The discovery thread!
Mar 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #1,171 of 100,436
Na they won't stop making them. They will just throw in new housing and cords and call them by a new name. I don't know if you followed this entire thread but yes. Philips is very guilty of reusing the same drivers and do minor tweeks to their drivers via new housing and such. I kinda don't blame them however as they have a great driver in the one they have in the SHE3580.  Very solid sound for a smallish driver.

It all stems from the older SHE9700.. I am certain the same driver then went into the SHE3580, and now the SHE5105... All 3 have a very similar sound yet slightly modified with tweeks on each.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #1,172 of 100,436
hello guys got my isurus RMA'ed coz' something's wrong with the right iem(something is shaking inside it like somethings broken). 
frown.gif
frown.gif
anyway i'm looking for iem replacement while my isurus is out for replacement (which will take awhile i think) and i'm eyeing on soundmagic MP21 any reviews on these iem sir Dsnuts?or any suggestions on iem's with inline mic on it (still be using it for answering phone calls too) thanks and more power

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,173 of 100,436
Unfortunately I don't own those but for the most part soundmagic stuff is good haven't read too much negatives on any of their products and those seem like a good alternative to the isurus to use on your phone. I would go for it. See how they work out. @ $25 that seems to be a solid deal. Let us know how you like them if you try them out. This is indeed the discovery thread.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #1,174 of 100,436
Ok thanks for the reply.. 
ksc75smile.gif
.. i've been reading reviews over the net and i think it's a nice product on it's price range though i'm looking for review's on users and head fi guru's like you..but i think it's worth the try hehe

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #1,175 of 100,436
So which one is better (what's the difference), the Thermaltake Isurus or the Philips SHE3580? I'm asking this because I can get them for the same price.

I like the fact that the Thermaltake Isurus has a mic though.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #1,177 of 100,436

Quote:
So which one is better (what's the difference), the Thermaltake Isurus or the Philips SHE3580? I'm asking this because I can get them for the same price.

I like the fact that the Thermaltake Isurus has a mic though.

TT Isurus is a flatter sound signature to the SHE3580..

If you want a more analytical sound, extended highs very clean presentation Bass a bit north of neutral, Solid impact and extends pretty crazy =Isurus. Isurus is crazy with trance and rock. Jazz.
The SHe3580 wins in the bass and a more fun sound signature but surprisingly easy to listen to..If you want bass I would go for the SHE3580. Hiphop, pop, rock, dub. Anything with good bass.  If you want more balanced extended sound and prefer detail go for the isurus. Both are excellent for being their particular sound siganture.  Just go for the one that sounds better for you.   .

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,178 of 100,436

Quote:
TT Isurus is a flatter sound signature to the SHE3580..

If you want a more analytical sound, extended highs very clean presentation Bass a bit north of neutral, Solid impact and extends pretty crazy =Isurus. Isurus is crazy with trance and rock. Jazz.
The SHe3580 wins in the bass and a more fun sound signature but surprisingly easy to listen to..If you want bass I would go for the SHE3580. Hiphop, pop, rock, dub. Anything with good bass.  If you want more balanced extended sound and prefer detail go for the isurus. Both are excellent for being their particular sound siganture.  Just go for the one that sounds better for you.   .

Thanks for the quick response!

From what you're saying it looks like I'm going to like the SHE3580 better. I already ordered the TT Isurus, but who the hell cares for only a couple of bucks, right? I do enjoy good bass in music, but I've heard people saying things about certain headphones that would make you think they were bass-heavy while in reality they weren't at all to me, and the other way around. I'm not saying that you don't know what you are talking about, but sound is different to everyone! I might enjoy the TT Isurus even though they aren't bass-heavy at all. And besides the sound they have other advantages too. I heard the build quality is better, and of course the mic is a big plus since I'm using my phone (Nexus S) as a MP3 player.

If I really dislike the bass, or rather the lack of it (although I doubt it), the Voodoo Sound mod might help me out in that department! Gotta love the internet...

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #1,180 of 100,436
Right now I have four 'bargain' IEMs that I want to buy:
- Thermaltake Isurus
- Monoprice 8320
- Focalprice CK-700
- Philips SHE3580

But is it correct that the TT Isurus is kinda like an upgraded MP 8320? Would it be unnecessary to buy the MP 8320 if I already have the TT Isurus? The MP 8320 is hard to get for me in the Netherlands and I am afraid that, because of the huge drivers, they aren't going to fit in my small ears.

And do you know how the Focalprice CK-700 holds up against the other three? You are kinda the 'bargain-hunter' but I don't think the FP CK-700 was your discovery so you may not have a pair for yourself. I imagine the sound signature of the CK-700 is very similar to the sound signature of the SHE3580.

I'm going to use the TT Isurus first untill it breaks or untill I start to dislike it. Then I will buy one of the other IEMs, untill I've tried all four of them. I love good sound quality but expensive IEMs just aren't for me. I can't afford it if I break or lose them all the time. I can't imagine how careful I would need to be if I bought 100 dollar IEMs, let alone 500 dollar ones...

Right now I'm the most enthusiastic about the Focalprice CK-700. Just like the SHE3580 they have a lot of bass, but the sound is more detailed as opposed to the warm sound of the SHE3580.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #1,181 of 100,436
Apr 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,182 of 100,436
LOL, as resident expert of the SHE3580 I wish I could say I knew the answer
tongue.gif

BTW, here in HK it seems the SHE3580 are getting replaced by the SHE3590 Xinn3r posted about here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-thermaltake-isurus-the-philips-she3580-the-iem-discovery-thread/1110#post_8224538

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #1,183 of 100,436

Quote:
By the way, what does the number after the slash mean? For example, amazon.co.uk sells the Philips SHE3580/10 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHE3580-10-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B003U2S53Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333290467&sr=8-1), and amazon.com sells the Philips SHE3580/28 (http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHE3580-28-Colors-Headphones/dp/B003BT69Z2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333290556&sr=8-1), and I've also seen a Philips SHE3580/27 somewhere.

Don't worry, the number after the slash only relates to the country their sold in, so /28 = USA, /10=UK etc

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,184 of 100,436
I just got the Thermaltake Isurus and the Philips SHE3580.

First reaction;
- Philips SHE3580: MY GOD they are comfortable!
- Thermaltake Isurus: MY GOD the clarity!

The Philips SHE3580 is a wonderful IEM. You can really feel the bass, which is impressive for IEMs this small. And I can see myself wearing these all day! They are super comfortable due to their size. Overall they are amazing 'fun' earphones for the price.

But I was the most impressed by the Thermaltake Isurus. The clarity of the songs I listened to was amazing. I could really distinguish every instrument. I even heard some instruments I had never heard before! In fact, I even think that the clarity/soundstage (I don't really know what audiophiles call it) is better than that of the Brainwavz M2. And that is a great pair of earphones.

The TT Isurus isn't even THAT uncomfortable. Sure, compared to the SHE3580... But it is better than I thought.

I'm SO looking forward to trying the Monoprice 8320 and the Focalprice CK-700! When I have them, I will compare all four of them!

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #1,185 of 100,436
I've listened to the SHE3580 and the TT Isurus some more and I really start to like them both. I'm still the most impressed by the TT Isurus, but that's just because I'm used to more bass-oriented IEMs. I never would've thought that analytical IEMs could sound so good!

There are songs that don't suit the TT Isurus at all. Take Hilltop Hoods (hip-hop) for example. For that kind of music you really got to "feel" the bass. But there are songs that really shine on the TT Isurus. The first song that surprised me was "Iguazu", by Gustavo Santaolalla (yes, from Deadwood! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzlTvDD-7ws). I heard some guitar parts that I had never heard before. I also liked "Wax Box Music" by Lorem Ipsum (from The Wire :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFyW6GrqUk4), even though that song has an amazing bass that one would think to be more fun to listen to with more bass-oriented IEMs. "The Funeral" by Band of Horses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMFWFhTFohk&ob=av2n) probably surprised me the most. Not only did the guitar sound great, the "oooohoooo" at 1:03 was just perfect. The voice of Woodkid in his song "Iron" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkb0kDacjs&ob=av2e) was also amazing with the TT Isurus. And last but not least, "Feel Alright" by Steve Earle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHTLioJGXb4)!

I guess I like guitars and voices the most with the TT Isurus. Piano songs were also beautiful. Songs with a lot of bass.... not so much. I also noticed that on higher volumes the TT Isurus sounds a little... "harsh", I guess... Does that make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back