The discovery thread!
May 8, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #100,891 of 103,036
Ended up ordering the Himalaya...
Stoked!

May 8, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #100,892 of 103,036
FiiO FA19 landed, I can absolutely understand your high praise for these @baskingshark - I always have a soft spot for an all BA set, and loving these in the first 30 minutes of listening… highly technically competent, refined and engaging tuning. Oh and impressive BA bass, the vented sub woofers definitely work some magic. Nearly bedtime here but difficult to put these away!

IMG_3611.jpeg

IMG_3623.jpeg

May 8, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #100,893 of 103,036
As an aside how is that r5?
Does it stream as well? Is it better than R4?

I see a demo unit is on a generous discount

Just buy R4 mate 😂

If that blows your mind... Check this game

Also got a beautiful OST

Man, some people really got up and do something with their life.

maybe I should log out of headfi…

I 💚 that dark green color! Might have to look for a used pair as I've always been curious about FAudio

Or grab a project ACE 🤔

May 8, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #100,894 of 103,036
IMG_7609.jpegIMG_7608.jpeg
Immense sound out of this… wow.

Thank you Bloom Audio for the giveaway!!!!

May 8, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #100,895 of 103,036
May 8, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #100,896 of 103,036

$500 gift card well spent! Congrats on the win! (I hate you 🤣)

May 8, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #100,897 of 103,036
May 8, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #100,898 of 103,036
Oh wow, DC Elite! Impressions please 🎉
I wish I had more time today, only going to be able to get like half an hour before bed time… this is only a few songs in, but this is truly pinnacle portable sound.

soundstage sounds huge, the first time I’ve noticed a major change there just from a source… overall just really dynamic in every way. The treble sounds smoother, more twinkle on the shiny parts than the RU7… bass isn’t as bloaty, much more punchy. The analog tone from RU7 was nice but this is what I was looking for.

Insanely impressed with the build quality too. It’s quite heavy but is just so high quality.

May 8, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #100,899 of 103,036
I wish I had more time today, only going to be able to get like half an hour before bed time… this is only a few songs in, but this is truly pinnacle portable sound.

soundstage sounds huge, the first time I’ve noticed a major change there just from a source… overall just really dynamic in every way. The treble sounds smoother, more twinkle on the shiny parts than the RU7… bass isn’t as bloaty, much more punchy. The analog tone from RU7 was nice but this is what I was looking for.

Insanely impressed with the build quality too. It’s quite heavy but is just so high quality.
It's the best dongle in my collection!! I have no doubt about that!! The Elite hasn't given my other dongles a chance... in fact, only the Ifi Gold bar has still seen a little use after the Elite arrived. This dongle is amazing!!

May 8, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #100,900 of 103,036
IMG_7609.jpegIMG_7608.jpeg

I loved the DC-Elite when I got to try my friends unit. It's like a compact device with a refined and powerful sound. Hope you enjoy the device.

May 8, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #100,901 of 103,036
0565F408-8A1A-4C74-9B3B-4FE2E5917AEF.jpeg

Unique Melody 3DT (aka TERMINATOR).

Big thank you to @Neweymatt for letting me borrow his personal unit and grumpy pepe @grumpy213 for sending the IEM over.

Years ago when I was wet behind the ears, I wanted to blind buy this IEM from musicteck but I chickened out. I wouldn’t be disappointed if I went for it.

This IEM might be one of the first 3DD IEMs in the world (yes, it’s an old IEM). It has a tight, snappy, and dynamic presentation rather than big wooly and “analogue” like you would expect from 3DD and the wooden shells. The treble, likely 5kHz region, can flare up in some tracks, but fine with most of my library.

The upper treble extension is as expected behind the Anni 2023 and thus micro detail and the reverberation sound is not as apparent. But the details within the midrange is quite good.

The strength of this IEM besides the dynamic presentation is the wide stage and the unique way it shapes the stage. For example, when I watch an episode of big bang theory, it creates a strong impression that the laugh track (or live audience) is behind my ears to the back of my head.

Edit:
image.jpg

Nicer photo in daylight. This IEM has beautiful shells in real life. Given how I was very unimpressed by MEST III build, I’m surprised that it is this well done.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #100,902 of 103,036

Big thank you to @Neweymatt for letting me borrow his personal unit and grumpy pepe @grumpy213 for sending the IEM over.

Years ago when I was wet behind the ears, I wanted to blind buy this IEM from musicteck but I chickened out. I wouldn’t be disappointed if I went for it.

This IEM might be one of the first 3DD IEMs in the world (yes, it’s an old IEM). It has a tight, snappy, and dynamic presentation rather than big wooly and “analogue” like you would expect from 3DD and the wooden shells. The treble, likely 5kHz region, can flare up in some tracks, but fine with most of my library.

The upper treble extension is as expected behind the Anni 2023 and thus micro detail and the reverberation sound is not as apparent. But the details within the midrange is quite good.

The strength of this IEM besides the dynamic presentation is the wide stage and the unique way it shapes the stage. For example, when I watch an episode of big bang theory, it creates a strong impression that the laugh track (or live audience) is behind my ears to the back of my head.
Agreed! 3DT definitely dispelled my preconceived notions of what a triple DD should sound like (ahem Trifecta) and despite not being my favourite was quite surprising in terms of it's staging!

May 8, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #100,903 of 103,036

Edit:
image.jpg

Nicer photo in daylight. This IEM has beautiful shells in real life. Given how I was very not impressed by MEST III build, I’m surprised that it is this well done.
Agreed about the 3DT, a few months back or maybe an year ago @Ace Bee got a unit. Apart from bigger shells, there was not much to complain about.

May 8, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #100,904 of 103,036
The upcoming AFUL EXPLORER - previously known in beta-testing as the Performer 3 - is releasing soon. I tested a pre-production unit at Can Jam Singapore, and the rep was saying it would be a sub-$100 USD IEM.

images 3.jpeg

That was not the final tuning though, but the Can Jam unit sounded neutral with a sub-bass boost. Very balanced with good technicalities for a sub-$100 hybrid. Non-shouty upper mids, good extension at both ends. Very promising tuning, with just a nitpick of slight BA timbre. Fits well too.

images 2.png

AFUL has installed some resonating acoustic tube in this IEM, unlike a conventional acoustic tubing. If you recall the previous AFUL MagicOne, it had a special Nautilus labyrinth acoustic tube, which is an acoustic damper that operates via air pressure to down-throttle certain frequencies; this essentially results in an increased sub-bass resonance, much more than what a traditional single BA can execute.

Capture 3.jpg

Interesting to note that AFUL is employing some exotic tech once again in the Explorer, but of course, the proof is in the pudding for how it actually sounds in the ears.

https://www.facebook.com/AFULAudio/...Pstom4FSx9TPoY9gKfLqLhqBj9jbt2NLsDAHDW5888fhl

I ask this question periodically. What new iems are considered improvements in musicality, tambor, and details? Best all-arounders? Best with complex, layered music? Is there an iem(s) that blends the fullness of sound with details versus being too thin in one area or another? I am more focused on one iem now than in the past. I don't mind saving within the 1000 dollar range for what I would determine as my go-to iem.
FiiO FA19 landed, I can absolutely understand your high praise for these @baskingshark - I always have a soft spot for an all BA set, and loving these in the first 30 minutes of listening… highly technically competent, refined and engaging tuning. Oh and impressive BA bass, the vented sub woofers definitely work some magic. Nearly bedtime here but difficult to put these away!

Yeah @Vonbuddy the Fiio FA19 is one of the best purchases I made this year. Warm neutral tuning with good note weight and excellent soundstage, imaging and layering. Not fatiguing to the ears too.

It has a bass boost switch to add some fun, but otherwise for an all-BA set, the bass doesn't sound like a BA bass due to the addition of a vented sub-woofer. So it doesn't sound thin compared to some all-BA sets which are "sterile".

Fiio FA19 Final.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #100,905 of 103,036
It's the best dongle in my collection!! I have no doubt about that!! The Elite hasn't given my other dongles a chance... in fact, only the Ifi Gold bar has still seen a little use after the Elite arrived. This dongle is amazing!!
Yeah I’m not sure how long the RU7 is gonna stick around lol
I loved the DC-Elite when I got to try my friends unit. It's like a compact device with a refined and powerful sound. Hope you enjoy the device.
Thanks man! I’m really happy with it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back