The discovery thread!
Mar 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #8,161 of 100,465
Quote:
CKS77? And a CKN70?  Both completely different. The CKS77 is a second generation solid bass earphone. Similar tuning to your WS99 but not nearly as refined. I would skip those and go directly to the CKS99 because these will cost about the same but is a 3rd generation Solid Bass earphone. New tech involved in the housing using dual air chambers that gets these things even closer to the WS99 in performance. The earphone equivalent to the WS99 is the CKS1000. Flagship model..

The CKN70 is the subject of what we are talking about here. The mids have a similar quality to the ES700 but the highs do exhibit some of the older AT house sound. Which tames with more burn in. Far exceeds its cost in value and sound. I couldn't take them out of my ears last night..

Also on that note. I have discovered that the CKN70 the way it is tuned and their ability does not require amping or more power for them to sound their best. Almost an armature in dynamics these are more suited for listening on your cell phones and daps more than requiring any type of amplification..I have discovered last night that just using my Sony Z1060 and the CKN70 gives me a similar type sound to a well amped headphone in dynamics..Keep it simple with this one for best results me thinks.

I would pass on the CKM77. Those have a very V shape sound frequency. Very much the older AT house sound. They don't touch the mids that are on the CKN70.

Same here, i find it to sound worse when amped. LoL Straight outta my lamo ipods classic/ nano they shine like a mofo. More than enough juice to drive them from these mp3 players. Which for me is another plus for these CKN70s which makes them perfect for portable use. I went out with them clipped and it was crazy windy, but did not hear any microphonics. And they isolate really well when the music is on. These CKN70 is A++ in my book, lovin' the j-cord even the snake like nature of them don't really bug me for some reason, cuz alls you need is a good ol' clip and problem solved.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #8,162 of 100,465
Quote:
Sony xb90ex is an option, I modded my by removing the foam filter and after that they have transformed in an xba-3 with better bass
biggrin.gif
and the terble was hidden because of the foam an speed is now on par with them as well
biggrin.gif

My ws99's are in transit to tenso. For some stupid reason I am trolling around amazon.jp looking at other stuff to spend money on so that I can "save" on the tenso shipping fees. As you know, I have the gr07be's, and I really don't need any other iem's. Yet there I am on amazon.jp anyway. Sigh.

I am intrigued by the xba40's, but they are $180, and even though it might be an awesome price for them, it's too much for me right now (I think).

The xb90's have always intrigued me, and they are only $70, so that intrigues me further. But really, why would I get them when I have the gr07be's? One potential reason I guess is that I seem to like iem's that are not over-ear when using them out in public. So, I could the xb90's for that, and use the gr07be's the rest of the time. How's that for rationalizing?

Anyway, I ramble. Let me know if you have any words of widsom! Thanks.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #8,163 of 100,465
That is why I stopped listening to my Lyr and bought my Buson Soloist. The Soloist cost more than the Lyr, but actually saved me money, if that makes any sense.
I stopped buying all those expensive and rare tubes that made the Lyr sound so good!

And yes, I am completely satisfied with the Soloist as my main home headphone amp.

yeah, I'm discovering that right now. no such thing as a cheap cca or 7308 tube. :frowning2: at least I only need driver grade amps, t1 is a tubedac so I don't need power tubes. I got a o2 as the amp.
haha, good thing i traded for these. Pheeeew.  But i can see how this lil' amp is the gateway to possible audio nirvana or audio purgatory. :veryevil: ..........:triportsad:

edit: hey man keep us updated on that lil' tube amp of yours, bet they are also kicking up some serious sonic dust huh??? How they compare to your portable amp, etc. Or they just don't compare at all??? LoL

edit2: Let dem gud times roll!!!

I'm loving the t1 right now. with the "stock" tube, eh6922, everything has a nice sparkle to it and the soundstage is beautifully immersive. the dt880s already have a nice soundstage and treble and the t1 just adds to that.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #8,164 of 100,465
Quote:
Sony xb90ex is an option, I modded my by removing the foam filter and after that they have transformed in an xba-3 with better bass
biggrin.gif
and the terble was hidden because of the foam an speed is now on par with them as well
biggrin.gif

elaborate please... what did you put there instead of foam? I'm getting reaaaaally curious here :|

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #8,165 of 100,465
Quote:
The xb90's have always intrigued me, and they are only $70, so that intrigues me further. But really, why would I get them when I have the gr07be's? One potential reason I guess is that I seem to like iem's that are not over-ear when using them out in public. So, I could the xb90's for that, and use the gr07be's the rest of the time. How's that for rationalizing?

Anyway, I ramble. Let me know if you have any words of widsom! Thanks.

I do have to say that those xb90's have a real nice sound to them. Great price/performance ratio with those. Their bass is different from the gr07be, they have a bit more rumble, but are still clear and punchy.  I wouldn't call them neutral but they are fun and a bargain for under $100.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #8,166 of 100,465
Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

elaborate please... what did you put there instead of foam? I'm getting reaaaaally curious here :|

x2

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #8,167 of 100,465
Quote:
I do have to say that those xb90's have a real nice sound to them. Great price/performance ratio with those. Their bass is different from the gr07be, they have a bit more rumble, but are still clear and punchy.  I wouldn't call them neutral but they are fun and a bargain for under $100.

Thanks Carlsan! I'm listening to my gr07be's now and thinking "why am I even considering getting anything else?". It must be this head-fi addiction/affliction that is responsible lol! It might be easier on my psyche though if I get something like the xb90's that are reasonably priced.. as long as they don't suck! And based on your comments, they shouldn't. Thanks!

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #8,169 of 100,465
Thanks, but I'm going to get none (tonight at least!) and call it a night!

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #8,171 of 100,465
I didn't put anything in after removing the foam, just kept it open. Because there is no foam the treble becomes sprakly and much better in detail , mids become more cleaner , mid bass dissappears and sub bass is the only bass there. The sound also becomes more airer and faster in term of resolution .

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #8,172 of 100,465
Quote:
I didn't put anything in after removing the foam, just kept it open. Because there is no foam the treble becomes sprakly and much better in detail , mids become more cleaner , mid bass dissappears and sub bass is the only bass there. The sound also becomes more airer and faster in term of resolution .

yeah, but if something gets to the driver, kaput! some mesh filter should be good imo... I'll try modding mine though, sounds really good...

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #8,173 of 100,465
Hi. I forgot I had an account registered on here from a few years back, tried registering again! lol I have a question with regards to the CKM500.  I'm no expert on describing sound, but they sound as near as perfect for me. I really like the sound signature from them - soundstage size (great depth?), bass is nice (albeit a bit muddied with mids), don't mind the forward mids (vocals sound better?), the highs sound nice to me as well.  They are my current favourite headphones.  I guess I like the "coloured" sound they produce.  I also have the MH1C's.  They have a nice signature but seem to be lacking in mids, highs and soundstage depth, although they do sound kind of 3D.  The bass is a bit overblown too.  I think a cross between the two (CKM500 and MH1C) may be my ideal iem. My question is, what would be a nice overall upgrade to the ckm500, bearing in mind what I have said regarding my sound signature preferences, in the $100-$200 range? Thanks

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #8,174 of 100,465
Quote:
Hi. I forgot I had an account registered on here from a few years back, tried registering again! lol I have a question with regards to the CKM500.  I'm no expert on describing sound, but they sound as near as perfect for me. I really like the sound signature from them - soundstage size (great depth?), bass is nice (albeit a bit muddied with mids), don't mind the forward mids (vocals sound better?), the highs sound nice to me as well.  They are my current favourite headphones.  I guess I like the "coloured" sound they produce.  I also have the MH1C's.  They have a nice signature but seem to be lacking in mids, highs and soundstage depth, although they do sound kind of 3D.  The bass is a bit overblown too.  I think a cross between the two (CKM500 and MH1C) may be my ideal iem. My question is, what would be a nice overall upgrade to the ckm500, bearing in mind what I have said regarding my sound signature preferences, in the $100-$200 range? Thanks

this? http://www.head-fi.org/t/641571/the-new-ath-cks1000

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #8,175 of 100,465
Quote:

Sony XB90EX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back