The discovery thread!
Jun 7, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #2,131 of 99,909
 The FX3X has more in common with the old FX1X more than the FX101. If you polished up the sounds of the FX1X that is what the FX3X sound like. A much cleaner more refined sounding FX1X. The mids are clean n full on the FX3X and the bass just as brawny as the FX1X but again cleaner and more controlled in this area over them.. Unfortunately these also have the similar peakiness in the upper mids lower highs that are also on the FX1X..If they didn't bother you much on the FX1X these will certainly not be worse than what was on the FX1X.

Now are they worth the money? I would grab the  Audio Technica ATH-CKM500 over these for about the same cost. While the CKM500s are not about big bass. They do offer solid bass impact and sub bass but has one of the best SQs for under $100 earphones to date. The differences in the highs and mids alone on the CKM500 are worth the cost of admission. Imagery and detail is on another level over over the FX3X. The FX3X is a good earphone and I am glad I got them but in all honesty for me at least they aren't a leap in sound over my CKS77.

These are more of a side grade than a clear upgrade.  But if bass earphones are your cup o tea these are easily one of the top bass earphones I have heard to date and already beat up on my MMDTs and the MG7s. If these didn't have this peaky flaw in the sounds these would be tops imo but this flaw I am trying to beat out of them. We will see. To get a good idea of how these sound. Throw on your FX1X and hear them now imagine that entire sound cleaned up and you will get a good idea of how these sound.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #2,132 of 99,909
Quote:
My FX101 from eBay arrived today. Gonna cook 'em for a few days. They sound muddy to me with fake Hybrids, like someone put their hand over the vocals. It clears up with some black foams I got from lostearbuds. It could be a fit issue with the fake Hybrids in my case. I'll stick with the foams for now since they seem to work better for me.

I don't know if hybrids would be a good idea for these. Because they have such a big nozzle you would need a big holed tip. Hybrids would just end up restricting a lot of the sound.  I would try the stock tip first to hear them right and then try out others. 

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,133 of 99,909
Quote:
I don't know if hybrids would be a good idea for these. Because they have such a big nozzle you would need a big holed tip. Hybrids would just end up restricting a lot of the sound.  I would try the stock tip first to hear them right and then try out others. 

That does make sense since the Hybrid opening is smaller than the nozzle. I'll try the stock tips next time. I have this habit of tossing aside stock tips and reaching into my tip collection instead.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #2,134 of 99,909
I am usually the opposite. Most earphones excluding  the MP8320 the included tips are part of the sound design. I am certain the engineers make sure the sound is right with included tips before they finish a final product. That is why I always use included tips first and hear what the manufacturers intended first.

Complys sound great on just about everything but most other tips will actually change the intended sound for better or for worse. Even the complys change the sound just a little here and there..I am lucky to have an average sized ear and everything I throw into my ears I am able to get a good seal with. Now If the included tips don't work out then that would be when I open my otterbox packed with tips. And I suppose later on after you get used to the sound and want to lessen the highs or increase the bass end a bit playing with tips will do that as well.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2,135 of 99,909
So far, I am liking the included tips. :)

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2,136 of 99,909
why is everyone swapping out the tips on the fx101s? they're not bad at all, especially considering some of the junk UE ships with their phones.

just popped some hybrids on mine to take a look, and they do restrict. same with my TF10s, but i can't wear the damn things with anything else.

My father just borrowed my FX101s, and now my pockets feel abnormally empty.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2,137 of 99,909
You should do what I do. My father knows I discover iems and headphones. He is a happy old man cuz he automatically gets a pair. It is my way of thanking him for my hearing senses.. He always tells me to stop giving him these earphones and he just grabs them anyhow.Lol!

Plus with fathers day around the corner. What better gift than the gift of good sound.

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2,138 of 99,909
Quote:
Alright, i'm a little confused... What's the deal with the FR201s?
I was under the impression that they were just fx101s with an in line mic. My ADDIEMs had a mic, and they behaved like normal headphones in all my ipods, and just functioned as a mic with my iphone.

Does the mic on the fr201 not work?

If you're feeding them off an Iphone/Ipod, there is no problem, it seems the Apple products can tell if a 3 or 4 contacts jack is inserted, Iphones will work with both FX101 as well as FR201.

However if you paired the FR201 with a non-Apple DAP, most likely there will only be sound from one side of the earphones (unless you depress the button on the mic). You can try plugging in IEMs with mic into your PC and see if you get the same effects.

On an Android Phone, the FX101 will play havoc with the phone system causing the music player to skip tracks, activating calls, etc, ...also the SQ coming from both side of the earphones may sounds as if they're out of phase. The FR201 will work perfectly with these phones (some may need the adaptor cable provided)

I'm trying to find out what are the signals for both 3 and 4 contacts and will try to solder up a 4 contacts female to 3 contacts male adaptor so that I can burn in smartphone enabled IEMs at my burning station at home while I'm at work.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #2,139 of 99,909
Quote:
Just took out my FX40s from their cotton and hardcase cocoon where they have been burning in for the past three days and had a listen. They are starting to sound closer to the RE-252s that I owned previously. Very accurate and neutral. A blank canvas on which the music paints it's scene which I can see in my mind's eye. Very responsive to EQ'ing should I ever need a little extra bass. Speaking of extra bass, the bass that is there is tight and excellently presented. The treble isn't as piercing as it was when I first listened to them from the box. The midrange is beautiful. It's like a pair of budget RE-252s although the lower sensitivity means it's not as 'fast' as the RE-252s were.

Speaking of the RE-252s, the FX40s feel like they are raping my ears as well (especially the right). This time however, the UE tips that I got from pianist, no longer afford me any comfort like they did with the RE-252s. I think might have to create my own 'hybrid' tips for these.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just had another listen and it's almost done.
biggrin.gif
   Shame about the fit issues though. I'm looking into modifying the stock tips to have small or super small hybrid tips at the end of them.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #2,140 of 99,909
Update FX3X. They have a solid 30 hours now and I have to admit I am somewhat disappointed in these. The mids are clear as day until they hit the upper registers. I have various vocal and trance tracks I like testing earphones with and for some reason I was not as impressed with these as I was with the FX101 on open box. Even though these have some of the most fantastic bass I have ever heard in an earphone I was more concerned with the rest of the sound more so as I listen to more than just bassy music. I think If bassy music consist of 70% of your music library than these are fine. But then again EDM does have a lot of highs to consider. These are one of the best earphones for hiphop I have ever heard actually.

However. I listen to just about everything I consider great in music and these are not as versatile as even my CKS77 and here is why. These clearly have sibilance. The more and more I listen to these the more they kinda remind me of the CKM99. The CKM99 was the older flagship product from AT and while those sound great they share the one issue these have which is. Sibilance and the occasional hot treble. I think these are actually worse on this issue over them, nothing like peaky sound to ruin a smooth sounding recording.  Burn in so far has actually made the problem worse as the mids are clearing up but the peaks are still there so I can detect more of it now than even on open box. What I thought was mild is actually getting worse.  

This is the reason why even jokingly I warned others to wait until I got them to test out.  While the peakiness so far I can tolerate and I am no where near done with burn in but to me it is a glaring issue with these. Even on great recorded albums these clearly show the peakiness and to me I have so many earphones that don't have this issue. The FX101 doesn't have this issue while they may be a bit bumpy in the upper registers these are clearly worse. So far believe it or not the FX101 actually is showing me that JVC knew about the issue and has tried fixing that issue on the FX101.

Somehow I am thinking maybe the reason why JVC has released the FX101 for so cheap was to right the ship here.. The FX3X I would still take over anything monster or Atrio but they simply do not get the recommend you guys are waiting for. I think your money for now is best saved up for the FXD80 or the CKM500 if you don't own one. 

These FX3X has showed me just how much superior the CKM500 is in sound quality. I think a year ago I would have loved how these FX3X sound but within a year there has been so many advances in earphone sound that it is hard to recommend these when even the cheaper FX101 is easier to listen to. The musical sound done right I still think the best in this class is the CKS77. These come close but this little issue is glaring it's ugly head otherwise they do sound great but then you hear the SSSHHHHH  TTTTTTT.  Unless there is a drastic turn around. I would pass. I will update more with at least another 50 hour. I am not giving up yet on these but somehow as burn in progresses I don't expect these peaks to magically go away.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #2,141 of 99,909
Haven't even opened the package on mine yet.
I realized i've got way too many IEM's and headphones right now, and not giving things enough headtime.
So I'll watch fromt he sidelines for awhile.
popcorn.gif

Quote:
Update FX3X. They have a solid 30 hours now and I have to admit I am somewhat disappointed in these. The mids are clear as day until they hit the upper registers. I have various vocal and trance tracks I like testing earphones with and for some reason I was not as impressed with these as I was with the FX101 on open box. Even though these have some of the most fantastic bass I have ever heard in an earphone I was more concerned with the rest of the sound more so as I listen to more than just bassy music. I think If bassy music consist of 70% of your music library than these are fine. But then again EDM does have a lot of highs to consider. These are one of the best earphones for hiphop I have ever heard actually.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #2,144 of 99,909
Quote:

However. I listen to just about everything I consider great in music and these are not as versatile as even my CKS77 and here is why. These clearly have sibilance. The more and more I listen to these the more they kinda remind me of the CKM99. The CKM99 was the older flagship product from AT and while those sound great they share the one issue these have which is. Sibilance and the occasional hot treble. I think these are actually worse on this issue over them, nothing like peaky sound to ruin a smooth sounding recording.  Burn in so far has actually made the problem worse as the mids are clearing up but the peaks are still there so I can detect more of it now than even on open box. What I thought was mild is actually getting worse.  

This is the reason why even jokingly I warned others to wait until I got them to test out.  While the peakiness so far I can tolerate and I am no where near done with burn in but to me it is a glaring issue with these. Even on great recorded albums these clearly show the peakiness and to me I have so many earphones that don't have this issue. The FX101 doesn't have this issue while they may be a bit bumpy in the upper registers these are clearly worse. So far believe it or not the FX101 actually is showing me that JVC knew about the issue and has tried fixing that issue on the FX101.

Somehow I am thinking maybe the reason why JVC has released the FX101 for so cheap was to right the ship here.. The FX3X I would still take over anything monster or Atrio but they simply do not get the recommend you guys are waiting for. I think your money for now is best saved up for the FXD80 or the CKM500 if you don't own one. 

These FX3X has showed me just how much superior the CKM500 is in sound quality. I think a year ago I would have loved how these FX3X sound but within a year there has been so many advances in earphone sound that it is hard to recommend these when even the cheaper FX101 is easier to listen to. The musical sound done right I still think the best in this class is the CKS77. These come close but this little issue is glaring it's ugly head otherwise they do sound great but then you hear the SSSHHHHH  TTTTTTT.  Unless there is a drastic turn around. I would pass. I will update more with at least another 50 hour. I am not giving up yet on these but somehow as burn in progresses I don't expect these peaks to magically go away.

Thanks Dsnuts.  Looks like I will just stick with the FX101's.  Don't need anymore earphones until another one like the CKM500's come out.

Quote:
Does anyone know how the Brainwaves m4 would compare to the fx101 and/or fx40... i am about to bite on one or more.

If you like lots of bass, then fx101.  If you like clarity with sub-bass, the fx40.  If you like something with a little of both then M4.  To me, the M4 is the least fatiguing but the other two are still pretty new to me and haven't had enough head time.  

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #2,145 of 99,909
Good to know a out the fx3x dsnuts.

I'm still seriously contemplating the gr02. Doesn't seem like anyone whose done the review on the gr02 has reviewed any of these jvcs.

Still enjoying the heck out of these fx101s. Wonder if theres going tobe anything else new from jvc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back