The discovery thread!
May 3, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #100,441 of 102,672
Might have to try these earplugs. I am getting bombarded with advertisements for 'earloops' too, have you (or anyone else) tried these?

And please tell me more about your singing, I'm only just starting my semi-serious singing career too! I'm releasing a new cover tomorrow actually!
First things first, my friend: I watched the video of your rendition of "My Way." You have a terrific, sonorous voice! Eager to hear your new cover.

I'm not as smooth or suave of a front man as you. I'm the lead singer of a "Dad rock" band -- we're all in our 50s and 60s -- that plays bar gigs in the western suburbs of Syracuse, New York. Classic rock, alternative, jam band, alt-country, a bit of country, Southern rock.

We play our asses off every gig. So, along those lines, I sing from the bottom of my feet on every tune -- not much for subtlety! Bon Scott of AC/DC is my favorite front man in music history, if that gives you any indication of my style and influences. But unlike Bon, I keep my shirt on at every gig. I also don't have hair to my shoulders like Bon -- I'm bald. :)

I'm also the lead singer in an acoustic duo. Me and a guitar player. Mainly softer rock, alt-country, country.

No experience with any quality earplugs besides Earasers. I started with crap foam plugs and graduated to Earasers upon the recommendation of one of the guitar players in our band, who swears by them. He was right -- they're excellent.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #100,442 of 102,672
Depends. Take out the Trio and the 500LM. Don't critically analyze them, just sit back and listen and don't worry about the flaws. Which one speaks to you the most? If that is the Trio then the Hydro is going to make you smile. If that is the 500LM, the Hydro isn't going to change your mind as it's very much like the Trio.
Oh I've done that many times now. The Trio gives me the wonder of discovery. It likes to dig and reveal and still remains fairly musical (despite the mids lacking some weight, as many have pointed out), and the LM is more about the musicality, that warmth in the mids, and the sparkly treble extension that brings a smile to your face, while still exhibiting the revealing nature (just a bit more subtle though than the Trio).

May 3, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #100,443 of 102,672
Not in cohesion and timbre.

EA500 LM whips Delci for detail and technicalities. But I'll take the Delci's tuning and timbre seven days per week. Absolutely zero listening fatigue, while the EA500 LM made me wince at least once nearly every track.

My take on the EA500 LM is that Simgot's sound engineers got into three isolated rooms. One made the best bass possible for the budget range. The next made the best midrange possible for the budget range. The last made the best treble possible for the budget range. Then all three groups presented their creations individually, and they were stuffed into a beautiful chrome shell without a stop for final tuning.

I never got the sense of very good cohesion or transitions between bass and mids, and mids and treble when I tested the EA500 LM. Phenomenal detail retrieval and technical chops for the price in each of the three zones of the frequency response. But they never sounded like they meshed as you sense almost immediately in a richly euphonic, musical set.

But, hey, it's all in the context, right? My favorite headphones are the ZMF Aeolus, Sennheiser HD 6XX and Aful MagicOne. All have the same DNA strands of warm neutral with rolled-off treble and very cohesive, musical tuning. Squeezing the last bit of detail from the treble or the last rumble of boom from the sub-bass aren't bright beacons atop my radio tower.
Thing is i'm not intimidated or bothered by Simgot's top end. Maybe my ears are old? I've mentioned that before, so there shouldn't be any issues with cohesion, since both are single DD's.

May 3, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #100,444 of 102,672
1000031901.jpg

I'm in danger.

May 3, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #100,445 of 102,672
I'm curious about your comparison of the DX300 and R4. I'm aware of the price difference. But, besides the soundstage, what would be the other differences? Are these differences too big? Would R4 be more on the neutral side? I have a DX300 and I'm thinking about getting an R4 for easier portability.

Tuning is also a big difference. The R4 sounds neutral whilst the DX300 with stock amp has more “analogue” tuning with emphasis in the lower frequencies. Depending on listeners, one might say R4 sounds “digital” (whatever that means), others might say DX300 is “coloured”.

Otherwise, I don’t think it’s a huge downgrade. I thoroughly enjoy my IEMs with R4, and switching to W4 and DX300 sounds like upgrade, rather than I am “punished” by listening to R4 (which, excuse my “elitism”, is the case with some DAPs and dongles).

noted that (1) this R4 is loaned sample from HiBy and (2) it might be raffled to someone else so if you don’t see me using it in the future, it’s not pump and dump 😂

May 3, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #100,446 of 102,672
really excited about my path forward in the hobby right now. Got the DC-Elite incoming as well, so depending how things go I’ll be looking to completely eliminate an unnecessary desktop chain as well as some lower end IEMs to save for another higher end set. Got some awesome gear that is collecting dust that could use a more loving home, may throw in some dumb cables I have lying around too!

May 3, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #100,447 of 102,672
really excited about my path forward in the hobby right now. Got the DC-Elite incoming as well, so depending how things go I’ll be looking to completely eliminate an unnecessary desktop chain as well as some lower end IEMs to save for another higher end set. Got some awesome gear that is collecting dust that could use a more loving home, may throw in some dumb cables I have lying around too!
^ Ditto....alas my excitement is still within the budget(>mid) range - the satisfaction of hitting that "best bang for buck" sweet-spot can't really be underestimated. Ok admittedly it's a total rollercoaster, but once you've reached that sense of achievement, it only adds to your satisfaction & reaffirms why you got into the hobby in the first place. After several years of posting on the earbud forum - I continually resisted iems, hence the learning curve has been an uber long/convoluted process - a journey full of highs & lows...but definitely (defiantly) worth it in the long run !! :L3000:

May 3, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #100,448 of 102,672
^ Ditto....alas my excitement is still within the budget(>mid) range - the satisfaction of hitting that "best bang for buck" sweet-spot can't really be underestimated. Ok admittedly it's a total rollercoaster, but once you've reached that sense of achievement, it only adds to your satisfaction & reaffirms why you got into the hobby in the first place. After several years of posting on the earbud forum - I continually resisted iems, hence the learning curve has been an uber long/convoluted process - a journey full of highs & lows...but definitely (defiantly) worth it in the long run !! :L3000:
That's right. I spent nearly $500 for the Aures, which I absolutely adore, as my avatar shows, but recently hitting on the $79.00 LM and the $20 Trio, I'm pretty much cool with tapping out on any more purchases for the time being. I'm feeling real good within this hobby, brotha.

May 3, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #100,449 of 102,672
Yup. I have discovered my sweet spot for now, it’s in the “mid-fi” range and will focus on obtaining the few pieces I am left wanting (balanced cable for my LCD-2C and another TBD IEM). I’ve found my preferred signature, comfort, beliefs, etc to build from here.

May 3, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #100,450 of 102,672

I'm in danger.
I enjoy listening to my set and it's probably the most resolving set I've heard so far, really a tossup between the S8 and IE600.

The S8 is a rather niche listen IMO, there's very little mid bass and mids are borderline shouty.

Now discontinued and not really worth getting your hands on one unless the asking price is around 400 USD which probably ain't happening but I've seen some used S8s go for this amount.

May 3, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #100,451 of 102,672
I enjoy listening to my set and it's probably the most resolving set I've heard so far, really a tossup between the S8 and IE600.

The S8 is a rather niche listen IMO, there's very little mid bass and mids are borderline shouty.

Now discontinued and not really worth getting your hands on one unless the asking price is around 400 USD which probably ain't happening but I've seen some used S8s go for this amount.

I actually got them used for about $400. I'm just in danger because they're really good. I definitely get the midbass feel and mids, but they feel satisfactory enough. A bit thin on some tracks but full on others.

May 3, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #100,452 of 102,672
Yup. I have discovered my sweet spot for now, it’s in the “mid-fi” range and will focus on obtaining the few pieces I am left wanting (balanced cable for my LCD-2C and another TBD IEM). I’ve found my preferred signature, comfort, beliefs, etc to build from here.
That sounds awesome dude - such a cool vibe when you're making inroads into refining all pre-requisite gear/components to deliver your desired signature. This time around I hit mine with the very first buy....surpassed expectations which never happens ever !!...Mid-fi obviously is always on my radar - so to hit it via the budget route is a bonus !!

May 3, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #100,453 of 102,672
That's right. I spent nearly $500 for the Aures, which I absolutely adore, as my avatar shows, but recently hitting on the $79.00 LM and the $20 Trio, I'm pretty much cool with tapping out on any more purchases for the time being. I'm feeling real good within this hobby, brotha.
That's as sweet as bro !!...really glad you're digging your gear....Me too (in comparison with a more limited rotation) however I've had constant goose-bumps this week: repeated playbacks of countless new superb LP tracks: it all adds up to an uber immersive/engaging listening experience - boosting satisfaction levels bigtime !! :L3000:

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #100,454 of 102,672
12747F42-DC16-4341-95D2-642F3726DDD5.jpeg

Based on appearance alone, which one seems more expensive to you?

My vote is for the EA1000 and the NiceHck something cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back