The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 5, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #17,476 of 17,481
No idea on Peti's problem.
But I do have a question. Through the years everyone has stated preferences on firmware, sound quality tweaks, etc. But I've always wondered what exactly they're listening to. Which format do you listen to? What source? Downloaded MP3? AAC from iTunes? AAC ripped from CD? FLAC ripped from CD? FLAC or ALAC from vinyl rips? WAV or AIFF?
Thank you tons.
Almost always FLAC - either CD rip or digital download. The exception, is I stuffed the internal memory with m4a. I use the internal memory for what I consider my "essential" music (desert island discs, you get the idea) since there's only 8gb I'll make the sacrifice on SQ in exchange for getting as much music as possible
The bad thing with m4a is Fiio never got the firmware fixed for reading the tags properly, so genres are a mess. Since m4a is improved over mp3 (more efficient - better sound at lower bitrates), I'll deal with it

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #17,478 of 17,481
Fairly recently, I've started using a windows 11 laptop but can't get the X3 to function as a DAC. This is why I hate Windows as it needs drivers that it states are too old. On Ubuntu that I use with my pain PC, that knows it is a DAC right away and just works. The same story with most android devices too. Is there anything I can do to get it working with windows?

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #17,479 of 17,481
Fairly recently, I've started using a windows 11 laptop but can't get the X3 to function as a DAC. This is why I hate Windows as it needs drivers that it states are too old. On Ubuntu that I use with my pain PC, that knows it is a DAC right away and just works. The same story with most android devices too. Is there anything I can do to get it working with windows?
Refusing to install, or just not working? Just another reason I'll stick with 10 LTSC

If it's not installing, you might need to boot into that "disable driver enforcement" mode https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...river-signature-enforcement-windows-10-a.html
This is Win 10 instructions, but I think it'll work for 11 too. That site is pretty helpful, so I'd totally recommend getting an account and asking there if you're still having issues

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #17,480 of 17,481
sorry for the late reply.

At the moment after a 2nd attempt, I just can't get my laptop to even detect that it is plugged in either with the original or 2nd gen X3. it just goes to the DAC screen for afew seconds then back to the menu. The PC just doesn't detect it is there. When I first attempted with fiio's latest drivers, it did state that they were no longer supported from memery.

I don't know if disabling the driver enforcement would restrict the advantage for other devices that benefit from drivers though. I think I will just make do with my FiiO A3 as a headfphone amplifier for my laptop. Just seems a shame that it is so hard to use reliable old hardware just because windows no longer supporting it.

I've tried unilstalling and reinstalling the driver software a few times and still had no success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back