The discovery thread!
May 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #9,616 of 100,324
A/Bing the CLR100 and COR150... I'm pretty sure they're the same driver.  The different housing with additional venting gives the COR a massive bass boost, but otherwise they have just about identical frequency response to my ears.  I use nearly the exact same parametric EQ settings to get them to sound flat to me (with the exception of the COR's extra bass).  I think any discrepancies in the exact frequencies of the upper mid/treble peaks is due to different insertion depth from different fit of the two housings.  Like I said, they're nearly identical in any case, and I cut the peaks by the same amount to get the same result.  However, I think the COR is more reverbrant and smeared, especially in the bass, and this gives it a narrower soundstage to my ears.  This combined with the facts that the CLR has better driver matching and easier/more comfortable fit for my ears, and if I twist them just right after insertion, they have nearly as much bass as (but much tighter than) the COR, makes them the clear winners to me.  They just sound much more refined and cleaner.  They're not TOO far behind my CKN70s in technical ability, but better driver matching in the 70s and their unbelievably quick laser precision across the entire frequency spectrum means they're in no danger of being replaced by the CLR100.  The COR150 might be kind of redundant, though, and I might end up getting rid of them.

EDIT: The soundstage on the CKN70 is so much bigger and more immersive it's ridiculous.  These are clearly in another league versus the CLR100.  Even so, the CLR punches far above its weight, and I'd say it's much more capable than the similarly priced Philips SHE3590.  The Philips *might* sound better without EQ, but its treble is very peaky, so it sounds oddly comb-filtered, and its soundstage is quite narrow.

May 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #9,617 of 100,324
Quote:
Lol. So I plugged in my CKN50. I was listening to the left side of the CKN50 and the right side of the CLR100.

They sound like one earphone.. I think the CLR100 is using the same driver as the CKN50..They sound too identical. The CKN50 longer housing gives them a bit wider sense of stage but otherwise unless your listening for it. Identical. 

Ds man i think you are losing it.
tongue.gif

Quote:

same thing could be said for the headphone stand they're on

haha i am using my crappy @ss acer ferrari monitor for the same purpose. That stupid piece of junk crapped out on me after a year, thank god i got them cheap or else i would have been pissed. But it sure is pretty to look at though..............

Quote:
The H200 is such a beautiful sounding hybrid that has opened up real nicely!!

MO' BASS or NO DICE!!! Those thangs might be too neutral for my taste.

Quote:
A/Bing the CLR100 and COR150... I'm pretty sure they're the same driver.  The different housing with additional venting gives the COR a massive bass boost, but otherwise they have just about identical frequency response to my ears.  I use nearly the exact same parametric EQ settings to get them to sound flat to me (with the exception of the COR's extra bass).  I think any discrepancies in the exact frequencies of the upper mid/treble peaks is due to different insertion depth from different fit of the two housings.  Like I said, they're nearly identical in any case, and I cut the peaks by the same amount to get the same result.  However, I think the COR is more reverbrant and smeared, especially in the bass, and this gives it a narrower soundstage to my ears.  This combined with the facts that the CLR has better driver matching and easier/more comfortable fit for my ears, and if I twist them just right after insertion, they have nearly as much bass as (but much tighter than) the COR, makes them the clear winners to me.  They just sound much more refined and cleaner.  They're not TOO far behind my CKN70s in technical ability, but better driver matching in the 70s and their unbelievably quick laser precision across the entire frequency spectrum means they're in no danger of being replaced by the CLR100.  The COR150 might be kind of redundant, though, and I might end up getting rid of them.

EDIT: The soundstage on the CKN70 is so much bigger and more immersive it's ridiculous.  These are clearly in another league versus the CLR100.  Even so, the CLR punches far above its weight, and I'd say it's much more capable than the similarly priced Philips SHE3590.  The Philips *might* sound better without EQ, but its treble is very peaky, so it sounds oddly comb-filtered, and its soundstage is quite narrow.

^ you hear this Teke, since you got those cheapo ATHs coming your way, how you gonna really know how compete against those CKN70s without owning them meng. C'mon lets make a deal you know you wanna.
ksc75smile.gif

May 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #9,618 of 100,324
Quote:
Ds man i think you are losing it.
tongue.gif

haha i am using my crappy @ss acer ferrari monitor for the same purpose. That stupid piece of junk crapped out on me after a year, thank god i got them cheap or else i would have been pissed. But it sure is pretty to look at though..............

MO' BASS or NO DICE!!! Those thangs might be too neutral for my taste.

^ you hear this Teke, since you got those cheapo ATHs coming your way, how you gonna really know how compete against those CKN70s without owning them meng. C'mon lets make a deal you know you wanna.
ksc75smile.gif

yeah i figured youd say that.... Jant is selling his with some ecci's for a good price.

oh and BTW... it happened.... it wasn't the mdr's or UE but I got some V-Moda M80's.  Not bad eh? lol

My monitor works; just too small....24" is sooo 2006.

But yeah I will probably put the es7's in the fire sale... ill pm before i post it up so you have first dibs

May 11, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #9,619 of 100,324
Quote:

yeah i figured youd say that.... Jant is selling his with some ecci's for a good price.

oh and BTW... it happened.... it wasn't the mdr's or UE but I got some V-Moda M80's.  Not bad eh? lol

My monitor works; just too small....24" is sooo 2006.

But yeah I will probably put the es7's in the fire sale... ill pm before i post it up so you have first dibs

LMAO i was probably eyeing those same M80s as you. But the dood wasn't interested in my stuff. So was it your WS55s for the M80s, damn that is a sweet trade if is was. You lucky @ss mofo.
tongue.gif

haha, my damn acer is 20" meng, don't know whatcha talking 'bout. soooo 1999.

Cools we might work something out then. C'mon meng you need those CKN70s in yo' life.
biggrin.gif
Yeppp if my FXZ200s weren't so awesomesauce jants' triple combo is pretty tempting. C'mon WAYNE get on it!!!

Oh N/M those XBA40s are gone. :  (

May 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #9,620 of 100,324
Quote:
LMAO i was probably eyeing those same M80s as you. But the dood wasn't interested in my stuff. So was it your WS55s for the M80s, damn that is a sweet trade if is was. You lucky @ss mofo.
tongue.gif

haha, my damn acer is 20" meng, don't know whatcha talking 'bout. soooo 1999.

Cools we might work something out then. C'mon meng you need those CKN70s in yo' life.
biggrin.gif
Yeppp if my FXZ200s weren't so awesomesauce jants' triple combo is pretty tempting. C'mon WAYNE get on it!!!

yeah...im not looking to get into the 100+ dollar universals unless its via trades.

maybe trade the m80's for some Bass editions but i doubt i will.

these univerals im trying are just to pass time until sz2k's and heir 4.a.  

May 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #9,621 of 100,324
Quote:

yeah...im not looking to get into the 100+ dollar universals unless its via trades.

maybe trade the m80's for some Bass editions but i doubt i will.

these univerals im trying are just to pass time until sz2k's and heir 4.a.  

^ ehhh i thought you don't like no BASS in your headphones. Those SZ2Ks are gonna probably have AMAZING sub bass if these FXZ200s are any indication of how they might sound. The tech used is pretty similar.

You talking about the gr07 BEs, i have auditioned the m80s and like i said before, my cheapo JVC S500s can more than hang with them. So the gr07 BEs is for sure a step up in sound despite it being an iem.

Jants has a really great deal here, get it while you still can!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662665/audio-technica-and-ecci-earphones

May 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #9,622 of 100,324
^ ehhh i thought you don't like no BASS in your headphones. Those SZ2Ks are gonna probably have AMAZING sub bass if these FXZ200s are any indication of how they might sound. The tech used is pretty similar.

You talking about the gr07 BEs, i have auditioned the m80s and like i said before, my cheapo JVC S500s can more than hang with them. So the gr07 BEs is for sure a step up in sound despite it being an iem.

I just want a top tierish all arounder. I have the gr06 which is a pretty decent all arounder.

Maybe go old school and get the mtpcs.

May 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #9,624 of 100,324
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Triple combo? Huh? What?

Quote:

Ah, that triple (now double) combo! Yes, I was interested in the xba40's at one time. But that was BC... as in Before Cks1000
smile.gif

Thanks for thinking of me though!

May 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #9,626 of 100,324
Quote:
Hmm, I'm thinking of selling my S500's + ATH pleathers and probably with cheap FX101's thrown in. Wanna add these funds towards getting something like the CKS1000, GR07 BE or FXZ200. I think the S500's are redundant now for me as I prefer my CKN70's over them.

Headphones and iems are so different that I can't see how one would make the other redundant. But, if you simply are using the CKN70's the majority of the time and are hardly ever using the S500's (and you don't think that you will), then I can understand you not wanting to keep them. And I can also understand the desire to sell something to fund something new - been there, done that! Fwiw, one reason that I am finally so happy is because with the ath trifecta that I have going on, each item sounds awesome yet sufficiently different! Each one can handle anything with aplomb, yet I love the AD900X's for rock, pop etc as well as for tv/movies, I love the WS99's for anything bass oriented (ie trance), and I love the CKS1000's for pretty much everything (but, having something jammed into my ears for too long simply starts driving me batty). So I love being able to switch between the three depending on my mood or depending on what I'm listening too. And the trifecta have definitely staunched my upgrade-itis quite a bit (thank goodness)! Sorry for the ramble
smile.gif

May 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #9,627 of 100,324
Quote:

Triple combo? Huh? What?

Ah, that triple (now double) combo! Yes, I was interested in the xba40's at one time. But that was BC... as in Before Cks1000
smile.gif

Thanks for thinking of me though!

^ But i am always thinking of you though WAYNE.
redface.gif

Quote:
Hmm, I'm thinking of selling my S500's + ATH pleathers and probably with cheap FX101's thrown in. Wanna add these funds towards getting something like the CKS1000, GR07 BE or FXZ200. I think the S500's are redundant now for me as I prefer my CKN70's over them.

haha i am like the opposite of you, my S500s makes my CKN70s a bit redundant.

May 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #9,628 of 100,324
Quote:
^ But i am always thinking of you though WAYNE.
redface.gif

haha i am like the opposite of you, my S500s makes my CKN70s a bit redundant.

Makes sense considering you have the fxz200's. Since you like the s500's so much, it makes me wonder if you think they make your ws99's redundant
rolleyes.gif

May 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #9,630 of 100,324
Quote:

Makes sense considering you have the fxz200's. Since you like the s500's so much, it makes me wonder if you think they make your ws99's redundant
rolleyes.gif

^ you know what i had those exact thoughts for some time but when i ampped those WS99s and bass boost them on my e17 lordy lord!!!
L3000.gif
Gets the cups shaking but the bass comes through so clean and tight. I never gets distorted. But having said that, my super modded HM5 S500s can even hang with those WS99s so................

Quote:
Listening to KO makes your audio gear redundant.

Anyone on here try out the budget TDK wonders (not the MT300) that nick n has a thread on?

KO IS THE GOD OF ALL GEARS AUDIO, he will show you what they are truly capable of, nuff said. HAIL KO!!!

/ Nope not interested in any more TDKs cuz those MT300s still haunts me till this day.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back