The discovery thread!
May 23, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #102,841 of 106,576
I was getting some sibilance on SLT6 with the TP50. Switched to CDA-M1P. Switches set to up/down, black liqueurs, 4.4mm. VERY NICE. Just enough bass for my preference, smooth and creamy vocals, extremely well done treble imo. Good rec @ToneDeafMonk!

That dongle is pretty bright I would recommend something warmer for that SLT6 if you have.

Try using the 'slow' filters on the TP50.

May 23, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #102,842 of 106,576
Z didn't say it sounds bad, he just said its not playing within its peers without the dongle. And there's my problem with this hole DSP dongle trend. But sure, for people solely listening via their smartphones, this might add some value... but is that us here? As you mentioned, you like switches and nozzle tunings, as I do, so don't get me wrong, this DSP hype is not a big deal for me, even though I might have sounded really pixxed about it. I'm not, because we gladly have such a vast number of alternatives that I just look elsewhere, that's all.
This IEM shines with this setup and album.

27969E85-C87A-4768-9BD4-B770C6662099.jpeg

The DSP dongle is frankly unnecessary, at least IMHO.

May 23, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #102,843 of 106,576
For my taste also, a little more bass and it would be perfect. But Letshuoer models I have tried all been a little safe on bass side.

Use them now without EQ, but when at home with Hiby dap I apply a small dynamics bass boost with the plugin 👌
Uhhhh, Im just missing a Bass boost from Ifi, probably it would make them perfect.

I would try to give them a little bit of punch on bass side.

Well, SHOUER got some bass cannons on their line: EJ07M, S12 or my lovely SOLOIST (wich recently broke for lot of abuse...) are really dark.

May 23, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #102,844 of 106,576
This IEM shines with this setup and album.

27969E85-C87A-4768-9BD4-B770C6662099.jpeg

The DSP dongle is frankly unnecessary, at least IMHO.
I see DSP use as taking on the audiophile stigma of EQ. Though I will keep an open mind for a year or two....and see, I mean hear.

May 23, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #102,845 of 106,576
I see DSP use as taking on the audiophile stigma of EQ. Though I will keep an open mind for a year or two....and see, I mean hear

To my ears, this particular DSP dongle makes this IEM sounds more Harman than the stock, neutering its advantages (bass and warmer sound). And it has a faint waterfall hiss as well. And it’s insanely loud at 9/100 volume level.

May 23, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #102,846 of 106,576
I’ve noticed that too, balanced seems to anchor and tighten the bass like crazy, and open up the rest of the sound.
I noticed the same: the bass is more prominent, and the sound opens up quite a bit, which can be perceived as a larger soundstage. The differences are all but marginal. Obviously, the amount of alteration, especially the soundstage one, is strictly DAC-related, but this only affects the "amount" of it; the change itself happens regardless.

To further verify the alterations in sound between PO and BAL, I ended up using all my (three models: Red Chain, T2 Pro, and T3 Pro) TRN modular cables so that I could have a stable variable when comparing 3.5mm vs. 4.4mm.

At the end of the day, with all three cables—let aside the unique differences they each apport to sound because of different impedances and materials used—the increase in bass and perceived soundstage was a constant when switching from PO to BAL for all of them.

In this regard, I would like to add that, compared to some time ago, I don't consider BAL the inherently "superior" experience anymore. I'm starting to think they both have their merits. For example, in PO, among many other things, the sound tends to sound more crispy and "concentrated" than it does in BAL; also, the added bass in BAL does not always mean a better experience, especially with already bassy IEMs. Anyway, I think both are good in their own way and also different enough to be both worth experiencing.

And that's one of the main reasons why lately I've been buying only TRN modular cables. I think their versatility is well worth the investment, they sound very good, they are quite comfortable, and their price is extremely competitive too. (Also, I don't know any other companies that produce such good modular cables at this price; if someone has any recommendations, I'd very grateful!).

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #102,847 of 106,576
To my ears, this particular DSP dongle makes this IEM sounds more Harman than the stock, neutering its advantages (bass and warmer sound). And it has a faint waterfall hiss as well. And it’s insanely loud at 9/100 volume level.
Well we can’t forget MrWalkman’s firmware for the WM1A and WM1Z. He never totally spilled the beans, but the sound is DSPed to a point far from totally natural. This stage is the giveaway! :) I mean he did say that part of it was sound processing, I mean what else would make the stage wider than stock? The loud part must be the new tech. I mean the other predisposition as far as respect comes from the thought that these little cords don’t get loud! But it sound like they do! I have yet to hear a stand alone one, my only DSP was hard wired into the cable.

It is when you can get some horsepower behind it and become careful how much you administer to not upset the purists amongst the audiophile clan........

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #102,848 of 106,576
Uhhhh, Im just missing a Bass boost from Ifi, probably it would make them perfect.

I would try to give them a little bit of punch on bass side.

Well, SHOUER got some bass cannons on their line: EJ07M, S12 or my lovely SOLOIST (wich recently broke for lot of abuse...) are really dark.
Never found S12 that bassy except when EQed, and it got that sharp metallic upper midrange just screwing up any warmth. The S15 has much less upper mids and it helps, but still planar bass (DD fanboy)

Looking at measurements the EJ07M should be a little more warm than Cadenza4, still within what's natural I guess. Would probably love it, measurement look like something for me.

1000041661.png

In a way the Cadenza4 is like a little brother of the Mega5EST that's so popular now, just a little extra vocal clarity on Cadenza4 and not as good air as Mega5EST.

Almost every set coming out these days are decent, cannot be easy right now to make top a IEM that will succeed for a long time.

May 23, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #102,849 of 106,576
I noticed the same: the bass is more prominent, and the sound opens up quite a bit, which can be perceived as a larger soundstage. The differences are all but marginal. Obviously, the amount of alteration, especially the soundstage one, is strictly DAC-related, but this only affects the "amount" of it; the change itself happens regardless.

To further verify the alterations in sound between PO and BAL, I ended up using all my (three models: Red Chain, T2 Pro, and T3 Pro) TRN modular cables so that I could have a stable variable when comparing 3.5mm vs. 4.4mm.

At the end of the day, with all three cables—let aside the unique differences they each apport to sound because of different impedances and materials used—the increase in bass and perceived soundstage was a constant when switching from PO to BAL for all of them.

In this regard, I would like to add that, compared to some time ago, I don't consider BAL the inherently "superior" experience anymore. I'm starting to think they both have their merits. For example, in PO, among many other things, the sound tends to sound more crispy and "concentrated" than it does in BAL; also, the added bass in BAL does not always mean a better experience, especially with already bassy IEMs. Anyway, I think both are good in their own way and also different enough to be both worth experiencing.

And that's one of the main reasons why lately I've been buying only TRN modular cables. I think their versatility is well worth the investment, they sound very good, they are quite comfortable, and their price is extremely competitive too. (Also, I don't know any other companies that produce such good modular cables at this price; if someone has any recommendations, I'd very grateful!).
Yeah, I’m kinda stuck at a crossroads with the Falcon Ultra, it needs balanced so it can breathe and counter the treble roll off but the upper mids are already forward and crispy enough, so it’s overkill unless I get a balanced source that doesn’t emphasize the mids.

May 23, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #102,850 of 106,576
I have Kefine Delci and Jialai Carat in my HiFiGo cart. After the Himalaya, which brought me sooo back to love 1DDs, I wanna have now a well performing 1DD budget IEM, since we gladly hear a lot about these lately.
Or would there be even a better recommendation sub 100$?
(I like more a relaxed tuning with good but not overwhelming bass, well presented mids, and smooth but detailed highs)
Please help me decide :wink: :beerchug:

Oh, I just saw the TRN Medusa is already good to order... Oh well...
The Delci sub-bass might be a bit too much for you even though I love it. I suggest the Artti R1. Excellent set for $80.

But again, you have a better 1DD with the Himalaya. Why buy a budget set? Wouldn't you just gravitate to the Him every time? People can slice their bread as they please, but I never understood the logic of buying a lesser set of the same configuration unless it was a throwaway for the gym, cutting the lawn, etc.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #102,854 of 106,576
Never found S12 that bassy except when EQed, and it got that sharp metallic upper midrange just screwing up any warmth. The S15 has much less upper mids and it helps, but still planar bass (DD fanboy)

Looking at measurements the EJ07M should be a little more warm than Cadenza4, still within what's natural I guess. Would probably love it, measurement look like something for me.

1000041661.png

In a way the Cadenza4 is like a little brother of the Mega5EST that's so popular now, just a little extra vocal clarity on Cadenza4 and not as good air as Mega5EST.

Almost every set coming out these days are decent, cannot be easy right now to make top a IEM that will succeed for a long time.

Leo, your screenshot FR graph from Mark is IEF compensated, he recently (quite some time ago actually) put on the IEF compensated graph on default, so to see the "normal" graph you have to turn of the IEF compensation button

This is the graph of the 3 non IEF compensated :

1111.png

May 23, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #102,855 of 106,576
Leo, your screenshot FR graph from Mark is IEF compensated, he recently (quite some time ago actually) put on the IEF compensated graph on default, so to see the "normal" graph you have to turn of the IEF compensation button

This is the graph of the 3 non IEF compensated :

1111.png
Look the same to me other than mega5 colour and the scale. What am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back