The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2,988 of 17,481
Thanks! I guess that is nothing special.

@everyone

How is the X3 booted up? Does it stay "always on" like a Sony Walkman for a day then powers down completely?

How is the X3 compared to a Sony Walkman? I have the S618 (an old one!)

You have options for always on, or you can tell it to turn off in set amount of time. I have mine auto turn off after 30s or something.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #2,989 of 17,481
Quote:
For FLAC files, mine goes for 4-5 hrs i think....

Can anybody else speak to this? If 4-5 hours is accurate, I won't be buying one - having to charge on a daily basis would be a royal PITA.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #2,990 of 17,481
Can anybody else speak to this? If 4-5 hours is accurate, I won't be buying one - having to charge on a daily basis would be a royal PITA.

I use a combo of MP3's and Lossless, I still get around 10 hours.

Is battery life and charging it your only problems? In this age, this is what we have going for us. If a device wants to pack all these features in with high power output, it isn't going to have 100 hour battery life that a no display unit with 15mW@32 ohms output one would be looking for.

Charge it with your phone. I charge my phone every night. I plug the X3 in to charge every other day.

Because I mean filling up the car with gas is a PITA as well right? You have to get out of the car and actually use the pump.

It's 3 seconds to plug the X3 into it every single night.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #2,992 of 17,481
Ordered. Hope it works well with the files on my iMac iTunes.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #2,993 of 17,481
Quote:
I use a combo of MP3's and Lossless, I still get around 10 hours.

Is battery life and charging it your only problems? In this age, this is what we have going for us. If a device wants to pack all these features in with high power output, it isn't going to have 100 hour battery life that a no display unit with 15mW@32 ohms output one would be looking for.

Charge it with your phone. I charge my phone every night. I plug the X3 in to charge every other day.

Because I mean filling up the car with gas is a PITA as well right? You have to get out of the car and actually use the pump.

It's 3 seconds to plug the X3 into it every single night.

Nobody is asking for 100 hours. James said 10-12 with possible improvements from firmware updates. 4-5 isn't convenient if you plan to use it longer than that, which I often do. My biggest gripe with the ipod 5.5 was the feeling of being tethered to a power source; I can live with 10-12, but 4-5 is pretty weak by any standard.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #2,994 of 17,481
Nobody is asking for 100 hours. James said 10-12 with possible improvements from firmware updates. 4-5 isn't convenient if you plan to use it longer than that, which I often do. My biggest gripe with the ipod 5.5 was the feeling of being tethered to a power source; I can live with 10-12, but 4-5 is pretty weak by any standard.
I agree, 4-5 is in the range of being not too good for DAP's.

Anyway, I don't use full FLAC's but I haven't had any problems with battery life. I still get around 10. Considering that nobody else that bought the X3 and talked about it on this thread have mentioned anything about the battery also makes me wonder if patrik the starfish timed his usage, if it was actually charged to full, and how he was using it throughout the day driving what.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2,995 of 17,481
Quote:

I haven't used all FLAC (or full lossless) but 4~5 hours doesn't seem normal. I'll at least expect easily 8+ hour even with all lossless playback on fairly high volume.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #2,996 of 17,481
Quote:
I agree, 4-5 is in the range of being not too good for DAP's.

Anyway, I don't use full FLAC's but I haven't had any problems with battery life. I still get around 10. Considering that nobody else that bought the X3 and talked about it on this thread have mentioned anything about the battery also makes me wonder if patrik the starfish timed his usage, if it was actually charged to full, and how he was using it throughout the day driving what.

That's why I was hoping for some other reports from users - 1 person's experience is hardly enough to go on. Someday, a kick-ass player like the X3 will get 100 hours....I'd venture to guess it will be possible in another decade or so.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #2,997 of 17,481
Quote:
 Someday, a kick-ass player like the X3 will get 100 hours....I'd venture to guess it will be possible in another decade or so.

Our Cowon players certainly have great battery life, but they can't drive many of the headphones that the X3 could drive.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2,998 of 17,481
i didn't time it precisely, but roughly i too get around 4-5 hours-ish using full flacs... i don't have compressed files in my X3

it'll be nice if the next firmware update James could add in a time usage per battery cycle in the system settings for us to see..

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #2,999 of 17,481
Quote:

Actually I do own a C3 now.

Functionality wise, I think X3 easily wins out. But purely on SQ, the two are close. X3 has much more power in stock configuration and will drive most headphones very well. In contrast, C3 is really clean and transparent but the overall dynamic suffers from the lacking of power. My X3 has been mod'ed so as far as clarity goes, it can easily match / surpass C3, and still provide better power. With the stock AD8397, I think those who prefer clarity over dynamic might prefer C3. I know a lot of C3 user like the combo with C&C BH - nothing wrong in sound except BH is underpowered a bit so it really isn't my top choice (given power is what lacking on C3 in the first place). I would have preferred fred_fred_2004 3 Channels amp running on 18V. Even cmoyBB on 18V with AD8620 sounds tighter to me. With a good amp, C3 will be technically a better match to X3.

If just focusing on sound stage and vocal/instrument separation, which is more superior: X5 or C3?

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #3,000 of 17,481
Quote:
If just focusing on sound stage and vocal/instrument separation, which is more superior: X5 or C3?

For me, X3 is ahead for soundstage and separation... For clean, clarity and details C3 is ahead but not by very far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back