The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 17, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #5,296 of 19,652
Hehehe...a little of both :). My Paypal balance definitely felt that $350 leave...

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #5,297 of 19,652
It seems obvious but the X5 should support UHS-1 cards right?

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #5,300 of 19,652
UHS-1 = class 10... Basically the same thing.
Class 10 is a minimum of 10 MB/s and so is UHS-1.
Not all cards are the same though, some have substantially higher speeds.

I tested the latest Sandisk 128GB microSDXC UHS-1 on my Note 2 and read/write speed was 15mbps/11mbps.

I guess, makes sense to test it with X5 as well :wink:

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #5,301 of 19,652
It seems obvious but the X5 should support UHS-1 cards right?

Just a note that Class 10 and UHS-1 are not the same. UHS-1 must to Class 10 compatible obviously, but Class 10 doesn't need to be UHS-1. That's because UHS-1 can run on double the bus speed (50~104MB/s) of Class 10, but Class 10 only need to run up to 25MB/s. A better way is to say X5 will read and write a Class 10 card, which UHS-1 is also backward compatible with (*Class 10). But I don't think it will read / write at UHS-1 speed. Beside some camcorder and camera, not many gears actually can run on full UHS-1 speed.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #5,302 of 19,652

...... But I don't think it will read / write at UHS-1 speed. Beside some camcorder and camera, not many gears actually can run on full UHS-1 speed.

Today I recieved my 64gb SDXC UHS-I card (Read speed <70MB/s, Write Speed <20MB/s), so I certainly hope it will make a difference. The micro card is already loaded with music, only 2gb left for FiiO X5 software 
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #5,304 of 19,652
Quick question, not sure if it's been asked before. I haven't seen a video where they view music by artist. Are the albums subfolders or are all the songs in one list?

Currently it is only organized by Artist ->Songs unless you search by folder.

However, James at Fiio said that upon international release the firmware will be updated to organize by Artist-> Album -> Song.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #5,306 of 19,652

Just a note that Class 10 and UHS-1 are not the same. UHS-1 must to Class 10 compatible obviously, but Class 10 doesn't need to be UHS-1. That's because UHS-1 can run on double the bus speed (50~104MB/s) of Class 10, but Class 10 only need to run up to 25MB/s. A better way is to say X5 will read and write a Class 10 card, which UHS-1 is also backward compatible with (*Class 10). But I don't think it will read / write at UHS-1 speed. Beside some camcorder and camera, not many gears actually can run on full UHS-1 speed.

Perfect description! Now the UHS-1 cards seem to be supporting the X5 (Class 10 read/write) rather than the X5 supporting UHS-1.
Thanks for detailed explanation as always. :)

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #5,307 of 19,652

Today I recieved my 64gb SDXC UHS-I card (Read speed <70MB/s, Write Speed <20MB/s), so I certainly hope it will make a difference. The micro card is already loaded with music, only 2gb left for FiiO X5 software 
biggrin.gif

It shouldn't really make much of a difference. When X5 is connected to the PC, the limiting factor isn't on the SD rating or the USB transfer speed, but how fast the SoC inside X5 can read and write the SD card. My testing so far seems to indicate that X5 writing speed is about a Class 4 and the reading speed is about Class 7. So regardless of how fast the card goes, it will never read/write faster than the hardware that is doing the reading/writing, as long as the card is already exceeding the speed of the hardware.

But don't feel despair just yet -  as I have explained before, you only need a Class 4 card to support 16/44.1 playback and Class 6 card to support 24/192 playback, and we only care about reading speed (since X5 only needs to read the files for playback), so the internal hardware won't be affecting the playback. The only bad thing is that, transferring files from PC to SD card via X5 will be pretty slow, but you can get a SD card reader for it.

Also note that this is based on the measurement when X5 is connected PC (and acts as a SD card reader). It might be that X5 can read/write faster internally, but it shouldn't make much difference as like I have said, it already is faster than it is needed.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #5,308 of 19,652

It shouldn't really make much of a difference. When X5 is connected to the PC, the limiting factor isn't on the SD rating or the USB transfer speed, but how fast the SoC inside X5 can read and write the SD card. My testing so far seems to indicate that X5 writing speed is about a Class 4 and the reading speed is about Class 7. So regardless of how fast the card goes, it will never read/write faster than the hardware that is doing the reading/writing, as long as the card is already exceeding the speed of the hardware.

But don't feel despair just yet -  as I have explained before, you only need a Class 4 card to support 16/44.1 playback and Class 6 card to support 24/192 playback, and we only care about reading speed (since X5 only needs to read the files for playback), so the internal hardware won't be affecting the playback. The only bad thing is that, transferring files from PC to SD card via X5 will be pretty slow, but you can get a SD card reader for it.

Also note that this is based on the measurement when X5 is connected PC (and acts as a SD card reader). It might be that X5 can read/write faster internally, but it shouldn't make much difference as like I have said, it already is faster than it is needed.

Yep, agree with this

Just to add that the Class of the cards aren't always what you will get. There are times a Class 4 card may be faster than Class 6 just because and etc. 

I look at benchmarks if someone has posted them online, or in Amazon comments before I buy to make sure.

Also, if you are a smart shopper, you will typically find that a Class 10 (sub 32GB) card will be about the same price as a Class 4.

I got a well received G.Skills(most likely they just bought from an OEM) 32GB Class10 SDcard for my X5. Same price as any other 32GB at the time. 

I have two cards in my X5. 32GB Class 10 and 32 GB class 4

Both practically are the same for audio usage purposes. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #5,310 of 19,652
Dear James,

When will X5 launch for indonesia? is it the same as other , April somewhat? My local dealer listed at fiio hasn't got any updated about this babe , i've asked for it since january, past valentine and still heartbreaking :s

Regards,
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back