The discovery thread!
Jan 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #391 of 100,514

Quote:

I can hear that these are a gaming phone and the way they separate and position/image is at times not very accurate at all for music(though enjoyable IMO)

I find them quite adequate. I've compared live orchestra and choir pieces, and the separation and imaging isn't far off from my GR07

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #393 of 100,514
Yea, that should be changed and is a bit of an overstatement. They seem to tend to exaggerate the left right panning of vocals and some other oddities at times. Some things are placed at different depths than normal that monitors like my Carvin and the KRK6400 won't even do. Ety's neither but again they are a gaming headset and they present more like a gaming set than a monitor. I do like it so it is an observation and not a knock. I've owned some of the phones like the DDM1 and SM3 that have unique presentations as well as some monitors and "accurate" phones and can enjoy aspects of both.  

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #394 of 100,514

Quote:
Is it just the sound positioning or does the sound siganture sound similar too?

Just the positioning. The GR07 has a more mid-forward presentation, and the treble is less pronounced

Quote:
Yea, that should be changed and is a bit of an overstatement. They seem to tend to exaggerate the left right panning of vocals and some other oddities at times. Some things are placed at different depths than normal that monitors like my Carvin and the KRK6400 won't even do. Ety's neither but again they are a gaming headset and they present more like a gaming set than a monitor. I do like it so it is an observation and not a knock. I've owned some of the phones like the DDM1 and SM3 that have unique presentations as well as some monitors and "accurate" phones and can enjoy aspects of both.  

It just seems to me that the soundstage is more wide than it's deep

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #396 of 100,514
I haven't heard the Philips but the 5010 is an absolute bassmonster with the black plates on. Moreso than the bassiest stuff I've heard by Monster if that gives you any indication.

Quote:
Any one try the xeport 5010 and the Philips, I need a new budget IEM and was torn between the two and was wondering which has more bass and fits a hip hop genre.

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #397 of 100,514
dsnut is not lieing when he says the isurus needs a serious burn, not any pink or white noise put some bass pounding type music and they are opening up big time. as for the xeport 5010 vs the phillips 3580, xeports was my favorite of the bunch especially the bass, but when my phillips came in mail the phillips became my favorite right out the box! they are that good...although the build of the xeport was the best of the bunch...

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #398 of 100,514
Well I will back up what Selenium said about he XePort 5010. Stupid amount of bass on those. That being said. If you want more of a proper bassy sound I would try a philips as the bass on them are no joke and can hit them low notes with no issues whatsoever.  I love how hiphop sounds on the SHE3580. In fact not just bassy tunes but any music sounds good on them. If bass is your number one priority then go for the Xeport 5010. If you want something more than just bass then go for the Philips.. Also the JVC FAX1X is no joke in the bass department either.. Either way you are talking about crazy amounts of mind numbing bass. With the black plates on the 5010 we are talking too much bass.

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #399 of 100,514
yeah agree with 5010 at first went with black plates thinking thats what i wanted, but i went back to the gunmetal plates much better. the isurus are sounding better but im having problems getting a good seal, i changed them to meelectronics biflanges better not optimal, gotta try something else. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #401 of 100,514
Quote:
Got my isurus. They sound so... bad. Monoprice beats them by a mile. They sound like from under the water. Bass isn't controlled. They are very harsh. I am disappointed...

Tbo, I'm close to giving up on the Isurus and donate them to a colleague at work who's an avid gamer. There are just too many drawbacks in my book, apart from the fact that the sound-sig isn't my cup of tea, J-cord, microphonics, no over-ear, need for extension cord with most of my DAPs.

The SHE3580 are more carefree and sound better, I might just get a backup pair of these instead.

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #402 of 100,514
I am listening on all kind of genres. All my music sounds awful with isurus. Sibilance, harshness uncotrolled bass, bad  clarity... I give up. Will leave them burning, maybe that will help somehow.
EDIT: No, I'm lying. Guitars sound better on this earphones than on Monoprice.

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #403 of 100,514
the problem im having with isurus is fit, the little plastic arms should have been flared outwards like the xeeports, not flared inwards. this causes them to touch my checks a little and this causes leaks, the phiilips still sound much better, for 10.00 is unbelievable...

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #404 of 100,514

Quote:
Got my isurus. They sound so... bad. Monoprice beats them by a mile. They sound like from under the water. Bass isn't controlled. They are very harsh. I am disappointed...

Nitpit, have you tried different tips on them?

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #405 of 100,514
A short announcement from the guy that brought you the giant killer SHE3580
biggrin.gif

So guys, I'll be busy for the next few days and dropping off the radar for a while.  Before I leave I thought I'd throw this out and see where it sticks... the Philips SHE9620
9620 (gold) 9621 (purple) 9622 (black)

Like Dsnuts I was curious about exploring other Philips and got these for $25 but apparently they can be had for anywhere from $10 to $15... in gay translucent gold or purple or manly black
biggrin.gif
The only thing the store got was purple so that's what I got
tongue.gif

I've analyzed them on my parametric equalizer.  Here, take a look at how they sound to me:

Firstly here's how the SHE3580 sounds like to me.  (I took my parametric EQ settings and inverted them, it becomes a frequency response graph of sorts.)  ie a bass hump extending all the way down to the audible extreme, with peaky treble (which as I mentioned is to some extent unavoidable in earphones due to ear canal resonance)

Here's how the SHE9620 sounds like to me.  Bass is pretty much the same as the SHE3580 (with perhaps a tad less strong subbass below 40Hz; not shown on the graph), but treble is literally smoother, with only two peaks instead of four.  The number of treble peaks could be used as an objective measure of out-of-the-box unEQed treble quality; I profiled the Etymotic ER-4P and they had just one treble peak.  There's also less treble in quantity compared to the SHE3580.

I would like to post more conventional sonic impressions ("on yada yada song the cymbals sounded like yada and the vocals sounded like bada") but I'm pressed for time and the above characterizes the difference between them to my ears quickly.  Suffice it to say that I only spent one morning creating the EQ profile for the 9620 and I like what I hear so far and the EQ profile is less peaky and less hilly, possibly meaning even better sonic quality than the SHE3580 for those who don't EQ.  I do wonder if the lowered treble quantity will be the undoing of these for some though, because I don't hear many people complaining of overbright highs on the SHE3580, so less treble could mean dull treble for them, especially next to the strong bass.  Certainly if you're one of those few complaining of bright highs on the 3580 the 9620 could be for you
etysmile.gif

Oh, and for those of you complaining about the build of the SHE3580, the 9620 is built really nice, with nice thick tangleproof 'clothy' cable, chin slider, and a nice padded pouch to put them in :)

Anyway, have more cheap-fi fun!
beerchug.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back