The discovery thread!
May 9, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #100,997 of 103,036
My thoughts exactly! Build quality is superb for even sets below $200. The cable is ok for me but definitely better than a lot of sub $50 sets. Vocals do sound intimate but still engaging and it's a great option for a somewhat relaxing listen.
100%, I wasn't going to do any kind of formal review for these, but seeing the shell in person and being able to take them out and about with me today AND seeing your review has inspired me.

I might take some pics and write up a little something-something on these bad boys.

May 9, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #100,998 of 103,036
The RU7 is a mighty fine dongle, especially at $188! It’s got a few quirks but the sound it produces is lovely, lush warm analog tone.

The DC-Elite is more neutral in comparison, I would not say bright but it trades the analog feel from the RU7 for improved soundstage and a much more dynamic presentation. Bass is tighter and punchier, treble is shinier and has better roll off, and I really cannot overstate how impressive I find the soundstage DCE presents. Listening to Joe Hisaishi this morning was a revelation.

There is a high/low gain switch on RU7, DCE trades that for a 4 step attenuator that reduces the dB by one each time.

I noticed far more noise on the RU7 when doing things like typing on a phone or changing the volume… there is a slight hiss on DCE when you change the volume but it’s much less of an issue.

Also, it’s just heavier. It really must be stated, this tiny little dongle is as heavy as a DAP probably. You won’t have the DCE hanging from a cable like you can other dongles.

using it between devices is easy as pie as well, and you can change the volume on windows settings when it’s connected.
I could not get the RU7 again at the same price. The company would not sell me the item at the same price after I failed to get it. Not a good practice.

May 9, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #100,999 of 103,036
The RU7 is a mighty fine dongle, especially at $188! It’s got a few quirks but the sound it produces is lovely, lush warm analog tone.

The DC-Elite is more neutral in comparison, I would not say bright but it trades the analog feel from the RU7 for improved soundstage and a much more dynamic presentation. Bass is tighter and punchier, treble is shinier and has better roll off, and I really cannot overstate how impressive I find the soundstage DCE presents. Listening to Joe Hisaishi this morning was a revelation.

There is a high/low gain switch on RU7, DCE trades that for a 4 step attenuator that reduces the dB by one each time.

I noticed far more noise on the RU7 when doing things like typing on a phone or changing the volume… there is a slight hiss on DCE when you change the volume but it’s much less of an issue.

Also, it’s just heavier. It really must be stated, this tiny little dongle is as heavy as a DAP probably. You won’t have the DCE hanging from a cable like you can other dongles.

using it between devices is easy as pie as well, and you can change the volume on windows settings when it’s connected.
You have me very intrigued… I have too many (for me) dongles, but given that the two I’m using regularly are the iFi Kensei and the RU7, if the DC Elite is that much better than the RU7, well, I might need to break down…

May 9, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #101,000 of 103,036
I could not get the RU7 again at the same price. The company would not sell me the item at the same price after I failed to get it. Not a good practice.
trying to decide if I want to write up a review for the RU7 before I was putting it up on classifieds... I can let you know first if you like.
You have me very intrigued… I have too many (for me) dongles, but given that the two I’m using regularly are the iFi Kensei and the RU7, if the DC Elite is that much better than the RU7, well, I might need to break down…
i highly suggest a demo. I try not to recommend blind buying things more than $300 (even if i dont follow that practice myself xd) but I do think the DC-Elite is worth seeking out if you are tired of looking at dongles and want to skip to the end.

May 9, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #101,001 of 103,036
CCA Trio

I am royally pissed. Primarily at myself, for not holding steadfast to my commitment, to avoid the sub $50 market. But on one of the recent AliExpress "sales", adding the $20 CCA Trio to my cart, took my coupon codes to the next tier. So I figured what the hey, for a net loss of $10 (after the bump up in the coupon codes), I'll give the Trio away. After validating my belief, that this pricing tier is great for figuring out your preferences and then moving up, towards mid-Fi.

But no, The CCA Trio is frickin gorgeous, not visually, but the playback can make a basshead drool uncontrollably; no it doesn't punch above it's weight class or disrupts the pricing tier. the Trio decimates all contenders, to a level that I can't quite define right now. As I would choose the Trio over the likes of the OG, Xenns Mangird Tea and even (my recent adoration for) the 7hz Legato. As both the Tea and the Legato both suffer from differing levels of mid bass bloat; which can be EQ'd away.

I'm at basshead level, on the DIP switches: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_down:

To help my fragile belief system (in you have to play in mid-Fi, to get your money's worth), I've slapped on a NiceHCK Black Jelly, Graphene Hybrid 7N OCC cable. Now at least the IEM, tips (Penon) and the cable bring the pricing around . . . $50. Shoot, I'm still in the same pricing tier.. Thanks CCA, for messing with both my ears and my head.
CCA Trio.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #101,002 of 103,036
CCA Trio

I am royally pissed. Primarily at myself, for not holding steadfast to my commitment, to avoid the sub $50 market. But on one of the recent AliExpress "sales", adding the $20 CCA Trio to my cart, took my coupon codes to the next tier. So I figured what the hey, for a net loss of $10 (after the bump up in the coupon codes), I'll give the Trio away. After validating my belief, that this pricing tier is great for figuring out your preferences and then moving up, towards mid-Fi.

But no, The CCA Trio is frickin gorgeous, not visually, but the playback can make a basshead drool uncontrollably; no it doesn't punch above it's weight class or disrupts the pricing tier. the Trio decimates all contenders, to a level that I can't quite define right now. As I would choose the Trio over the likes of the OG, Xenns Mangird Tea and even (my recent adoration for) the 7hz Legato. As both the Tea and the Legato both suffer from differing levels of mid bass bloat; which can be EQ'd away.

I'm at basshead level, on the DIP switches: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_down:

To help my fragile belief system (in you have to play in mid-Fi, to get your money's worth), I've slapped on a NiceHCK Black Jelly, Graphene Hybrid 7N OCC cable. Now at least the IEM, tips (Penon) and the cable bring the pricing around . . . $50. Shoot, I'm still in the same pricing tier.. Thanks CCA, for messing with both my ears and my head.

ha ha ha! oh dear. Another one bites the KZ dust. You made me reach out for the Trio, now.

For you:

For me:

May 9, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #101,003 of 103,036
CCA Trio

CCA Trio.jpg
I regularly complain here about KZ and CCA's business policies, but I have to admit that this product of theirs is exceptional in its own way. I agree that in the under €30 price range they are currently mocking everything I've heard so far and are able to stand proudly up to more expensive stuff. For me they are such a Blon BL03 of today, something that has done amazingly well for its price.
I see you've got the Liqueur on them. I used them too, until I got the best sonic consistency with the S&S. Worth a try, as the comfort is also absolute with the S&S.

May 9, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #101,005 of 103,036
Well it is like production of new pair of shoe examples. Being that yes we have a single review out, and it may take a few reviews to obtain what the value reality ultimately is? Sure part is a subjective reality (like due the design of how the shoes fit your feet) then there is an objective reality to where....how does the Voltage go up against the current TOTL Flagships. This thread isn't really for the style of money asked for the Voltage. I'm mean sure there are a few members who sport over 1K IEMs, but this is not really the place for it. As such you're going to find a skeptical slant that simply shows a few fish out of water. :)
I agree with you. Discovery is mostly about discovering the BEST VALUE in sound (this was the origins of Ds's original post), though all discoveries and prices are warranted and welcome here, but this isn't going to find it's footing on the Watercooler thread (which is where the big spenders commiserate) either, because they like bougee and boutique, and Penon ain't it in those circles. How did that Impact do? I never hear ANYTHING about it. Or that uber expensive Tansio Mirai RGB? Yeah. Neither are ever mentioned in the "budget no limit" threads. As far as shoes, those limited run and boutique shoe companies know as soon as they release a shoe, regardless of price, it's going to SELL OUT. Almost instantly. This will not be the case here. I GUARANTEE it.

May 9, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #101,006 of 103,036
KZ Marge
($14, 1 x 10mm SuperLinear DD, 1 x 8mm DD)
https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-merga

---
Huh, not as cheap as i expect. Surprisingly, it seems they didn't cut down the DD.
it seems Marge uses ZSN2's 10mm DD, Trio's 8mm DD, and still uses proper crossover.
i suppose the cut down in places that didn't directly affect the sound like the removing the metal faceplate and foamies

which makes the 1DD, $15, KZ Libra which supposedly uses the same 10mm DD in odd position.
not to mention this is cannibalizing Castor segment tough this Marge might equipped with a DD upgrade
Interesting.

May 9, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #101,007 of 103,036
That's why I cced Leo! Hopefully he has a graph.

I am no way qualified to talk about 'undisputed emperor' based on my limited experience of hearing iems of that quality. I can only say it's the best iem I have experienced, but again that doesn't say much given my very very modest selection of iems owned.

I was half-jesting but with the knowledge that it's (single-dd beast) is a judgement of the much-more-iem-experienced and qualified Leonardfd.

He wrote recently as well that it was his fav single DD iem.

I do believe, however, the newer versions from 634ears are even better.

But yeah, over to @Leonarfd . See Leo, if only that review of yours existed, I could just throw that link and be done with it.
Me too. I have a few warm smooth IEMs in my collection, but most of those made their way there by happenstance and mis-purchase, as this is NOT my preferred sound signature, but ironically, I'm currently enjoying my latest warm smooth purchase (Oriveti OD200). I also have the KEF M200/M100, with it's warm sig, as well as the Kiwi Ears Cazenza.

May 9, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #101,008 of 103,036
I agree with you. Discovery is mostly about discovering the BEST VALUE in sound (this was the origins of Ds's original post), though all discoveries and prices are warranted and welcome here, but this isn't going to find it's footing on the Watercooler thread (which is where the big spenders commiserate) either, because they like bougee and boutique, and Penon ain't it in those circles. How did that Impact do? I never hear ANYTHING about it. Or that uber expensive Tansio Mirai RGB? Yeah. Neither are ever mentioned in the "budget no limit" threads. As far as shoes, those limited run and boutique shoe companies know as soon as they release a shoe, regardless of price, it's going to SELL OUT. Almost instantly. This will not be the case here. I GUARANTEE it.
It's not an established brand, you see.

May 9, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #101,009 of 103,036
How does this sound on your favorite iems

Thanks for posting. I only have my Oriveti OD200 next to me as well as my Simgot EA500LM. Listening to both, I've come to terms that the EA500LM is a more technically capable IEM, due to the much cleaner midrange. The OD200, though it has more impactful bass, also has some mid bass bleed, which means though the bass hits harder and fuller, details can get a bit hazy or veiled compared to the EA500LM, which provided a very clear and wide sonic landscape. Both are comparable in stage and imaging, with nice space between instruments (sounds). I'd have been more inclined to sell the OD200, to give them a better home, but I don't want to part with the cable. I love that Oriveti modular cable. Can't part with that, so won't sell the OD200.

May 9, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #101,010 of 103,036
Glad to hear you're both doing well, physically.

But don't minimize the trauma of the impact and the aftermath. I've watched a lot of "Judge Judy" and "The People's Court", so I feel well steeped in my belief that you'll need a way to release this ever escalating PTSD and the only possible relief will come from the $1.2 K, Penon Voltage; which the guilty party's insurance company should fully reimburse you for. 👿
Thanks to all of you for the kind words...and LOL Wouldn't that be great if I could bill their insurance company to pay for an Annihilator? I'd be on that in a sec!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back