The discovery thread!
May 22, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #102,586 of 106,536
I've really been enjoying these with the blue nozzles, seems slightly brighter than my MK3s. Probably because of the earlier 2k peak. I do still grab the MK1s from time to time whenever I need to scratch that itch.

These drivers just have a different texture and sense of air compared to other single DDs.
For brightness are you referring to pinna gain? Unless I’m mistaken and the treble is in fact not super similar between the sets.

Edit: Nvm, just saw your comment about 2k lol.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #102,587 of 106,536
Darkness my friend!!! That pilgrim noire graph…

1716349160032.gif
Darkness is relative to the playback volume, isn't it? :wink:

1716354570485.png

May 22, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #102,588 of 106,536
The much too early comparison between the CCA Trio vs KZ ZS10 Pro 2

This one is still, in my opinion, too early to call, but I can tell you, these two can TRADE BLOWS!! UUUU for each for even playing field.

Treble : KZ ZS10 P2 >> CCA Trio - Treble is an easy win for the KZ. The shimmer, air, and tonality take me back to the Hifiman RE0, but with more control. It's a type of treble that you usually find in well tuned EST's (DUNU EST112/Mofasest Trio/SFR MT300), where it's ethereal and shimmers and it just goes until it feels like ending. The Trio's treble is darker, has less air, and just doesn't have the same extension, though neither has any real spikes or shrills and are controlled. I just like the tonality better on the KZ.

Mids : CCA Trio > KZ ZS10 P2 - Very close. KZ has a tad more warmth, but really, not much more. Both are vocal forward, but Trio is slightly more forward, and maybe the Trio has fuller vocal presentation both male and female? Guitars bite nicely for both, but the KZ has more note weight than the Trio when it comes to piano, keyboards, etc. Trio has slightly, ever so slightly, more detail reveals in the mids, but it's negligible.

Bass : KZ ZS10 P2 > CCA Trio - I know some owners of the Trio said the bass can seem a bit unrefined at times, and I also can agree to an extent, but this is not a problem with the KZ. The bass is resolving, elastic, punchy, has presence, does not bleed into the mids, is clean and fast. You can make out individual notes and plucks, and when you need thump and sub bass, there's plenty of that available, especially in UU mode. It will please bass lovers just as much as treble heads. The Trio can provide that, just not as resolving and definitely not at the quantity. I personally have nothing against Trio's bass. I enjoy it.

Resolution : KZ all day. One of the strengths of this IEM is that the resolution is top tier, even against some of my more expensive units, and is more resolving and clear than the IE600, Shangri-La, IE800, EA1000, EA500LM, and pretty much punches even with the Aures. Trio has decent to good resolution, and was one of my beefs from the start, as well as others. It could be better, and the KZ are better.

Stage and Imaging : CCA Trio = KZ ZS10 P2. I put the CCA first, though it's even, because if this was a photo finish, the nose might be the Trio? From the beginning. the special sauce of the Trio was it's amazing orbital and flexible stage, with equally excellent width, depth, and height. with black background, good spacing between instruments, and near pinpoint imaging on the stage. It's what made many of us say WHOA!! So I think the KZ comes close, but....maybe...not quite as orbital as the Trio? It's got really good staging and imaging, but maybe not quite the depth, though height is good too. Even stevens?

Detail retrieval : Man, I'm conflicted! CCA = KZ? Both EXCEL in details and in presenting things in the music you might have considered hidden. The KZ are more resolving and clear overall, with the Trio being warmer, but both can spit out deets, reverb trails, obscure notes, and peel complex tracks like an onion with aplomb. Both are detail monsters, but taking different sonics to get there.

Verdict? Didn't I say at the top of this novel that it's still too early for a verdict?! Well...it is! So stop asking. Go away!

***Sorry. Crappy photo. I have to bolt to the store for a bit. No time. LOL

Would agree with you on the comparison, specially the treble and bass is of higher quality and resolution on ZS10 Pro 2. The bass quality is actually very good and better than many other more expensive sets.

But I still get fatuiged after listening to this KZ on more energetic music or for longer sessions. I'm very sensetive to bad quality upper mids and that's probably why, as it does have some of that grainy sharper upper midrange. Not the first KZ and CCA giving me this problem, why I tend to only like the dynamic driver models 😅

But I cannot deny this being a good value of them, especially looking at the price 💯

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #102,590 of 106,536
For brightness are you referring to pinna gain? Unless I’m mistaken and the treble is in fact not super similar between the sets.

Edit: Nvm, just saw your comment about 2k lol.
In the video, MK3 treble graphs higher than MK4, but my sets sound the opposite to my ear. Maybe unit variance as well? Wish I had a coupler to measure lol.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #102,591 of 106,536
In the video, MK3 treble graphs higher than MK4, but my sets sound the opposite to my ear.
The 2k boost as indicated in the graph will give the perception of a less dark sound like you said cuz mids aren’t as shadowed by the bass. I think the sharpness of the mid treble plus the 2k boost should sound pretty balanced.

May 22, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #102,593 of 106,536
Would agree with you on the comparison, specially the treble and bass is of higher quality and resolution on ZS10 Pro 2. The bass quality is actually very good and better than many other more expensive sets.

But I still get fatuiged after listening to the KZ on more energetic music or for longer sessions. I'm very sensetive to the metallic upper mids and that's probably why, as it does have some of that grainy sharper upper midrange. Not the first KZ and CCA giving me this problem, why I tend to only like the dynamic driver models 😅

But I cannot deny this being a good value of them, especially looking at the price 💯
The highs will smoothen out a bit with 100+ hours of playtime, and you could try out some small bore tips (e.g. Type E's) to help with the upper mids and highs all so slightly.

May 22, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #102,594 of 106,536
Just teased on their Facebook

ISN H60 - 2 Dynamic Driver +4 Balanced Armature Hybrid Audiophile IEM

1000041426.jpg

May 22, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #102,596 of 106,536
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my experience with the Hisenior Mega5est IEM. First off, the packaging is impressive. It comes with several sets of ear tips, a nice cable, and a waterproof case, which is a great touch.

IMG_20240519_222144.jpg

As for the sound, the Mega5est has a warm signature with a slight dark tonality. The bass quality is excellent, though it does cover some of the mid-range. I found myself needing to raise the volume a bit to hear the mids clearly, but they still sound nice. The mid-range is a bit laid back, giving the vocals a more relaxed presentation. The treble is detailed but not overly forward, making it easy on the ears for long listening sessions.

Overall, the sound is good but on the laid-back side, which makes it great for extended use. However, I personally prefer the sound signature of the Moondrop Variations. The Variations offer better sub-bass, cleaner bass, a more forward vocal presentation, and a bit more detail. In terms of technicalities, the Mega5est is average compared to the Moondrop Variations, DUNU SA6 MK II, Elysian Pilgrim, and Moondrop Dusk 2, which all have better detail retrieval.

graph - 2024-05-21T155601.912.png

So, who is the Mega5est for? In my opinion, it's a great option for those who aren't fans of the Harman target curve or find it a bit shouty, or for those who want to try something different. It's also excellent for long listening sessions due to its relaxed sound. Another great aspect is that you can order it as a CIEM, making it a versatile choice. The build quality of the IEM and the cable is high, though I wish it came with interchangeable termination plugs.

IMG_20240519_222331.jpg

Overall, the Hisenior Mega5est is a solid IEM with a warm, laid-back sound that's perfect for long listening sessions.
It's scary just how much I cringed reading the description of the sound LOL If there was a personification of the Anti-me soundwise, it's reading THIS.

May 22, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #102,597 of 106,536
May 22, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #102,599 of 106,536

But I still get fatuiged after listening to this KZ on more energetic music or for longer sessions. I'm very sensetive to bad quality upper mids and that's probably why, as it does have some of that grainy sharper upper midrange. Not the first KZ and CCA giving me this problem, why I tend to only like the dynamic driver models 😅

Yep. At $35.00 a piece when not on sale, both are incredible values in audio, and I just put some Coreir brass tips on the ZS10, and it sent the quality upwards. Also, still making my way through my genre playlists (I'm still leaning towards Trio for metal, but that could just be from it's still too early to judge the KZ).

May 22, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #102,600 of 106,536

Users who are viewing this thread

Back