The discovery thread!
May 11, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #101,251 of 102,836
Hello to all.
Here is my humble opinion about the Kiwi Ears Singolo.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kiwi-ears-singolo.27108/reviews#review-33866

Kiwi Ears Singolo 24_r.jpg

May 11, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #101,252 of 102,836
Just ordered a set of the Sivga Nightingale.

In the process of finding a new set, I realized something about IEM reviews (both here and elsewhere). Almost all reviewers seem incapable of judging IEMs by any metric other than their own--or someone else's--personalized "preference curve." It makes it almost impossible to find useful reviews of non-neutral IEMs. It's like reviewers are incapable of understanding an IEM on its own terms, without insisting it cater to their (often surprisingly narrow) preferences. It's a bummer. And I'd wager that more than anything else, it's the reason there are so many same-sounding neutrally tuned IEMs flooding the market, especially in the under $200 range.

May 11, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #101,253 of 102,836
Just ordered a set of the Sivga Nightingale.

In the process of finding a new set, I realized something about IEM reviews (both here and elsewhere). Almost all reviewers seem incapable of judging IEMs by any metric other than their own--or someone else's--personalized "preference curve." It makes it almost impossible to find useful reviews of non-neutral IEMs. It's like reviewers are incapable of understanding an IEM on its own terms, without insisting it cater to their (often surprisingly narrow) preferences. It's a bummer. And I'd wager that more than anything else, it's the reason there are so many same-sounding neutrally tuned IEMs flooding the market, especially in the under $200 range.
my man woke up today and decided to drop some knowledge on this thread lol.

Definitely going to keep this in mind with my own reviews more.

May 11, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #101,255 of 102,836
my man woke up today and decided to drop some knowledge on this thread lol.

Definitely going to keep this in mind with my own reviews more.
Ha. Wasn't meant as a call out. Just a minor frustration. I mean, no one wants to make an IEM that no one likes. But the market is so insanely saturated that it seems like fertile ground for bringing overdue attention to outsider tunings. Not just the unknown brands and models, but the under-appreciated voicings. I'm thinking in particular about speaker and full-size headphone brands who are known for making non-neutral, unorthodox tunings at affordable prices (boutique brands like Zu Audio and Grado, and also large corporate brands like Klipsch and Sennheiser).

I'm not saying there aren't IEM brands that don't depart from the norm. There are, obviously. But they almost always get blasted for it.

May 11, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #101,256 of 102,836
Finally caved in and came to your senses :wink:. I had my Magni Unity with me at work the other day and had the Hydro and Dusk to choose from. Hydro was the obvious choice as it is so much fun and engaging to listen to. Straight 5 star tuning chef they have over at CCA. My favorite of the year so far.
Even more excited now with your recc!

May 11, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #101,257 of 102,836
Haven't had that much time yet with AüR Audio Aehta, but I can say I really like this. No need to brain adjustment, liked it from first track. Biggest surprise to me is how clear and resolving it is, quite certain this is the most transparent and technical model from AüR.

I know some dont like switches, but they work so well here. Being able to go from a more neutral bright tuning 011 to a bassy L shaped signature 100 is awesome, makes it very versatile.

DSCF5101.jpg

Also photos with size comparison against some other AüR models: Aehta - Ascension - Aurora - Alita

DSCF5104.jpg

DSCF5106.jpg

DSCF5110.jpg

May 11, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #101,258 of 102,836
May happiness bless you no matter what you're listening to! :grinning:
Thanks! At this very moment, before I start my work shift, are the Kiwi Ears Cadenza. I spent the morning listening to the Z300, and to my ears, these two are related. They sound very much the same, with the same kind of bass tonality, blur, and resolution, as well as treble extension and character. The Z300 has wider and deeper stage, but that's about the extent of their differences. Both are musical IEMs that lack technical ability, but are fun!

May 11, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #101,259 of 102,836
Ha. Wasn't meant as a call out. Just a minor frustration. I mean, no one wants to make an IEM that no one likes. But the market is so insanely saturated that it seems like fertile ground for bringing overdue attention to outsider tunings. Not just the unknown brands and models, but the under-appreciated voicings. I'm thinking in particular about speaker and full-size headphone brands who are known for making non-neutral, unorthodox tunings at affordable prices (boutique brands like Zu Audio and Grado, and also large corporate brands like Klipsch and Sennheiser).

I'm not saying there aren't IEM brands that don't depart from the norm. There are, obviously. But they almost always get blasted for it.
That's what we have @o0genesis0o for. He likes to point out those IEMs that are weirdly tuned or out of the box tuning or off-kilter but intriguing tunings are sharing them with us.

May 11, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #101,260 of 102,836
That's what we have @o0genesis0o for. He likes to point out those IEMs that are weirdly tuned or out of the box tuning or off-kilter but intriguing tunings are sharing them with us.
For sure. I feel like this thread has been an excellent resource. Just wish that the folks who spent so much time and effort on reviews didn't feel so constrained by preference and target curves. The whole concept of a "preference target" is ludicrous to me. It's like saying that green beans in butter and garlic sauce is your "preferred flavor target" and anything that departs from that "profile" is complete garbage. Seems silly.

May 11, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #101,261 of 102,836
Akros said that the Tangzu Xuan NV isn't as good as the Trio which has me screaming internally because I BADLY want that lovely red IEM over the rather ugly gray Trio... hmm.

The Xuan NV is super comfortable balanced sound. I think if you had a large collection, it may not make sense since it won't excel in any one thing but if you wanted something that's a step up, IMO, I like it. I also haven't tried the trio though.

May 11, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #101,262 of 102,836
For sure. I feel like this thread has been an excellent resource. Just wish that the folks who spent so much time and effort on reviews didn't feel so constrained by preference and target curves. The whole concept of a "preference target" is ludicrous to me. It's like saying that green beans in butter and garlic sauce is your "preferred flavor target" and anything that departs from that "profile" is complete garbage. Seems silly.
I absolutely can't relate to this problem, but I wonder if that may stem from me not reading reviews anymore because I gave up on the idea of upgrading.

The thought of finding an upgrade for me seems like a colossal task when I EQ like this:
graph (28).png

Not sure how I'd go about interpreting reviews when I EQ like this either. And don't ever count on me writing reviews ever. Doing so would probably test everyone's sanity.

May 11, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #101,263 of 102,836
I absolutely can't relate to this problem, but I wonder if that may stem from me not reading reviews anymore because I gave up on the idea of upgrading.

The thought of finding an upgrade for me seems like a colossal task when I EQ like this:
graph (28).png

Not sure how I'd go about interpreting reviews when I EQ like this either. And don't ever count on me writing reviews ever. Doing so would probably test everyone's sanity.

Finding something inexpensive you like and that has been reliably measured, and then EQ-ing it to your favorite target, is one way to get to where you want to be. If that’s what makes you happy, then more power to you. 🎶👍

May 11, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #101,264 of 102,836
Oh boy, Simgot about to wreak havoc on my bank account again...

Dafuq, a new one?

My Supermix4 hasn’t even left their warehouse / factory 💀

Not new, but still ba. Hell of a set. I thought I'd share with ya'll.

Casually flexing Elysian, aren’t we 😤

How does that IEM match your target so well?How is it even possible.

Diva 2023 is something I respect but not really crazy about when I tested. Maybe it’s the shells and comfort problem.

I think most people I know make it clear that preference curve is to visualise the signature they like rather than to “judge”. Sir guy vsg28 for example makes it clear in every review.

Neutral target is another topic though. Because IEM has no “flat”, it is important to have a target that shows “flat” so we have an anchor to discuss (“too bright”. Okay, bright against what?) Of course there are those who review IEM by how many dB they are away from Harman curve. Even Harman target creator Dr Sean Olive mentioned on twitter that he is disappointed when people match the curve rather than thinking, so

I like to remain open minded but the neutral target is there for a reason. Some (expensive) IEMs are so wonky that I just can’t 😂

But I do like oddballs like Yvain and Gaea, because most of my other IEMs sound roughly the same.

Your upgrade should be a campfire audio IEM. Big bass, tight peak way before 3kHz and then all over the place in the treble region. Without looking at the label, I thought it is Dorado or something from the chromatic series 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back