The discovery thread!
Jul 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #11,731 of 100,596
Quote:
No, Got the Senn double flange, and the MEElectronic double flange, had read about both here, neither work in my ears, I'll have to check out the VSonic (I have some Vsonic iems, but my left over tip collection is an incredible mess lol

If you can't find them, you could get the vsd1's for the tips. And you'll end up with an excellent set of iems to boot!

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #11,732 of 100,596
Found this primer on Comply tips-generally haven't liked them, but may have been using them incorrectly (see video), preliminary trials are promising, have to go through my stock and find the ones that are best, but I did like them on quick listen.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comply-foam-tips-and-effects-tip-selection

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #11,733 of 100,596
Quote:
Quote:
No, Got the Senn double flange, and the MEElectronic double flange, had read about both here, neither work in my ears, I'll have to check out the VSonic (I have some Vsonic iems, but my left over tip collection is an incredible mess lol

If you can't find them, you could get the vsd1's for the tips. And you'll end up with an excellent set of iems to boot!

Ahh...an excuse to buy new headphones!

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #11,734 of 100,596
Quote:
Found this primer on Comply tips-generally haven't liked them, but may have been using them incorrectly (see video), preliminary trials are promising, have to go through my stock and find the ones that are best, but I did like them on quick listen.

I couldn't find the video via that link, but I did find it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Zc5meSooI

Excellent find! I did not know that. I have a bag of some comply like tips that I purchased from somewhere for some reason (and which I have never used), so I'm going to give them a try on various iems now, using that method for insertion. Thanks!

Jul 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #11,736 of 100,596
Quote:

I think I understand, but the WS99 is really growing on me with burn-in.

The WS99 sounded amazing straight outta the box for me, burn in might have improved their sound but i haven't really noticed. haha

Glad you're enjoying them, you wanna sell me you 1Ks for cheap then since they are so neglected these days due to your H-200s and REs.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Wayne has too much money lmao

Masa' WAYNE was born into wealth and privilege. I is merely lowly Alfred....
frown.gif

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #11,738 of 100,596
Quote:
More bass quantity and quality wise, more treble(which is sometime a bit too hot) better mid & vocal, bigger sound stage and better instrument separation.

I really think that a lot of burn in (ie 300-400 hours) pretty much helps to eradicate that. I noticed it at first also, but now I don't. Once that's eradicated, then they are quite impressive.

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #11,740 of 100,596
I agree with Wayne. There is no treble harshness what so ever on my pair.. Mines got over 1K hours though. I would keep them on the burn. I think the treble is the last part to tame. They literally get better and better with more use.

Actually in a bit of a surprise. If you guys read Jokers take on the old CKM99..He and many headfiers gave up on them as they tend to have some sharp treble representing the older AT house sound.. My pair is void of any harsh treble.. I did beat the living poo out of them whenever I got the chance to do so but they sound much better than the way Joker describes them back in the day..I think he would be surprised if he heard my pair of FX40s too..

Burn in is for real. Either you do it or you don't and sometimes 200 hours is not enough but the way I see it. You have nothing to loose in doing it. Burn them phones..

It has been a while but I ended up hooking up my fire Phoenix 02 using my optical cable..I have to say for the money I spent on that unit it clearly hangs with both my Audinst M2 and my Meridian Explorer.  In fact it is my warmest sounding dac. I didn't realize the overall tone of the unit is warmer than my other units...I can imagine the X3 sounding a bit similar.. Can't wait to get my grimy paws on that player.

Oo speaking of dacs.. You guys see the newest Ele dac? This is a completely new version using a Cirus Logic chip. Take a look.
I bet this gives them hifimediy sabre dacs some serious competition. http://www.ebay.com/itm/24bit-192KHZ-DAC-USB-sound-card-USB-Input-Optical-fiber-coaxial-output-ELE-ELD07-/231006793823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c913f05f

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #11,741 of 100,596
Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't find the video via that link, but I did find it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Zc5meSooI

Excellent find! I did not know that. I have a bag of some comply like tips that I purchased from somewhere for some reason (and which I have never used), so I'm going to give them a try on various iems now, using that method for insertion. Thanks!

I think these may do it-have some to play with, comfortable, sound great. Don't think I have exactly the size I need, still get some changes when I hold the 1Ks, will order some more (drives me a bit nuts that Comply had 25% off until July 3, didn't think I liked them then. Oh well, bite the bullet, small potatoes in the headphone scheme of things)

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #11,742 of 100,596
Quote:
I think these may do it-have some to play with, comfortable, sound great. Don't think I have exactly the size I need, still get some changes when I hold the 1Ks, will order some more (drives me a bit nuts that Comply had 25% off until July 3, didn't think I liked them then. Oh well, bite the bullet, small potatoes in the headphone scheme of things)

That's great! I'm pretty in love with the vsonic double flanges on the 1K's, so it will take a bit of effort for me to try something else. But I did try some ebay foamies on the H-200's (using the newly discovered proper method of insertion of course!) and they sounded great. But then I dug out the large mh1c tips and tried them on the H-200's, and it's magic. But I digress!

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #11,743 of 100,596
Quote:
Oo speaking of dacs.. You guys see the newest Ele dac? This is a completely new version using a Cirus Logic chip. Take a look.
I bet this gives them hifimediy sabre dacs some serious competition. http://www.ebay.com/itm/24bit-192KHZ-DAC-USB-sound-card-USB-Input-Optical-fiber-coaxial-output-ELE-ELD07-/231006793823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c913f05f

HECK YES!
FR is 20-20k but specs are always off as we all know from IEM listening :)
Thanks for the link OPTICAL IN ! Yay. I use that to stop any electrical signal/noise from the comp to the dac. Also since the stereo is on a different set of wall plugs stops potential ground loop issues if any.
Was also eyeing the non oversampling x4 Philips-chipped MUSE units

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #11,745 of 100,596
as in old and dusty
bigsmile_face.gif
? Or are you saying you have to do that every time you need to dig up the K-rap files off your Commodore Vic-20?
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back