The discovery thread!
Oct 26, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #4,111 of 100,525
Quote:

Sparked 'em up again. Wow - love the bass in these little puppies! Very cool soundstage. Moby's "Run On" is rumblin' like a locomotive through my cranium .. :)

Thought you might like them.

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #4,116 of 100,525
So I see the JVC HARX700 are $33 now. Worth it, even with the old technology? Dsnuts, when you get a chance, will you rank your the JVC phones (ear and head) in order of best sound quality to worst in your opinion? I'm just curious about how all of the JVCs you've heard thus far rank in your mind. Thanks in advance.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #4,117 of 100,525
Last night I gave some careful listening to the R1 and was picking off some flaws on the sounds. I have a feeling if Brainwavz threw in some higher resolution drivers in these they would have a serious contender. As they are. I am certain the drivers in here are standard drivers that have standard resolution. Here is what I mean.

They sound good for the price I definitely got my monies worth this is for certain. Synthetic music sounds better on these than acoustic/ vocal music. The one area these are lacking is timbre detail. The most upper registers on these R1s are chopped off. Extension on symbols and high hats are somewhat reserved and is not as forward as I would like to hear. But for what they are the nice wide stage these throw with a nice strong bass end is tuned more for bassy type music more than anything delicate or detailed in sound.

Last night I was disappointed with vocals as it sounded almost one note. Vocal range and clarity was lacking for me and so I threw them on the burner at 90% max volume. 

What you know this morning I am listening to them and they have improved. Everything seems a bit tighter in the sound which was what I hoped for. Now these do have a mid bass boost you can hear in bass guitars and mid bass instruments giving them a musical tilt toward the sound. The issue with this is some tunes sound fantastic while some sound a bit congested in the lower registers. I am hoping more burn in and I will try out some different tips today will help with the abundance of mid bass boost these have. EDM and Hiphop sounds fantastic on these for certain and I feel for the price the detail level is actually pretty good. In fact the potential for greatness is there and I think that was ultimately the reason why I was disappointed with the lack of timbre detail on them. But for a casual listening phone I think these are a good buy, they isolate good, sound good, once you get a get a good tip are comfy with no microphonics. I look forward to a higher end version of these. Which I hear will be a possibility.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #4,118 of 100,525
Quote:
So I see the JVC HARX700 are $33 now. Worth it, even with the old technology? Dsnuts, when you get a chance, will you rank your the JVC phones (ear and head) in order of best sound quality to worst in your opinion? I'm just curious about how all of the JVCs you've heard thus far rank in your mind. Thanks in advance.

Hmm first I will say the HARX700 and HARX900s are easily out classed by the newer JVC offerings the HA-S500 and HA-S400

I would rate them like so. Just my opinion of course.

HA-S500 using ATH- pleather pads.
HA-FXD80
HA-FXD70
HA-S400 using AKG pads
HA-FX31
HA-FX3X
HA-FX40
HA-FX101
HA-FXC51
HA-M750
HA-S600
HA-S160
HA-FX67
HA-RX700
HA-RX900
HA-FX1X
HA-S700. The worst sounding JVC product guaranteed!

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #4,119 of 100,525
Quote:
...I have a feeling if Brainwavz threw in some higher resolution drivers in these they would have a serious contender. As they are. I am certain the drivers in here are standard drivers that have standard resolution. Here is what I mean...
The one area these are lacking is timbre detail. The most upper registers on these R1s are chopped off....

They sound good for the price I definitely got my monies worth this is for certain. I feel for the price the detail level is actually pretty good. In fact the potential for greatness is there and I think that was ultimately the reason why I was disappointed with the lack of timbre detail on them. But for a casual listening phone I think these are a good buy, they isolate good, sound good, [and]... are comfy with no microphonics. I look forward to a higher end version of these.

You just put into words what I didn't feel like taking the time to do.
I posted this short thought in the mp4nation forum yesterday...

"I think only an iem with even greater detail and soundstage and ever so slightly increased mids and even more realistic timbre in the upper registers will beat these for sheer music enjoyment."

But of course the soundstage is already so big I guess I could substitute that with instrument separation.

The word for mids finally came to mind too. They're not recessed. just slightly veiled. Which means I'll throw in clarity to the list of improvements for a "beater". I guess that could be helped too with higher resolution drivers.

And yes, still burning both the xb90s and r1s in.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #4,123 of 100,525
Quote:
Hmm first I will say the HARX700 and HARX900s are easily out classed by the newer JVC offerings the HA-S500 and HA-S400

I would rate them like so. Just my opinion of course.

HA-S500 using ATH- pleather pads.
HA-FXD80
HA-FXD70
HA-S400 using AKG pads
HA-FX31
HA-FX3X
HA-FX40
HA-FX101
HA-FXC51
HA-M750
HA-S600
HA-S160
HA-FX67
HA-RX700
HA-RX900
HA-FX1X
HA-S700. The worst sounding JVC product guaranteed!

Nice list btw, agreed with your ranking for the JVC gear that I own as well.  

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #4,125 of 100,525
Quote:

how about the yamaha eph100?

Everything I've read has said that the highs on those are "smoothed over" or "laid back", which means I won't like them.  If you check my profile you'll notice that I prefer phones that most people think are too V-shaped.

Did some comparisons between the CKS77, FX3X, and MMDT today.  These MMDTs do really have too much bass, but they are a bit more refined than the CKS77 even with me boosting the highs a bit.  But I'm really liking these ATH's, so I may end up letting the MMDT go sometime.  The FX3X sound better today with a better fit, but I still don't like something about the JVC highs.  I much prefer the ATH highs.

Quote:
Maybe you can be the first to try out the CKS99 and/or CKS1000.  Those look pretty awesome.  But the FX700 sounds spot on for what you're describing.  

I will be keeping an eye on those, but since I really don't like paying more than ~$100 for IEMs, it will be quite a while before I get to try them.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back