The discovery thread!
Dec 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #5,491 of 100,533
So I see a lot of headphones being mentioned and I'm lost.
I saw Ghostfit mention a cheap >$20 headphone that is inbetween the S400 and S500.
Where does the Somic fit in?

Which would be a good recommendation for a gaming headphone on the cheap?
I saw a thread called something like Mad Lust Gaming headphones and the KOSS KSC75 were recommended.

Anyway I think I'm interested in the ones that Ghostfit mentioned and a link would be nice please.

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #5,492 of 100,533
Sure !   ...here ya go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180981856132?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

This one's got Bluetooth connection.

edit: Looking at a few of the phones in your signature, I'm pretty certain you'll be underwhelm by them but for their functionality, bang for the buck and convienience on the go.
redface.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #5,493 of 100,533
So I see a lot of headphones being mentioned and I'm lost.
I saw Ghostfit mention a cheap >$20 headphone that is inbetween the S400 and S500.
Where does the Somic fit in?

Which would be a good recommendation for a gaming headphone on the cheap?
I saw a thread called something like Mad Lust Gaming headphones and the KOSS KSC75 were recommended.

Anyway I think I'm interested in the ones that Ghostfit mentioned and a link would be nice please.

Thanks!

No idea as I haven't heard those other cans and the others haven't heard the Somic. But if you can find them for say $60 I'd say go for it! They sound great and you can mod them to further increase subbass too.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 8, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #5,494 of 100,533
Thanks so much! I saw that link, but then saw a couple others as well and wanted to make sure to get the right one.

lol... Yes, I probably would be underwhelmed, but it's for a friend, who doesn't want to spend money, otherwise I would've got him to buy the 598 that are on sale that I saw on OzBargain!

Thanks Joe for your input, if it was for me I'd probably go for something like the 598 mentioned above.

Quote:
Sure !   ...here ya go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180981856132?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

This one's got Bluetooth connection.

edit: Looking at a few of the phones in your signature, I'm pretty certain you'll be underwhelm by them but for their functionality, bang for the buck and convienience on the go.
redface.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #5,496 of 100,533
Quote:
Thanks so much! I saw that link, but then saw a couple others as well and wanted to make sure to get the right one.

lol... Yes, I probably would be underwhelmed, but it's for a friend, who doesn't want to spend money, otherwise I would've got him to buy the 598 that are on sale that I saw on OzBargain!

Thanks Joe for your input, if it was for me I'd probably go for something like the 598 mentioned above.

You're most welcome.

I brought them on a wimp of fancy because they were so cheap, on first listen out of the box, they were okay, nothing spectacular, burned them for about 50 hrs+ and the SQ improved, much better, ....now at the 100hrs+ mark they're starting to impress.

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of the burn in process was the improvement to the Bass, unlike most phones I've experienced where the bass simply got tighter and more controlled with burn, the bass on these seems to have expanded dimensionally as well, you could 'feel' where it's coming from, I am familar with the bass from JVC S500, Sony xb90ex, JVC FX3X but none of them sounds as unique as these MRH8801.

I can't put my finger on it exactly, It's not as large or as deep as xb90ex and yet..... the best way I could describe the sound is that with the xb90ex, you distinctively hear drums playing but with the MRH8801, you could hear how many drums are being played.

Mids and highs are now at about the same levels as the S400.

One last comment, these are hyper critical of your source recordings, they sound very bad with poorly recorded music but play a well recorded track and it is like magic.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #5,499 of 100,533
The only way you are gonna get piercing highs on a XB90 is if you don't have the right size tip. The highs are more reserved on the XB90 than most iems.. Try a tip one size higher than what you are using.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #5,500 of 100,533
Quote:
The only way you are gonna get piercing highs on a XB90 is if you don't have the right size tip. The highs are more reserved on the XB90 than most iems.. Try a tip one size higher than what you are using.

I received the meelec tips you suggested a couple of days ago (really fast shipping, under a week from ordering via ebay). While they did improve the sound thanks to the wider nozzle hole, they did little to the highs... or at least I don't seem to notice a difference.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive to heights and the XB90s are the first headphones I realize that with, I don't know.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #5,501 of 100,533
Are you guys feeling the tips inside your ears? I know some guys are uncomfortable with the feeling of tips inside the ear but I am having a hard time understanding how these can have sharpness to the highs..You should be able to feel the tips when you push it in your ears. This is how to get a proper seal.  If they fit loose were you can move your tips as they don't touch inner canal, even the reserved highs on the XB90 will sound sharp. That is the only explanation I can think of.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #5,502 of 100,533
Quote:
Are you guys feeling the tips inside your ears? I know some guys are uncomfortable with the feeling of tips inside the ear but I am having a hard time understanding how these can have sharpness to the highs..You should be able to feel the tips when you push it in your ears. This is how to get a proper seal.  If they fit loose were you can move your tips as they don't touch inner canal, even the reserved highs on the XB90 will sound sharp. That is the only explanation I can think of.

Using the double-flanged meleec tips, over-ear style and I pushed them in really tightly. I can feel a little bit of pressure inside the ears, so I'd guess they are sealed correctly.

Since I tried anything else I fiddled around with the volume a bit and it seems to me, the effect get's better on lower volumes. Like the highs don't respond linear with the volume increase if that makes any sense... or maybe I'm just really sleepy and have picked at my music and my different headphones for too long today. Will have another try at this after a good nights sleep.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #5,503 of 100,533
Aha. That could be the problem right there.. The double flange. Try using one of the single flange tips.  The double will let in some air depending on fit. The wider bore single flange tip is what I use. Try them instead if you ended up getting the variety pack. They should have come with single flange tips.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #5,504 of 100,533
Quote:
Using the double-flanged meleec tips, over-ear style and I pushed them in really tightly. I can feel a little bit of pressure inside the ears, so I'd guess they are sealed correctly.

Since I tried anything else I fiddled around with the volume a bit and it seems to me, the effect get's better on lower volumes. Like the highs don't respond linear with the volume increase if that makes any sense... or maybe I'm just really sleepy and have picked at my music and my different headphones for too long today. Will have another try at this after a good nights sleep.

Have you tried any wide bore foam tips? They work really well for me on my fxd70's at taming the highs.

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #5,505 of 100,533
Dsnuts I have tried a couple of wider bore tips on the xb90ex, currently using the ones I got from the jvc fx101. The highs are still pretty bad, like painful to the ear . I have tried all the tips and get a good seal and still get the piercing highs. Cant listen to these sony's on loud volume as they are that bad. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back