparison!  I've been considering getting the HS6 just for the cable.  I've got a FiiO e17, so the stacking frame won't really do me much good, but the price is pretty decent for the cable alone.

May 2, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #8,335 of 19,652
Interesting...

I forget the brand of cable I'm using (not a TWAG or anything, but - not cheap), and considering some people have said the bass is light - I'm finding quite the opposite...

If what you say re the cable in the HS6 box ties in with what I get, will be happy, as this will lessen the bass slightly, and open up the treble a smidge...

I could obviously do the same thing with EQ, but - I'm a bit of a purist hussy, don't really like going down that avenue...

I must re-iterate that I found the difference to be slight, but I did hear it.

The EQ on the X5 is pretty good by the way. I need to use it for my Vmoda M-100 to tame the bass and keep it from overwhelming the mids and drowning out the highs. With EQ I can get the M-100 to sound pretty close to the LCD-2 (of course without that planar magic) and I hear no real degradation in sound. Fiio implemented the EQ well in my opinion.

My preferred method of using the EQ is to bring all the frequencies to the top, which eliminates the 6db reduction for headroom, and then cut/lower the frequencies that are too strong.

May 2, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #8,336 of 19,652

These make a good threesome.

May 2, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #8,337 of 19,652
Hi there,

received my X5 a few days ago and all in all i´m lucky with that.

One question: did anyone here notice any changes in soundsignature after upgrading firmware to 2.0? I switched several times from 1.20 to 2.00 and back an i´m sure that there are some noticeable differences between...

Greetings!

May 2, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #8,338 of 19,652
Quick question from me too - This may have been answered, but - soooo many pages...

Can the USB OTG element of the X5 self power an USB SSD?

Thinking dark evil thoughts about my music collection :wink:

May 2, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #8,339 of 19,652
  Hi there,

received my X5 a few days ago and all in all i´m lucky with that.

One question: did anyone here notice any changes in soundsignature after upgrading firmware to 2.0? I switched several times from 1.20 to 2.00 and back an i´m sure that there are some noticeable differences between...

Greetings!

I tried 2 X5s this week - one with 1.20 and the other with the new 2.0fw. I found it hard to definitively say that there's a sound difference, but I would definitely believe it because I found myself perceiving a smoother sound on version 2.0 with slightly better mids and imaging. It was a quick listen though so I'd hate to make a definitive statement.

I spent some time jumping back and forth between HPO and line out in my car tonight and am still shocked at how much better the line out is (after volume matching because it's much louder than the HPO at volume 100). I love the X5 for use with an amp (which is how I intend to use it so I'm a happy customer overall), but I'm very disappointed with the internal amp and don't understand what went wrong in the design of the X5's amp stage.

Fiio has done an amazing job of late with the E12 and E12DIY so is the X5's internal amp restricted by available space? @Joe Bloggs is there an explanation as to why the X5 HPO sounds veiled and with noticeably less bass than the line out (which is sublime!!)? There's obviously a marvellous signal coming from the DAC stage, but something is limiting the HPO quality. Once again, I'm not having a whinge and love the X5. I'm just trying to understand the design choices that might have been involved to better understand and appreciate the product.

May 2, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #8,340 of 19,652

This is a known issue, the digital signal processing demand scales proportionally with sample rate on both the decoding side and equalizing side and the demand is too high for both to be implemented above 48kHz. I do not know whether this can be addressed in the future.

I can understand that we at some tome run into hardware/system limitations, but the X5 is designed and markted as a High-Res DAP so equalization of High-Res files should be fixed. If this is impossible, Fiio should at least mention this on their web site, ckaging and user manual so people know what they buy.

My $40 Sansa Clip has much less CPU power and CAN Equalize High-Res files without any problems. I don't think that CPU power of the X5 is the problem and I remain hopefull they this can be fixed in a future FW version.

As I understand it, the clip downsamples hi-res. That's why it can equalize it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back