The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 11, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #6,286 of 17,481
I like the idea behind the x3 as a player and amp/dac which works on my android phone, can this charging issue be fixed in the future as I assume its a software issue, or will this never change.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #6,287 of 17,481
  Hi there,

New member, please be gentle :wink:

I am curious, will an X3 have ample output voltage (if thats the right term) to drive my trs jack input into my car?

X3 is one of the most powerfull portable dap available. even the line out is one of the "louder" (1.7v if memory serves me right).
and if you use the line out you'll even get more battery life and push it to a good 15h+

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #6,288 of 17,481
  X3 is one of the most powerfull portable dap available. even the line out is one of the "louder" (1.7v if memory serves me right).
and if you use the line out you'll even get more battery life and push it to a good 15h+

Thanks for that, good to know!  Its quite difficult to find this info on most devices it seems - I couldn't find it on my notebook, Raga or Nokia.

I also found a quite good link on Youtube detailing the menu system and that looks more than useable enough for me.  I really like/want the buttons (not a touch screen) as I can then just change tracks without looking away from driving (on the notebook, if driving I just leave the cursor over the next track button in MusicBee and can click the trackpad easily enough).  The buttons on the X3 look perfect (as the Raga would be....if it had enough output juice).

If there is any thoughts on the mp3 issue I would be curious if this indeed is fixable via a firmware update - its not vital to me though, just seems/sounds like an odd issue to have on a high end audio device that doesn't play back low end audio encodings well.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #6,289 of 17,481
Just received my unit today and was wondering whether Gain should be set to Low or High if I was to pair it with the Westone 4Rs?

Not sure if the specifications help but here they are:

Sensitivity: 118 dB SPL @ 1Mw
Frequency Response: 10Hz - 18kHz
Impedance: 31 ohms @ 1kHz

On a side note, does Gain or Balance affect SQ, and what exactly do these parameters do? From experimenting, they only seem to be volume regulators.

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #6,292 of 17,481
you've got your usual volume setting, and when you've reached the max but need to be one step louder, you use high gain.

always set low gain unless it is not loud enough. so you really have no use for this with your iems.

balance is to get more volume on one side, if for whatever reason you don't hear as well on both sides, you can adjust the balance to put the voice of your favorite singer at the center of your mental imaging. with a better balance you get a better imaging (if you have no trouble with your hear or your fit, of course it's useless).
but in the end few people have perfect balance.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #6,293 of 17,481
Okay, am I losing my mind? I have transferred the same album two different ways to my X3 but from the same source and they sound different. Distinctly different. How, why, could, would, this be? I transferred an album file( AC/DC-Highway to Hell, accurate rip in WAV imported from EAC) into JRiver Media center 18 onto a 32GB Sandisk Ultra micro SD card, that was inserted directly into my PC with an adaptor and then the exact same file from the exact same source to the exact same micro SD card while that SD card was in the X3 and the X3 was attached to my PC via a high speed USB 2.0 port.  I can easily discern between the two files when switching back and forth during playback on my X3. Any ideas, speculation, why this would be? Do I need to locate my marbles?

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #6,294 of 17,481
If there is any thoughts on the mp3 issue I would be curious if this indeed is fixable via a firmware update - its not vital to me though, just seems/sounds like an odd issue to have on a high end audio device that doesn't play back low end audio encodings well.

JoeBloggs (working for FiiO) said that the firmware engineers will look into it. While I was mentioning that problem here, I was also writing an email to support, they answered this:

Kindly inform you that, we have submited your suggestion to our related engineers to analysis its feasibility. 
Please note that, to add or modify the firmware needs to take into account many considerations, such as the feasibility, the whole market demand, etc. 
We will try our best to satisfy the customers' needs, but we can't insure that every need will surely be realized. Any understanding will be appreciated!

Which means that it probably costs money to fix it and if nobody complains they won´t fix it.

Fixing it should be possible (IMO easily) but if they´ll do it... I don´t know.

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #6,295 of 17,481
I'm getting mixed reports on whether the a 64gb sd card will work. People on the thread say they work work but from a couple reviews I read they couldn't get it to work even after formatting to fat32. If a 64gb card doesn't work the only other option I have is to get an ipod classic..

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #6,296 of 17,481
I'm getting mixed reports on whether the a 64gb sd card will work. People on the thread say they work work but from a couple reviews I read they couldn't get it to work even after formatting to fat32. If a 64gb card doesn't work the only other option I have is to get an ipod classic..

Upgrade the x3 to fw2.05 and format the card using the x3 itself and it's just about guaranteed to work 
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 12, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #6,297 of 17,481
Good to know! This is on my to buy list!

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #6,298 of 17,481

JoeBloggs (working for FiiO) said that the firmware engineers will look into it. While I was mentioning that problem here, I was also writing an email to support, they answered this:

Which means that it probably costs money to fix it and if nobody complains they won´t fix it.

Fixing it should be possible (IMO easily) but if they´ll do it... I don´t know.

The catch for me isn't that I have a lot of mp3 music, its that what I do have in mp3 format is that way because I had to take it that way - ie Bellflower is a sountrack and its only available on vinyl or an mp3 album format.  So, no cd to rip from means I have to take mp3s.  That means any mp3s I have are for things I would have really wanted in order to deal with getting stuck with an mp3.

My hunch is, with the target market for the high end player, the company doesn't have a lot of people that are worried about mp3 playback at all (outside of the ones you got stuck with only available in mp3 format as mentioned above).

Things that make you go 'hmmmm' as they say.  I wonder how 'bad' mp3s sound - fortunately I can check here locally as I believe they are in stock in a shop.  I will also consider the dx50 although it sounds like it has more than its share of issues as well.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #6,299 of 17,481
good mp3 rips will sound about the same as flac with normal to medium headphones. probably high-end headphones and good hearing only will detect mp3 flaws due to lossy compression.
i tried few times to spot wav or flac vs mp3 differences and on a blind test using a Sony X1050 i thought an mp3 was in fact a wav. Headphones were Grado SR60.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #6,300 of 17,481
Good to know LightBlue 77

I have some Grado sr80s, nothing special and I believe are quite easy to drive (the Raga could drive them).  Oh, of course, funnily enough, the Raga died yesterday!  Doh.

Its more for in the vehicle I am concerned - I don't want little clicks/pops when I go to next track (Nokia 920).  I want some tracks to play seamlessly (gapless?) so that when track 1 and 2 are supposed to blend there isn't a break.  After that, buttons that are easy to use without looking.  Quickly comes down to x3 and dx100 it seems.  I kinda like the touchscreen for some things that I think might be slow on the x3 as I gather the x3 you have to go down one artist at a time so people in the middle are a pain to get to.

Hopefully I can see both in the flesh this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back