The discovery thread!
Jan 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #751 of 100,672
From the 3 budget iems I've gone & purchased ( the Isurus, the Monoprice, & the Philips SHE3580) the set I'm enjoying the most overall so far is the lowly Philips, due to the fact they are easy to insert, I can use the stock tips, & they sound GREAT!! Plus I have been hanging them up so that the cable has relaxed a bit, making them easier to unfurl & use. I'm not saying that they sound the best out of the three, but they are currently my "go to" set due to good SQ & ease of use.

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #752 of 100,672

Quote:
To be clear, I haven't heard any of the CKM range. The AT mention probably does a disservice to the Isurus as it should stand on it's own merits. It actually does bear a good resemblance to my ES55 but I don't think they share a driver
wink_face.gif
. Can be good to compare to a more well known product to give an idea of how it performs. Of course you need to take it with a grain of salt, as always, when it is not compared to the real thing but Joker's description of it. At least Dsnuts stated that and also that he did not own the CKM99. If left to do over again I'm sure he would have left the AT rebrand thing out. 

I apologize jant71, it was takoyaki7 who I was thinking of but typed your name for some reason.... And he probably hasn't heard both. So maybe no one has heard both? 

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #753 of 100,672
Do not forget that Isurus may be losing some SQ due to the cable, its replacement may further increase the SQ, who knows? for something high-end iem brings good cables.

Im trying Now, remove some polyester Blue from Internal cup Housing....from here sound comes out in back.....vents are not totally open with glue used to fix the tip.

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #754 of 100,672
Thread title changed.. I have decided to continue this thread as a discovery thread for budget fi.. Considering that there are so many out there in iem land that we as a community have not discovered yet. Instead of making several threads based on newly found ones we can throw our efforts on this one. The Isurus and the Philips SHE3580 to me set standards for what we can expect for solid budget fi stuff around here and if any of you guys have comparable earphones that the rest of the community might enjoy as well please feel free to post your impressions of them on this thread.

I appreciate to all that have purchased the 2 earphones and more based on this thread and I hope we will continue to find greatness in cheaper alternatives that will break the bar set by these 2 iems. As always fellas. Happy listening.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #755 of 100,672

Quote:
From the 3 budget iems I've gone & purchased ( the Isurus, the Monoprice, & the Philips SHE3580) the set I'm enjoying the most overall so far is the lowly Philips, due to the fact they are easy to insert, I can use the stock tips, & they sound GREAT!! Plus I have been hanging them up so that the cable has relaxed a bit, making them easier to unfurl & use. I'm not saying that they sound the best out of the three, but they are currently my "go to" set due to good SQ & ease of use.

I felt the need to do that cable thing as well. Clipped to something with a little weight to them and hang them over a chair back. It seems to get a bit better. Maybe needs another night of "treatment" though. I like the stock tips. I use the large on my TF10. Not sure I have settled on tips for the Philips. The Head-direct big bi-flanges sound quite good and make them sound less intimate/close together and a bit more open. They could use a cord slider but the newer 3680 seems to have both a case and cord slider to add to the package.  

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #758 of 100,672
I am still interested in hearing more what ppl think of the Brookstone clear doubles vs the Isurus...
I now have the she9700 on the way and think that maybe that plastic wiring cover from the housing can be removed and make em more discrete. I would rather them over the she3580 for the convenience of not having to play with the EQ.
Not excited about the she3580 and the she9700 cable they have... the cc51 cable is horrendous.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #759 of 100,672

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with the Klipsch X1s, theyre about the same price as the TTs on Amazon UK

Also, any update about the SHE3570 being the same as the SHE3580?

They seem to be the same. Though I don't have the SHE3570 I am certain at least they share the same driver and design. Even the newer 3680. I think all 3 use the same drivers as the housing is exactly the same. Many Companies just add a few cosmetic changes and then call them something new. I think this is the case for Philips here. They know they got a great sounding phone this is yet another way to cash in on what they have.

Quote:
On further listening I'm finding the treble a bit harsh on the SHH3580's. Do they settle down over time?

Burn them in. I don't find the treble harsh at all on mine. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #760 of 100,672

The back cover is a clip. is taking with the tip of a scalpel.....nothing broke
Now is the time to experiment, various materials, rubber, fabric, cardboard, fiber glass, etc. ....

for example, put on cotton fabric enhances the sub bass, making sound slightly warmer.

Using nothing improves the surrounding.

TT is a great iem to Modding.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #762 of 100,672

I decided to take the fabric in cotton, and get a half piece of lycra lady.

IEM is now a completely open .... but still with some warm with lycra ..... I think I prefer the original covers with sound more analytical.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #763 of 100,672

Quote:

I decided to take the fabric in cotton, and get a half piece of lycra lady.

IEM is now a completely open .... but still with some warm with lycra ..... I think I prefer the original covers with sound more analytical.

Wow. So you prefer the original?

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #764 of 100,672

V-shaped FR. The bass is present, goes quite low.  Highs are detailed and can be kinda harsh if you turn up the volume, but I haven't really fully burned them in yet.  Oh yeah, the one thing you'll notice when you first put them on is the soundstage. 
Quote:
looking forward to see how it turns out.
anyone get the she9700 without the OEM packaging that can comment?

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #765 of 100,672
soundstage that good?. The she9850 got harsh as well, not super deep bass but heavy enough.
If the she9750 are the bass monsters for philips then something like Xears td-xx would be a fairer comparison for them... anyone?

Quote:
V-shaped FR. The bass is present, goes quite low.  Highs are detailed and can be kinda harsh if you turn up the volume, but I haven't really fully burned them in yet.  Oh yeah, the one thing you'll notice when you first put them on is the soundstage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back