The discovery thread!
Feb 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #7,456 of 100,344
I have to know, how does the quantity and depth of bass with the CKN70 compare to the MH1C?  I assume the quality is in another league and that the rest of the frequency spectrum outclasses the MH1C as well.  Also, how does it compare to the XB90EX?  I'm looking to upgrade my MH1C for more active use (it's a bit impractical sometimes), and I think I'm leaning toward either the CKN70 or XB90EX.

What I love about the MH1C is the big, extended bass with no mid-bass hump and the smooth frequency response without any real noticeable spikes or notches.  Whichever delivers that the best (and hopefully improves other aspects) will be my next investment, but since I probably can't return an item to Japan, I want to do it right the first time.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #7,457 of 100,344
Quote:
anyone here tried the Takstar Pro 80 or HI2050? There is a thread about them and they seems to be promising.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

I have the Pro 80's, great phones. I like them as much as I like my Koss dj100 (and that's a lot). They're great compliment to each other.

I have the Somic Efi 82 on the way so I'm looking forward to compare them.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #7,458 of 100,344
Quote:
I have to know, how does the quantity and depth of bass with the CKN70 compare to the MH1C?  I assume the quality is in another league and that the rest of the frequency spectrum outclasses the MH1C as well.  Also, how does it compare to the XB90EX?  I'm looking to upgrade my MH1C for more active use (it's a bit impractical sometimes), and I think I'm leaning toward either the CKN70 or XB90EX.

What I love about the MH1C is the big, extended bass with no mid-bass hump and the smooth frequency response without any real noticeable spikes or notches.  Whichever delivers that the best (and hopefully improves other aspects) will be my next investment, but since I probably can't return an item to Japan, I want to do it right the first time.

If your a sub bass guy then the XB90EX will do the deed for certain but if your an everything guy the CKN70 does not have an equal in the microHD realm.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #7,459 of 100,344
Quote:
If your a sub bass guy then the XB90EX will do the deed for certain but if your an everything guy the CKN70 does not have an equal in the microHD realm.

I am a sub-bass guy, but not at the expense of everything else, if that makes any sense.  My biggest problems with IEMs like the Brainwavz M5, the JVC FX3X, and the TDK MT-300 is how peaky the upper mids and treble can be in spots while sometimes other frequencies get lost.  The R1's slightly better, but still peakier than I prefer.  They all have sub-bass in spades but the rest of the signature ruins it for me.  The MH1C hits deep but sounds amazing, smooth, and clear across the board with no obnoxious resonant peaks, and that's why I love it.  I'm looking for something that does this similarly or better.  A little more top-end sparkle wouldn't hurt but it's not essential, as I have no problem with the MH1C's treble.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #7,460 of 100,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PakoBoy 
anyone here tried the Takstar Pro 80 or HI2050? There is a thread about them and they seems to be promising.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

I have the Pro 80's, great phones. I like them as much as I like my Koss dj100 (and that's a lot). They're great compliment to each other.

I have the Somic Efi 82 on the way so I'm looking forward to compare them.

nice, interested in hearing your comparisons.

Originally Posted by Disconnekt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am a sub-bass guy, but not at the expense of everything else, if that makes any sense.  My biggest problems with IEMs like the Brainwavz M5, the JVC FX3X, and the TDK MT-300 is how peaky the upper mids and treble can be in spots while sometimes other frequencies get lost.  The R1's slightly better, but still peakier than I prefer.  They all have sub-bass in spades but the rest of the signature ruins it for me.  The MH1C hits deep but sounds amazing, smooth, and clear across the board with no obnoxious resonant peaks, and that's why I love it.  I'm looking for something that does this similarly or better.  A little more top-end sparkle wouldn't hurt but it's not essential, as I have no problem with the MH1C's treble.

i felt the same way about the fx3x and the ckm500, r1 was ok. sounds to me you are looking for the xb90, but the xb60 could do.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #7,461 of 100,344
Quote:

I think all you guys that sold off your CKN50 in favor of the CKN70 did well. I doubt you would have touched your CKN50s after getting the CKN70. I thought about this springy cord AT put on these earphones. I am wondering if there is reason here.. I am wondering if AT is trying out a new material for the cord..These could be a higher end cord here in disguise. I certainly can't argue with the end results that is for sure..

Most likely the reason is a simple one. It is just the cable the OEM used on it. There are different cables and extensions on a few of the AT phones and you can tell they come from different places. This... with that particular plug is a Cresyn. The CKN are yet another plug/cable on an AT. Seems they found something good, so not really important where they come from.

Don't think the cable is anything high end. I'm sure higher end CKN90/100 models will likely bring the better resolving cables as well as titanium housing, better internals, etc. Seems like they just went with the OEM's basic design to keep the cost down. Changing it out most likely meant having to change the price point higher than they wanted.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #7,462 of 100,344
Quote:

Get yourself a CKN70 and be done with. It is a very nice high end sound to them. Like I said there is no Mircro HD earphone in existence that comes close. The only thing that kinda sucks on them is indeed the cable it is all over the place but manageable. Once you hear how it sounds you soon forget all about the cable.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #7,463 of 100,344
Quote:
Get yourself a CKN70 and be done with. It is a very nice high end sound to them. Like I said there is no Mircro HD earphone in existence that comes close. The only thing that kinda sucks on them is indeed the cable it is all over the place but manageable. Once you hear how it sounds you soon forget all about the cable.

The CKN70 is truly a delight, got mine yesterday as well.

The only issue that I see, right off the bat, is the cable micro-phonics. Nothing that a good cable clip, included,  can't take care of. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #7,464 of 100,344
Quote:

How long did customs have your headphones? Today will be the 6th day for my and I'm getting impatient. :p

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #7,465 of 100,344
Any day now. You should see your earphones. Maybe today maybe tomorrow. I did notice the fist time my order went through LA customs it took them longer than I am getting stuff now.. They might be checking out what you are ordering and who it is going to. Making sure there are not parts for making a bomb or something.. Took an extra week but eventually you will get it.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #7,466 of 100,344
Quote:
Any day now. You should see your earphones. Maybe today maybe tomorrow. I did notice the fist time my order went through LA customs it took them longer than I am getting stuff now.. They might be checking out what you are ordering and who it is going to. Making sure there are not parts for making a bomb or something.. Took an extra week but eventually you will get it.

I'll tell you what though: Tenso hauls ass! It only took a day to get to customs after I ordered it.

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #7,467 of 100,344
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, get some CKN70s. Ds has heard so much stuff that you know something is truly spectacular when it blows him away. The CKN70 would definitely be better than the MH1C (based on my experience with the CKN50). And the CKN cable isn't really that bad. I bet the main reason most of us talk about it is because, if the cable were better, the CKN line would be (dare I say) perfect.

Quote:
Quote:

I'll tell you what though: Tenso hauls ass! It only took a day to get to customs after I ordered it.

I love Tenso soo much. I ordered my CKN70s earlier this week and now they're getting ready to ship it out. Should get them before the end of the week.

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #7,468 of 100,344

I just got the Technical Pro HPT990s, rebrand of the 2050. They're amazing for the price. Picked them up from Adorama for $50 w/ free shipping. They have a similar sound sig as the Beyer DT880/990s... which I just got as well (600ohms). 
dt880smile.png
 REAALLY quick impression against the DT880/600s, Immediately you can tell that the HPT990s is bassier and more siblant which matches the sig of DT990s more. They clamp pretty hard and unevenly, I've had them on for about 6hrs yesterday.. you don't notice it at first but when you take them off, your jaws are sore and achy. They clamp unevenly because they don't swivel along the Y axis like the Beyers to fit better but then again, they're at least a quarter of the price. Besides the clamping, which I'm sure will go away, the cord sucks. It's coiled so I might look into either recabling or modding the hps themselves to be detachable. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #7,469 of 100,344
I've finally pulled the trigger on ATH CKN70! 'was waiting for more comparison against the XBA30, but I figured its alright coz I still have my XBA3. There's more to gain from the new ATH sound than just upgrading to a refined but similar sound signature of XBA. So now, the waiting begins...

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #7,470 of 100,344
Hey, are there any cheap(ish) comfortable basshead headphones from JVC or something like that that I haven't discovered? Basically looking for something that will be super comfortable (Comfort is a massive factor, I have a big head, massive ears and glasses -___-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back