The discovery thread!
Jun 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #10,531 of 100,525
Got the CKN70s yesterday, quick initial impression with the MHC1 tips is that it sounds fairly close to my fave full size cans, the DT880s. They have a similar speed. DT880s has the better bass, sub bass is Deeper and fuller sounding. CKN70s has more forward mids but except for positioning, it's similar in quality. 880s has the better highs. It's detailed and sparkly but yet smooth. CKN70's highs can sound artificial and sibilant. Soundstage is similar maybe slightly bigger on the CKN70s. It's definitely more accurate in positioning. I get what DavidMahler means now when he said that the highs on the 880s seemed slightly veiled now. 880's highs are very detailed but it somehow lacks positioning cues so you have a general area/direction but you can't quite place where they're standing. You can definitely do that with the CKN70s. My main gripe is the artificial sounding treble but other than that, I'm liking them a lot.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #10,532 of 100,525
Quote:
I might be trippin' BUT.....

You know what i just realized!!! These Corecools with the vent filter is THE OPEN BACK VERSION OF THE FXZ200s!!!........

There is so much more air/ black space and instrument separation/soundstage to them BUT yet IT IS STILL CRAZY BASSY LIKE THE FXZ200!!!

Dat alberto dood, you have found your holy grail!!! LMAO.

You know what they remind me of as well??? Those Somic MH463s, but with better bass and treble. That was what those cheapo Somics lacked but it is all here in these corecools!!!

These are much more refined sounding when you use a filter with holes allowing some air in. So in essence they are semi-open with my mod. Without the filter, the mid bass is overwhelming and too boomy which ruins the overall bass quality/ sound. The filter not only tightens/ improves the overall bass quantity/ quality it also makes the mids/ highs more forward as the result of the better bass control.

sound nice dude :D, but then i take they are not on the same level as the bassos right ?

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #10,533 of 100,525
Quote:
So with the SHE9700s, is there any siblance/harshness? My main problem with the FX40s is the harsh highs, and this is why I wanted a new pair. By the way, does this seem like a good dealer?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-SHE9700-In-Ear-Headphones-Black-with-Philips-Carrying-Case-/150798798589?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item231c4f0efd

They extend pretty far, much more so than the cr150. more than the mh1c (extends but is very smooth), even the eph100 (but their treble is very unique), and for the most part not sibilant.
I cant recommend them enough.
Go for it

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #10,534 of 100,525
Quote:
I recieved my CKS77X today, and initial impressions are that these are leaps and bounds better than the old version. Bass is more defined, with better control, mids and treble are much clearer. Straight out of the box they sounded a bit muddy, but with a few hours burn-in they started to open up a bit. I feel like these are definitely gonna need a huge burn-in, but every time I give them a listen they are sounding nicer and nicer. I think they are the perfect sidegrade to the CKN70. They are equally good but excel in different genres. AT has definitely done it again.

Great to hear that the new 77X is that good, hope i get to hear them as well. :)

Quote:
So with the SHE9700s, is there any siblance/harshness? My main problem with the FX40s is the harsh highs, and this is why I wanted a new pair. By the way, does this seem like a good dealer?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-SHE9700-In-Ear-Headphones-Black-with-Philips-Carrying-Case-/150798798589?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item231c4f0efd

Hope they are not bright/harsh/nor sibilant whatsoever. Extension is quite nice but not the most sparkly. For $20 they are a pretty good deal. But they are J-cord, just a heads-up.

Quote:
Got the CKN70s yesterday, quick initial impression with the MHC1 tips is that it sounds fairly close to my fave full size cans, the DT880s. They have a similar speed. DT880s has the better bass, sub bass is Deeper and fuller sounding. CKN70s has more forward mids but except for positioning, it's similar in quality. 880s has the better highs. It's detailed and sparkly but yet smooth. CKN70's highs can sound artificial and sibilant. Soundstage is similar maybe slightly bigger on the CKN70s. It's definitely more accurate in positioning. I get what DavidMahler means now when he said that the highs on the 880s seemed slightly veiled now. 880's highs are very detailed but it somehow lacks positioning cues so you have a general area/direction but you can't quite place where they're standing. You can definitely do that with the CKN70s. My main gripe is the artificial sounding treble but other than that, I'm liking them a lot.

NICE NICE, glad you're enjoying them.  WoW never thought these CKN70s can sound similar to some beyers and open backs at that. LoL These CKN70s has a bigger then those open DT880s!!!?
blink.gif

Quote:
sound nice dude :D, but then i take they are not on the same level as the bassos right ?

Never heard the bassos, but i have a feeling they might be pretty different sounding. Will see, since i might get to audition the bassos soon....

Quote:
They extend pretty far, much more so than the cr150. more than the mh1c (extends but is very smooth), even the eph100 (but their treble is very unique), and for the most part not sibilant.
I cant recommend them enough.
Go for it

+1

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #10,535 of 100,525
NICE NICE, glad you're enjoying them.  WoW never thought these CKN70s can sound similar to some beyers and open backs at that. LoL These CKN70s has a bigger then those open DT880s!!!? :blink:

Yeah, I think it's the treble that's giving it that impression. It sounds really wide and airy. I think that whatever's veiling the highs is also holding back the soundstage as well on the 880s because on the 990s, they're wide and airy like that ckn70s but it's reaaally bright and sibilant.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #10,536 of 100,525
Quote:
Yeah, I think it's the treble that's giving it that impression. It sounds really wide and airy. I think that whatever's veiling the highs is also holding back the soundstage as well on the 880s because on the 990s, they're wide and airy like that ckn70s but it's reaaally bright and sibilant.

haha, forgot to put soundstage in my previous sentence haha, but you knewhatimeng.
wink_face.gif
Hmmm interesting indeed.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #10,537 of 100,525
Quote:

Those are the main problems I have with the CKN70 and stock tips.  The Philips SHE3590 tips can't come soon enough!

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #10,538 of 100,525
Those are the main problems I have with the CKN70 and stock tips.  The Philips SHE3590 tips can't come soon enough!

It's really bad and apparent on my galaxy s3 but not so through my desktop amps, they're set up for a warmer sound signature, tight & thick bass, warm mids, and slightly rolled off treble. Pairs great. :dt880smile: :etysmile:

E: Also, I find that listening at a lower volume on my s3 cures sibilance and some of the artificial-ness of the highs.

haha, forgot to put soundstage in my previous sentence haha, but you knewhatimeng. :wink_face: Hmmm interesting indeed.

I understand Troll-nese. :D

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #10,539 of 100,525
Quote:
I am torn between CKS1000 and WS99 as they are both so cheap on amazon japan. What's the main difference in their bass? Will the WS99 sound good from a Meridian Explorer?

It sounds excellent with the ME. The synergy is off the hook.
Quote:

No sibilance..

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #10,540 of 100,525
Quote:

I'd be hesitant to purchase from that dealer because of these notes: "Ships in plain plastic bag (non retail box)" "PLEASE NOTE: item may have inevitable minor cosmetic blemishes that were caused in transit & storage"

I would have more peace of mind ordering it unopened with retail packaging from this guy for $8 more. (EDIT: Read next post) Or if you are rich and feeling very adventurous, I found it for $516.37 + $13.75 shipping here.

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #10,541 of 100,525
Quote:

I'd be hesitant to purchase from that dealer because of these notes: "Ships in plain plastic bag (non retail box)" "PLEASE NOTE: item may have inevitable minor cosmetic blemishes that were caused in transit & storage"

I would have more peace of mind ordering it unopened with retail packaging from this guy for $8 more. Or if you are rich and feeling very adventurous, I found it for $516.37 + $13.75 shipping here.

LoL, why ebay and not amazon??? They have sellers in the states selling these for $21 brand new, and new damaged box one for $15.... much better than ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Precise-Directional-Sound-Headphones/dp/B000U7GDMC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370637692&sr=1-1&keywords=PHILIPS+SHE9700

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000U7GDMC/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished&qid=1370637692&sr=1-1

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #10,542 of 100,525
Quote:
LoL, why ebay and not amazon??? They have sellers in the states selling these for $21 brand new, and new damaged box one for $15.... much better than ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Precise-Directional-Sound-Headphones/dp/B000U7GDMC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370637692&sr=1-1&keywords=PHILIPS+SHE9700

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000U7GDMC/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished&qid=1370637692&sr=1-1

Oh, good call. The cheapest one on Amazon is even the same seller as the eBay listing (HDEtron).
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #10,544 of 100,525
Regarding the FX3X's...

Quote:
They are great and the build quality is admirable. From what I recall, I really love the bass on those, very tight! BUT I can't listen to it for longer sessions. Quite fatiguing after an hour or two. That's why I don't think it comes close to the DX210. I can listen to them Bassos for hours and hours...

Yup. Tried them at the gym again, and at first the bass was working for me and was helping to drown out the gym noise. But after a while my ears were starting to suffer. I switched back to the DX210`s, and they sounded decidably "bass light" after the fx3x's lol! But my ears once again got accustomed their awesomeness :)

I then decided to try out my 'ol toilet bowl ceramics in the gym, the ie-500's...

I didn't think they would be very good in the gym because I've read that they don't isolate very well. But they seem to isolate as well as the dx210's anyway. They have a very nice solid bass, sweet mids and a nice (if not fully extended/sparkly) treble. Overall they have a sound signature that is really enjoyable and that I really like - every time I put them in, they make me happy!

So to all of you toilet bowl naysayers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back