The discovery thread!
May 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #1,516 of 100,574
I guess those in Europe will need patience, except if they are willing to order from the US or Asia. Few dealers in the US even have these yet. I guess most Japanese brands release products in Japan first, then perhaps the rest of Asia and the US, then Europe and then South Amarica. It seems like the major dealers in the US that ship worldwide might not even have these yet. Shipping from the US or Asia may be expensive on a percentage  basis, unless you get together with a few people and order a bunch at a time.

May 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #1,517 of 100,574
JVCs micro driver is something interesting. Before I bought the FXC51 I wouldnt have recommended just based on size alone but it's size is deceptive of its performance. Imagine performance like the 40.

Another note my 40s are no longer painful in the higher frequencies after about 50 hours

May 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #1,518 of 100,574
Quote:
JVCs micro driver is something interesting. Before I bought the FXC51 I wouldnt have recommended just based on size alone but it's size is deceptive of its performance. Imagine performance like the 40.
Another note my 40s are no longer painful in the higher frequencies after about 50 hours

The FXD60 is interesting, however the treble on the HA-FXC51 and HA-FXC80 microdriver IEMs does sound unnatural. Perhaps the same will be the case with the FXD60. Some people like unnatural sound though.  

May 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,519 of 100,574
Quote:

So I do a lot of critical listening on the drive to work and back. Yes I am guilty of listening to my portable rig while I drive. I took my well burned in FX40 home and started to listen to them on the way to work this morning.. Journeys greatest hits and then some Steve Miller band.

Damn guys I don't know what to say. The sound is incredible. I was smiling like a fool on the way to work because the sound I was hearing was something I have never heard for what we payed for these things..These seem to get better and better with more use and burn. It wouldn't surprise me if these need a full 200 hours of burn for full potential. They have improved and the sound now is just stupid.

I don't know which one I like over the other. Both of the new JVCs are astounding..I think I like them both for the different sounds they represent. Both compliment each other a perfect one two punch.  One for more acoustical and I have to admit vocal music on the FX40 is something else. It is just a beautiful sound. The other for EDM, and my hiphop collection. Rock n metal..

May 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #1,521 of 100,574
Quote:

Perhaps I didn't give my HA-FX40 enough burn in. It is getting more burn in right now.

As for driver size, perhaps part of what matters is some sort of  relationship between the size of the driver to the distance from the eardrum, so a small driver very close to the eardrum might have a much greater impact than a larger one further away.  I guess the impact may be related to the distance to the second power. Of course it is much more complicated than that, as microdrivers within the ear canal greatly minimize the amount of sound being reflected off the walls of the ear canal.High frequencies are so directional and seem to be affected to a much greater degree by reflection than lower frequencies. That might explain why the highs on microdriver IEMs sound so unusual.  Regular headphones also have to contend with how the shape of the outer ear affects the sound.

May 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,522 of 100,574
Ok. First of all, these sound very good.

They seem a bit treble happy to my ears. The overall sound is cool and vocals are a bit distant, but it could be because I've been listening to the ASG-1. Sub-bass is pretty nice though. These are great for trance though. I'm listening to Tiesto's "No memory from Yesterday," and it sounds pretty damn good. I can definitely hear the V-shaped signature, which seems to be Dave's favorite type of sound. They also rock out at metal.

The sounstage is huge for an iem of this size. I had a couple of out of head moments when listening to James Blake's "Limit to Your Love."

The drivers are fast as hell too. Almost on the same level as the GR07, which is pretty frickin crazy for the price. It also doesn't mess around with instrument separation.

I can't really say I'd personally recommend it for vocal lovers, but anybody who loves EDM or fast paced rock/metal CANNOT pass these up, especially when you take the price into consideration.

May 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,524 of 100,574
Just got my JVC FX40s...been listening for appx 20 minutes.

Instant impressions:
  1. Separation & clarity is on par with $100-150 level headphones.
  2. Has a classic "in your head" soundstage that is common with most IEMs. This is accentuated by a sub-bass that feels like its coming from the middle of your sinuses.
  3. Sub-bass is a little more forward than the Philips SHE3580s, but the extention isn't quite there. The 3580s have the 18-30HZ rumble that these are lacking.
  4. Seem like they might be a little hiss prone.
  5. Also seem to be picky about both the source and source material. From my HTC Arrive they sound pretty mediocre, yet I plug them into my PC and suddenly WHOOOMP, THERE'S THE SOUND! 
  6. The highs do definitely have a little bit more sizzle than I would prefer, I suspect they'll tame enough with burn.
  7. Have I mentioned the separation and clarity yet? 

So far, and I hate to say this because I was such a huge fan of them, but I would have to say the sound is better than the SHE3580s. DSNuts was right. :p 

I look forward to trying these with both my ZO2 and Soundmagic A10. Also will be interested in A/B'ing with my MMDTs since at first blush separation and clarity is awfully close.

(The redness is because I had been wearing Senn cirucumaurals for 3 hours or so before hand.)

May 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,525 of 100,574
got my 40s from buy.com's ebay page... probably better to just get them from buy.com or amazon. 101's are $16 shipped, which is relatively hassle free.

anyone have any ideas as to mods to tone down the highs? Other than tips, that is. None of the tips i've got did anything for those highs.

May 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #1,526 of 100,574
Quote:
anyone have any ideas as to mods to tone down the highs? Other than tips, that is. None of the tips i've got did anything for those highs.

I've tried both the foamies that come with them and some complys I had laying around. Same with both of them, no attenuation. I think the bore on this IEM might be too large to have much impact from foamies.

May 21, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #1,527 of 100,574
So I do a lot of critical listening on the drive to work and back. Yes I am guilty of listening to my portable rig while I drive. I took my well burned in FX40 home and started to listen to them on the way to work this morning.. Journeys greatest hits and then some Steve Miller band.

Damn guys I don't know what to say. The sound is incredible. I was smiling like a fool on the way to work because the sound I was hearing was something I have never heard for what we payed for these things..These seem to get better and better with more use and burn. It wouldn't surprise me if these need a full 200 hours of burn for full potential. They have improved and the sound now is just stupid.

I don't know which one I like over the other. Both of the new JVCs are astounding..I think I like them both for the different sounds they represent. Both compliment each other a perfect one two punch.  One for more acoustical and I have to admit vocal music on the FX40 is something else. It is just a beautiful sound. The other for EDM, and my hiphop collection. Rock n metal..
Completely agree. With just these two phones I don't think anyone would need another. Hit em hi and low for under $50. If anything an awesome starting point.

May 21, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,528 of 100,574
Quote:
Ok. First of all, these sound very good.

They seem a bit treble happy to my ears. The overall sound is cool and vocals are a bit distant, but it could be because I've been listening to the ASG-1. Sub-bass is pretty nice though. These are great for trance though. I'm listening to Tiesto's "No memory from Yesterday," and it sounds pretty damn good. I can definitely hear the V-shaped signature, which seems to be Dave's favorite type of sound. They also rock out at metal.

The sounstage is huge for an iem of this size. I had a couple of out of head moments when listening to James Blake's "Limit to Your Love."

The drivers are fast as hell too. Almost on the same level as the GR07, which is pretty frickin crazy for the price. It also doesn't mess around with instrument separation.

I can't really say I'd personally recommend it for vocal lovers, but anybody who loves EDM or fast paced rock/metal CANNOT pass these up, especially when you take the price into consideration.

These change once you burn them. They will be more impressive once you commence the burn. Trust me on this. The distant sound the v shape. Lol. Wait till you hear these after about 100 hours.. Trust a bro. Burn like you have never burned before..You will change your statement about vocal music once you burn these..Lol.
Quote:
Just got my JVC FX40s...been listening for appx 20 minutes.

Instant impressions:
  1. Separation & clarity is on par with $100-150 level headphones.
  2. Has a classic "in your head" soundstage that is common with most IEMs. This is accentuated by a sub-bass that feels like its coming from the middle of your sinuses.
  3. Sub-bass is a little more forward than the Philips SHE3580s, but the extention isn't quite there. The 3580s have the 18-30HZ rumble that these are lacking.
  4. Seem like they might be a little hiss prone.
  5. Also seem to be picky about both the source and source material. From my HTC Arrive they sound pretty mediocre, yet I plug them into my PC and suddenly WHOOOMP, THERE'S THE SOUND! 
  6. The highs do definitely have a little bit more sizzle than I would prefer, I suspect they'll tame enough with burn.
  7. Have I mentioned the separation and clarity yet? 

So far, and I hate to say this because I was such a huge fan of them, but I would have to say the sound is better than the SHE3580s. DSNuts was right. :p 

I look forward to trying these with both my ZO2 and Soundmagic A10. Also will be interested in A/B'ing with my MMDTs since at first blush separation and clarity is awfully close.

(The redness is because I had been wearing Senn cirucumaurals for 3 hours or so before hand.)

Good to see you getting these my friend. I will tell you right now because you are a bass lover..If you haven't gotten them yet. Try out a FX101. Be prepared for a nice surprise.  Happy listening fellas.. And BURN!!!! These Carbon nanotubes are EXTRA STIFF. Burn baby burn!!

May 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,529 of 100,574
Man, I almost succumbed and hit the button on those two JVCs, but came to my senses quickly! I'm have my ASG-1.2 coming back to me soon; I have the $15 Scosche IEM856 dual dynamic/BA driver coming in; and the $72 ATH-CKM500. I think that's enough for me. Plus I know I'm going to get that Vsonic hybrid, and perhaps the JVC FXD80. Then I want a couple of new customs, so I will live through you guys on some of the cheaper but great sounding stuff. I do believe you though, because not as cheap, but the Audiofly AF45 is outstanding to retail for $60 or less.  Happy listening.

(oh, forgot I have the JVC FXT-90 - when my buddy ever return it back to me - to satisfy that JVC house sound I love so much)

May 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,530 of 100,574
Damn, I wrote most of a lengthy review of the fx101 phones and somehow deleted it all.  I really don't feel like doing it again so here is a coles notes version:

Very good sounding at the price, I'm not kidding these could easily go for a higher price based on the sound alone.  The build quality of the phones themselves seems solid enough, the cabling is very thin and cheap looking especially at the plug and where the cable goes inside the housing on the phones, but the big upside is that there is very little microphonics on these so I'm not complaining.  Aesthetically speaking they look like budget phones targeted at teens/preteens but the sonic capabilities of these are something else.

The phones come with 3 sizes of tips which should really do for most people, I ended up sticking my smallest tips from the old nuforce ne700x when experimenting but the stock tips worked right for me as well.  Comfort is 10x better on these for my ears than the nuforces, for people with small ear canals like me these JVC are very nice, ne700x would hurt within an hour of listening while the fx101 are comfortable for hours.  Isolation is also very good on these, quite a bit better than the ne700x but the nuforces were never said to isolate very well even with a tight seal, no such problem with the fx101 if you need isolation.

Soundwise thumbs up from me, there is great clarity and detail in almost all frequency ranges, the fx101 is much more efficient than my now dead nuforces, I'd say the nuforces needed at least 30% more juice to reach the same sound pressure level as the fx101.. the slight downside of this sensitivity is that when no music is playing but the player is turned on there is a very faint hiss that can be heard, this is on a cowoni9 with an amp powerfull enough to drive Ultrasone HFI780 quite decently so with other players the hiss may be inaudible.  To me not a big deal, I don't listen to absolute silence on my player so..

The sound signature is a fun V shape as expected, though to me the first half of the V (the lower end) is much more pronounced.  Right out of the box I found the bass as a whole to be overbearing, nice and meaty sounding but a bit overdone and somewhat wrong to my ears because it would hide detail in the lower bass range and bleed into the mids a bit, it just sounded a tad boomy.. playing with the EQ I found that dropping a narrow band at 135Hz by 2db changed the phone from a good budget bass phone to something wonderfull.  In fact after playing with the EQ for hours I'm not touching the other ranges at all anymore, I may find a more optimal setting for the bass yet but that 2db drop at 135Hz has taken a lot of the boomyness out and brought out the detail in the mid and lower bass area, it's smoothed the lower end out nicely in comparison to what it was.  I'm sure I'm not perfectly flat on the bass response but it is much much better and the detail is that approaching what I had with the ne700x now, and it's still quite fun.  Extension is good as well, songs recorded and mastered with a wide dynamic range really show presence in the sub bass, especially after adjusting the upper bass down a bit.

The mids and highs are just about right to me on the fx101, taking down the upper bass has also helped the mids out a bit which were not too bad to begin with.. again I won't claim a perfect balance but I've not needed to touch any of the other frequencies, there's lots of detail and clarity across the ranges.

To conclude, these are an awesome deal at $30, if you're buying them for under $20 in the states it's a steal because the sound is comparable to higher class phones.  The higher end IEMs may or may not offer you more than this budget phone but if the difference is 5% or 10% in quality I'm not sure another $100,$200,$300 is worth it to me, that is up to you to decide.  Only complaint I have is the bass tuning on these phones out of the box, I prefer fixing mids and upper ranges with the EQ as I find it much easier but I think I found something quite nice in the end, I think the bass is now more enjoyable than the nuforce ne700x which was fantastic in it's own right.

Cheers Dsnuts, I like my FX101s.. wish we had US pricing up here cause then I'd be all over the fx40 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back