The discovery thread!
Jun 20, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #2,341 of 100,564
Quote:
i'm using FR201 on my SGS 3 now. no problems with the headphone so far, sound quality is superb, but i not sure whether its the same as the 101 because i never tried that

the mic controls works well as well. but the button seems fragile to me, not sure how long it will last after long periods of pressing. controls are same with the stock earbuds for most android phones

Did you have to use the extra adaptor cable that came with the FR201 on your SGS 3 ?

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #2,343 of 100,564
Got my FX101's last week and after wrestling to get the packaging opened, burned them in for  few days with BassDrive. I'm definitely no audiophile but these things sound awesome. Don't really have a critical ear to do A/B's but I do love the bass on these. My super-basshead younger brother says the highs are too clear lol. He's in love with his MEE M6's and to a lesser extent Senn HD202's. 

On a side note, I slapped on the small tips and told my girlfriend (who thinks IEM's are uncomfortable and unnecessary and much rather use her stock iphone buds) try them on and listen to one of her songs. Just ordered her the violet FX101's. =) (Wish I knew about the FR201's before I ordered though. I might have to return it once I get them and order the mic'd version.)

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #2,344 of 100,564
Here's the lowdown on the connectors:

1. Yes TRS plugs (headphones without mic) can cause smartphones to skip.  Dunno about all smartphones or all phones but some phones skip my LG Optimus 2X.  What I've done is download the DisableAutoPlay app for Android which disables detection of the media button that doesn't exist on these headphones to prevent skipping.

2. TRRS plugs (headphones with mic) come in 3 flavours.  Apart from the Apple-exclusive phones with like a fully functioning remote on the headphones, even the single-button headphones come in two flavours: one for Nokia, Samsung and Sony-Ericsson phones and one for everybody else.  It's apparently just a thing with which ring the button is wired to, because Philips ships an adapter with all its mic'd headphones that convert from the "for everybody else" standard to the "for Nokia/Samsung/Sony" standard.  Apparently using TRRS headphones meant for one system on the other system without the adapter will cause the headphones / phone to do God-knows-what crazy things.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 20, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #2,345 of 100,564
Quote:
Here's the lowdown on the connectors:

1. Yes TRS plugs (headphones without mic) can cause smartphones to skip.  Dunno about all smartphones or all phones but some phones skip my LG Optimus 2X.  What I've done is download the DisableAutoPlay app for Android which disables detection of the media button that doesn't exist on these headphones to prevent skipping.

2. TRRS plugs (headphones with mic) come in 3 flavours.  Apart from the Apple-exclusive phones with like a fully functioning remote on the headphones, even the single-button headphones come in two flavours: one for Nokia, Samsung and Sony-Ericsson phones and one for everybody else.  It's apparently just a thing with which ring the button is wired to, because Philips ships an adapter with all its mic'd headphones that convert from the "for everybody else" standard to the "for Nokia/Samsung/Sony" standard.  Apparently using TRRS headphones meant for one system on the other system without the adapter will cause the headphones / phone to do God-knows-what crazy things.

Thanks, Joe

You have echoed what I was trying to say and filled them in with the proper terms and a better defination.

Now I know they're TRS and TRRS plugs
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #2,346 of 100,564
My TT Isurus arrived today. Compared to the Philips 3580's these IME's have a much better soundstage. Bass is about the same.
I fitted them with sony hybrid's.
I think the cable will break pretty quickly tho, around the added mic..
Now starts the burn-in process of both.

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2,347 of 100,564
Now that my FX40's have burned in, I'm listening to these almost all of the time. The only time I'm not is when my Soundmagic A10 dies and I switch to the FX101s to keep the bass in my face.

I don't find myself listening to my MMDTs at all anymore. *sigh* Might be time to sell those bad boys. Anyone interested? :D

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #2,348 of 100,564
I second that. My MMDT are gone. I use FX40's often for a number of reasons. Inconspicuous. Lightweight. Easy seal. Easy to put on. Very good sound.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2,349 of 100,564
These FX40s are crazy good..These do have the tech up on FX101 but the FX101 got that nasty bass. These have the same Carbon Nanotube that is in the FXD80. It is apparent on hearing them. They all have a very clean sound..And sub bass the FX40 is still best. It seems the bigger driver has the more proper power for bass. . I might have to try out the FXD70 as I am thinking those would be even closer to the FX40. As is the FXD80 is a different sound signature a more higher end sound.

If you have the means I am very much impressed with the FXD80. It is one of the most refined sounds I have heard from JVC. I have heard nothing better from them. I was initially taken back by almost a detached highs type of sound on open box. A few days and nights of burning and these continue to shine for me. I was listening to my FX40 last night. Damn. They are impressive. That kind of sound just don't exist at that cost was my thought. Not everyones gonna like.But imo everyone should get a FX40. You need one in the collection for sure. Bass head or not.

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2,350 of 100,564
Quote:
These FX40s are crazy good..These do have the tech up on FX101 but the FX101 got that nasty bass. These have the same Carbon Nanotube that is in the FXD80. It is apparent on hearing them. They all have a very clean sound..And sub bass the FX40 is still best. It seems the bigger driver has the more proper power for bass. . I might have to try out the FXD70 as I am thinking those would be even closer to the FX40. As is the FXD80 is a different sound signature a more higher end sound.

If you have the means I am very much impressed with the FXD80. It is one of the most refined sounds I have heard from JVC. I have heard nothing better from them. I was initially taken back by almost a detached highs type of sound on open box. A few days and nights of burning and these continue to shine for me. I was listening to my FX40 last night. Damn. They are impressive. That kind of sound just don't exist at that cost was my thought. Not everyones gonna like.But imo everyone should get a FX40. You need one in the collection for sure. Bass head or not.

i dislike statements like that because youll then get ppl that will say the fx40 is too bloated in the bass and their posts might deter people who would really enjoy them.  the low end is a bit much but overall these are VERY good for the price. i thank you for finding them.  
and anyone who enjoys some great bass and is in the market for an IEM under 100-120 or so, should try these out.  might even do well against more expensive IEMs but to each their own.

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,351 of 100,564
Sorry bout that. The bass levels are what I call fun level on them but I would say good for bass lovers. Bass heads will want more. Thats where the FX101 come in..That is why we all have a choice but the SQ on the FX40 is so ridiculous good for the cash.

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #2,352 of 100,564
Quote:
Sorry bout that. The bass levels are what I call fun level on them but I would say good for bass lovers. Bass heads will want more. Thats where the FX101 come in..That is why we all have a choice but the SQ on the FX40 is so ridiculous good for the cash.

i have to agree. i bought the SHE3580 for my wife and thought they sounded good. i like these better. if in the market, def. try these out.

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #2,353 of 100,564
Quote:

FX40 bass level is there. No struggle with fit to make it apparent. It's apparent. Not overblown, but it's clearly there. Meanwhile, bass on a mid-centric such as RE-262, I have to insert them just so, then amp them up to hear bass that only comes near to FX40 bass un-amped and unceremoniously stuck in the ears.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2,354 of 100,564
Went to work with the FX40 today. Very nice "get around" IEMs. Nice wide soundstage and good vocal imaging. The bass is nice and thus far the treble doesn't bother me if I don't turn it  up too loud. Comfortable and enjoyable walking around the city with these in my ears (even with stock tips).

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #2,355 of 100,564
So far, everyone around my circle who has heard them FX40 are impressed, including some "headphones only" guys, even the most skeptical listener commented that "these are really great value for money".

I've tried some Comply tips and found that they tame down the highs quite abit, the whole sound has changed and I'm finding more details in the mids, now to hunt down more different tips to see which I like most. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back